jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
How to adjust font size in jEdit Help for the API reference
Submitted by MarkTJohnson on Monday, 21 April, 2014 - 16:00
The text for the API reference has always been small but after installing 5.1 the text has become microscopic, like spy story microdot small.

How can I enlarge it enough to read?
ISO-10646-UCS-2 encoding
Submitted by powery on Friday, 9 May, 2014 - 10:37
Hello,

is it possible to save file in ISO-10646-UCS-2 (alias csUnicode) encoding?

Thanks
jEdit 5.2pre1 is out!
Submitted by Vampire on Tuesday, 27 May, 2014 - 17:08
Hello everyone,

I proudly present jEdit 5.2pre1, the first preview development release of the 5.2 series of jEdit.

Detailed changes can as always be found in the Change Log at http://jedit.org/CHANGES52.txt, but here are some of the major features of this version:

This is a time-based release, scheduled to come out about 1 year after jEdit 5.1, and is a collection of enhancements, bug fixes and patches submitted by the community. Detailed changes can be found in the Detailed Change Log.
There are no major new features in this release. You can think of it mostly as a bugfix release, although there are quite a lot of UI enhancements also.
With continued support from the community, we will keep releasing a newer version each year that can accurately bring together the fruits of everyone's labor. Thank you to each and every one of the contributors who helped make 5.2 the best version of jEdit ever.

Volunteers are always welcome to contribute to the future of jEdit:
http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=devel

That being said, here is the download link:
http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=download

FYI, merge requests for the 5.2 series (fix done, but waiting for a review) can be found at:
https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/merge-requests/milestone/for%205.2.x/

Have fun with the new release.
ColumnRuler for jEdit: Misplaced indicator
Submitted by Hans_Bauer on Friday, 27 June, 2014 - 13:33
Sorry for using this forum for a plugin-bug, but the e-mail of the developer of the ColumnRuler did not work. Could you please submit this report to Brad Mace, if you have a valid e-mail adress?

------------------

Hello Brad Mace,

using your ColumnRuler for jEdit since several years i really have to thank you a lot for this tool.

Updating to jEdit5.2pre1 and ColumnRuler 1.0.3 the indicator is misplaced to the Cursor as shown in the png-file, given with the link below.

Is there a possibility to correct this or did i make a mistake?

Thank you a lot for your efforts.

Best wishes
Hans Bauer

http://external.bplaced.net/ColumnRuler103.png
Use of EditorExitRequested class
Submitted by ebt on Monday, 30 June, 2014 - 08:45
I want to be able to detect that jEdit is closing down in order to do some clean-up operations before it closes.
From browsing the API, it seems that I need to use the EditorExitRequested class, but I don't know how.
Can someone explain how this class is used?
Thank you
ebt
Change the prompt in the system console plugin?
Submitted by kmogli on Thursday, 10 July, 2014 - 23:05
The default prompt (current working directory) is sometimes long and leaves no room on the command line. I would prefer to change the prompt to something minimal (like '$' on Linux or '>' on my Windows system). Seems there would be an easy way to do this, but I can't find it. Can anyone help?
jEdit 5.1.0 w/ JRE 1.8.0_05 + W7 64-bit = slow exit from jEdit?
Submitted by Phrawm48 on Thursday, 24 July, 2014 - 00:25
For:

· jEdit 5.1.0
· Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.5-b02, mixed mode)
· java version "1.8.0_05" (JRE Cool
· Windows 7 64-bit

On my W7 64-bit computer, jEdit 5.1.0 runs fine, but when I exit jEdit it takes 20+ seconds to finally close. This behavior is new after my recent update to my JRE8 / Java SDK on this computer.

On my Windows Vista 32-bit computer, jEdit runs fine AND exits / closes straight away. This is true even though I updated the JRE to the same version as the one on my 64-bit computer.

Has anyone seen this? I've tried re-installing jEdit but otherwise have no ideas. At this point I simply close jEdit then minimize its window so that it's out of the way until it finally closes.

