jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
JEdit produces ever increasing number of windows for every jedit start through a VPN connection
Submitted by Xoman08 on Friday, 30 May, 2008 - 11:03
I am using JEdit (4.2 Stable) on an old Linux CentOS (uname -r = 2.4.21) at work and on Fedora 8 at home. On both I use KDE environment. Recently I got VPN connection to work. Then I connect through a ssh -X -C -q -l username machine_name. The connection works well and it feels like working at the office. However JEdit shows some worrying phenomena. If I logout from work when I login into my session through VPN and then I can start JEdit and it will appear at my machine at Home. Everything is fine and well. However If I forget to logout at work, jedit will refuse to appear at my machine at home ... Unlike many other applicatios which do appear at the screen at home. When I get to the office I will see extra windows at the office for each time I started jedit. Also, and this is the most worrying phenomena. For every time I start jedit on a remote connection, even if it doesn't appear on my screen (it appears at the screen at work) a new window appears. So far I have 5 JEdit windows. And that number has increased for every jedit start I have executed through VPN. The fact is that when I get back to the office even after closing JEdit or rebooting the Linux machine, still when starting JEdit I get 5 windows. I am worried that if this keeps going Jedit is going to become unusable. I have been looking at /.jedit folder settings also at /tmp ... Also I have tried to start Jedit from the command line with different versions but still the phenomena persists. Nothing I can find nothing that may indicated something like a "replication of sessions - windows". If anyone can give me a hint of where to look, which files to delete in order to correct this behaviour, I will be very grateful. Does anyone know if there is "professional support" (i.e. read "paid support") for JEdit? This issue is quite urgent, if I don't get it sorted I will be forced to use another editor when working remotely. And even at the office too will be forced to stop using JEdit until this issue is solved. Could this be a bug in Jedit? Probably not, I figure is some issue in this bloody old CentOS that I have to use at work. Thanks for reading.
Locking/Unlocking the Scroll between side by side "Split" Viewing Panes
Submitted by rahnen on Friday, 30 May, 2008 - 15:47
I am trying to uses jEdit to View to Split Pane Buffers side by side and would love to be able to lock and unlock the scrolling. I've looked thru the menus but don't see anything that will allow me to do this. Can anyone help me out?
jEdit won't start...after hibernate?
Submitted by jimmygyuma on Saturday, 31 May, 2008 - 18:42
All my problems started when I upgraded my memory from 1G to 2G. I ran into the 'Not enough system resources...' bug. Tracked down and installed the hotfix for that. jEdit would not run. It was working fine before. Uninstalled it downloaded and installed the new version (jEdit 4.3pre14 using Java 1.6.0_05); still won't run. Maybe a restart is required. Did a restart. jEdit started right up, with the pretty colored icons and all my plugins, macros, etc. Okay, I'm set I think. I almost never shut my computer down, it takes so long to start up, plus it doesn't connect to my always on internet (or didn't, installing the hotfix seems to have jarred something loose in that department.) I started and stopped jEdit two or three times this morning with no problems, but on the third or fourth go, it wouldn't start. Double click on the icon, the hourglass appears for about a second and disappears and nothing further happens. I tried starting it from a command prompt and got 'Unable to access C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar.' I cogitate on it and try another restart; jEdit starts up fine after.

So it seems I have two choices: 1. Keep jEdit running all the time, or 2. Restart my computer before firing up jEdit.

Could someone help me please?

Jim
Insert simple Date (Insert_simple_Date.bsh v1.0 by Robert Schwenn)
Submitted by Robert Schwenn on Sunday, 1 June, 2008 - 20:37
Inserts current date in simple format "01.06.2008" at caret position.
com.mysql.jdbc.Driver not found
Submitted by Cheo on Monday, 2 June, 2008 - 10:40
Hi all

I've got a Netbeans web project working perfectly in my Debian box. I'm using the MVC pattern and would like to give jEdit a go for unit testing my Model.

I'm using a MySQL server, but cannot make my Model work because the com.mysql.jdbc.Driver is not found during run time. It compiles fine.

In my Project Viewer plugin, I right-clicked in my project->Properties->SQL Server Configuration and added my MySQL server.
I'm using the SQL pluggin and have set up the Driver's classpath by doing Plugins->Plugin Options->SQL->JDBS and adding the file mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar. I can run queries in the SQL plugin with no problem and see the results in the SQL Result Set.
I have even added the mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar file manually into ~/.jedit/jars as well.

So, I don't really know what is the problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Sergio
Having trouble creating some macros
Submitted by AzizLight on Monday, 2 June, 2008 - 13:11
Hi everybody, During the last two month all I have done is test programmers' text editor. I'v tested Emacs, Smultron, Eclipse/PDT, Textmate, Notepad++ and of course jEdit. And everytime, I was going back to jEdit, even after using Textmate. However there are some thing in jEdit that are missing and that I have tried to do with macros and wasn't able (because I'm a newbie and I'm not good at creating macros :S) : 1. When I open ... well anything ( "{", "[", "(", "'", """, "<") I want the closing part to appear automatically. That's the easy part and I kind of managed to do it. However, the part I did not managed to do is: if i'm just before a closing one ( "]", ">", etc) and I close it again, then it goes out of it instead of creating a new one. 2. If I have a block that is between curly brackets for exemple, if I double-click just outsite the closing bracket, I want it to select the block that is inside the brackets. There are more macros that are very important and useful but I can't remeber what they are, I will update this post as soon as I remeber.. In a more general way, what I can't manage to do is create macros that make more than one thing (with conditions for exemple)... Voila. Can someone give me instructions, advice or even hints on how to achieve that please? Thanks in advance, Aziz Light
VFS.copy() ?
Submitted by Langman on Tuesday, 3 June, 2008 - 20:14
I am having problems using the VFS.copy() API to copy a file from the FTP-VFS to the local-VFS. I get a NPE before anything is copied. Is this API designed to allow coping from one VFS to another?
OpenIt Plugin Work-Around: Eliminate Indexing Upon First Run
Submitted by hurricanedavid on Wednesday, 4 June, 2008 - 20:59
I used to use the OpenIt plugin all the time. However, at some point, it started to do it's indexing not when jEdit started, but when the OpenIt command was first invoked. This made opening that first file take a few minutes if you had lots to index. So I quit using it.

However, my friend Newton found the solution.

To make it index automatically upon startup -- so that the first time you run it you don't have to wait -- put a BSH file in your jEdit startup directory with the following line in it...

org.etheridge.openit.SourcePathManager.getInstance();

(I named mine "openItStart.bsh")

Link to the Plugin info...
http://plugins.jedit.org/plugins/?OpenIt

This plug-in is at version 1.5 now. And it is currently working on my machine in jEdit v 4.3pre9.
jEdit freezes when running python with raw_input() in Console Plugin
Submitted by Cheo on Wednesday, 4 June, 2008 - 22:48
Hi

I found this issue annoying, as I cannot run any python script in the Console plugin if there is a raw_input() or input() within the code.
I'm using Debian. jEdit simply freezes, with the running icon spinning in the Console plugin, but being unable to do anything at all.

As long as there is no raw_input() or input() in the code, the python command run fine in the Console plugin.

Any idea?
FTP Plugin: usernames containing '@' symbol?
Submitted by painted on Thursday, 5 June, 2008 - 18:21
Hello,

I love jEdit and especially the FTP plugin, it makes my work much easier.

My question is, I have several FTP accounts with the username having a format like:

paul@whatever.com

But when I enter it in the Open from FTP Site dialog, it parses it into something like:

paul@whatever.com@webhost.com

and it fails. Can anyone suggest a way to make this work?

Thanks
ProjectViewer: import file names from a file
Submitted by kalabp on Thursday, 5 June, 2008 - 20:28
I would like to request a feature in the ProjectViewer plugin which would allow me to specify a file containing the list of files or directories in my project (one entry per line). This would be useful in situations where a project spans many directories.
WebDAV Plugin?
Submitted by dmac on Thursday, 5 June, 2008 - 23:08
When I first started using jEdit, there was a WebDAV plugin available...but I don't see much about it any more. I don't know much about its history. Is it in need of a developer to maintain it? If so, I might be interested. It would really be useful for me.

Thanks,
Dylan
Switching beween Diff and Unsplit in JDiff
Submitted by ntbenari on Friday, 6 June, 2008 - 10:29
Hi
JDiff is cool but I can't see the full width of the buffers in the Dual Diff display. The toolbar has Unsplit and Diff buttons that do what I want, except that Diff returns the display to showing the same buffer in both panes, instead of the two buffers that I am comparing using Dual Diff. Is it just me or is this a bug?!
Moti
File manipulation - what's wrong with this macro?
Submitted by PaulCollingwood on Friday, 6 June, 2008 - 11:41
Hi, I'm trying to collate the names of all the files within a specific directory path with a specific extension. My bsh macro file contains the following: --------------------------------------------------------- class OnlyExt implements FilenameFilter { String ext; public OnlyExt(String ext) { this.ext = "." + ext; } public boolean accept(File dir, String name) { return name.endsWith(ext); } } example() { file_path = "/example/mydir"; File f1 = new File(sys_file_path); FilenameFilter only = new OnlyExt("bak"); // This is the OFFENDING LINE!!! String filtered_files[] = f1.list(only); for (int i=0; i
Collating file names - basic help.
Submitted by PaulCollingwood on Friday, 6 June, 2008 - 11:50
Hi,
Can anyone demonstrate a macro script that collates an array of filenames that match a certain extension within a specified directory path?
I would need a specific example of how to access each array item, and to know how many array items there are.
This does NOT have to recursive.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
jEdit won't search in files named "_*.*" - need a fix!
Submitted by tomcloyd on Friday, 6 June, 2008 - 19:51
I very rarely have problems with jEdit, which I use a lot, even though I'm only an avocational programmer. I'm right now having a problem I've not encountered before, and I'm sure I'm simply running into my own ignorance, but so far haven't found the fix. It's simple:

First, I'm on Kubuntu Linux 7.10, running jEdit 4.3 pre12, with java 1.6.0_03. I'm fairly new to Linux.

I have a fairly large number of text files (*.txt) in which I'm needing to do a search and replace involving a straightforward character string. It seems clear that jEdit simply will NOT open and search any of my files which begin with an underscore, and a lot of them do. This is a disaster, since doing a manual search is out of the question. I've certainly tried unchecking the "skip hidden/backup" option in the search modal window - it has NO effect. What's the problem here and what can I do to fix it, please?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Fedora9 install help
Submitted by 222fbj on Tuesday, 10 June, 2008 - 22:49
I just switched from XP to a Fedora9 desktop and am not sure how to install Jedit. I got the Java version - but not sure where to go from there. The "open jdk runtime environment" is installed (first file = /usr/lib/jvm-exports/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0.x86_64).

Do I need other packages?
What command starts the installer?
- I did see this page - http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=compatibility - but wanted to ask here before trying commands I don't understand.

thanks
Koders Search (Koders_Search.bsh v3.1 by Thorsten Willert)
Submitted by Thorsten Willert on Wednesday, 11 June, 2008 - 14:59
Searches on www.koders.com (a free on-line search engine for open source software and other web-downloadable code) for a term you can type in into the macros-gui or it searches for the word under the cursor and opens the result in a browser window.

On Windows is this the default one, on any others system the InfoViewer.
Railscasts scheme (Railscasts.jedit-scheme v1.0 by Alexandre da Silva)
Submitted by simpsomboy on Thursday, 12 June, 2008 - 14:16
Imitation of Popular Textmate theme used by Ryan Bates in Railscasts
Screenshot
Enclose pairs (Encloses.zip v0.1 by Alexandre da Silva)
Submitted by simpsomboy on Thursday, 12 June, 2008 - 14:57
Warning! this is a zip file. if you download from Macro Manager Plugin, go to your macro directory, rename the downloaded file (Enclose_pair.bsh) to Enclose_pair.zip and extract it, and delete the Encloe_pair.zip file
Set of simple macros to enclose char pairs such as: [] {} '' "" `` %% <> ()

Features
  • Insert the pair when typing
  • Enclose the selection with pair just by typing it
Each one need to be configured with a shortcut corresponding with pair
unzip file into your $HOME/.jedit/macros directory
User login
Browse archives
« May 2008 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338