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
SFO
Highlight issue when CSS + HTML in the same file
Submitted by margenn on Tuesday, 5 August, 2014 - 13:06
Incorrect highlight on code below. The problem is the character ":" on "li:first-child". The code is presented correctly when it is removed

The "Submit a bug" link, is not working, so, posting it here was the only way ive found to communicate this issue, sorry

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<title>Template · Bootstrap</title>

<!-- Le styles -->
<link href="css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet">
<style type="text/css">
body { padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 60px; }

.navbar .nav li:first-child a { border-left:0; border-radius: 3px 0 0 3px; }
</style>
<link href="css/bootstrap-responsive.min.css" rel="stylesheet">

</head>

<body>

<div class="container">

<hr>

<div class="footer">
<p>© Company 2013</p>
</div>

</div> <!-- /container -->

<!-- Le javascript
================================================== -->
<!-- Placed at the end of the document so the pages load faster -->
<script src="js/jquery-1.7.1.min.js"></script>
<script src="js/bootstrap.min.js"></script>
</body>
</html>
jEdit on Window Server 2012
Submitted by dirkniemeier on Tuesday, 26 August, 2014 - 08:21
Hi,
I try to install jEdit 4.1.0 on Windows Server 2012R2 but I get the message "This application requires a Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0".

I have an installed Java Server Runtime:

java -version
java version "1.8.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_20-b26)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.20-b23, mixed mode)

JAVA_HOME is setted. The JAVA_HOME\bin is in path.

Anything else to do?
TIA
Dirk
Console plugin environment variable issue
Submitted by SpiceWare on Friday, 3 October, 2014 - 17:09
I've been using jEdit for Atari 2600 homebrew development since 2006. Spurred on by a fellow homebrewer, I recent delved into the plugins to figure out how to compile and run code from jEdit. I got it mostly working, though I ran into a problem with the environment variables. To figure out what was going on, I replaced my Custom Command for the Interpteter with an echo command and did some tests:

echo $f
/Users/darrellspice/Projects/Atari/Draconian/draconian.asm

echo $d
/Users/darrellspice/Projects/Atari/Draconian

echo $n
draconian.asm

echo $c
draconian

I know I can use multiple environment variables per command because my custom compile command works. The following compiles my source code (draconian.asm) and creates three output files(draconian.sym, draconian.lst and draconian.bin):
dasm $n -f3 -v0 -s$c.sym -l$c.lst -o$c.bin

For the interpreter step I needed to use the full path to the bin file, which is the source file with the extension .asm replaced with .bin. I thought that could be accomplished by $d/$c.bin but it fails to work.

echo $d/$c.bin
/Users/darrellspice/Projects/Atari/Draconian/.bin

The results I was expecting were:
/Users/darrellspice/Projects/Atari/Draconian/draconian.bin

So for some reason the second environment variable is being ignored. Any ideas? About jEdit shows:
jEdit 5.2pre1 server-background mode, using Oracle Corporation Java 1.7.0_67

In case you're wondering, Draconian is a port of Bosconian for the 2600. You can read about it, and even download a WIP ROM to run in Stella, over at AtariAge:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225044-draconian-2600/
http://stella.sourceforge.net

Thanks!
partially case-sensitive mode file?
Submitted by SpiceWare on Saturday, 4 October, 2014 - 18:22

When writing code for the Atari 2600 I use the compiler dasm.

With dasm, the opcodes are case-insensitive so LDA can be written as LDA, lda, Lda, etc. As such, I've set the mode file to use <RULES IGNORE_CASE="TRUE">.

I've configured the mode file so the 2600's registers such as GRP0, which holds sprite0's shape for the current scanline*, get syntax highlighted. However, dasm is case-sensitive when it comes to variable names. As such, if I type grp0 into my source code the compile will fail.

As such, I'd like to be able to make some of the keywords case-sensitive even though most of them are not. Can this be done with jEdit? My current mode file, assembly-6502, can be found here. I'm planning to do an update soon and will be renaming it Atari 2600 Assembly as the mode file's not really for generic 6502 assembly language.

* Yep, just the current scanline. When the Atari 2600 was developed memory was extremely expensive, so much so that the 2600 only contains 128 bytes of RAM. So TIA, the video chip, was designed to be scanline based. This means the registers in TIA only contain enough information to draw a single scanline, so your code must update TIA's registers on each and every scanline in order to draw the screen the player sees.

Jedit doesn't find my new Edit mode (SASS).
Submitted by kosmos890 on Thursday, 23 October, 2014 - 16:04
I am a linux user and Jedit finds my Edit mode if only I run it as root.

I downloaded sass.xml from here and I put it into /usr/share/jedit/modes directory.
I add the node <MODE NAME="sass" FILE="sass.xml" FILE_NAME_GLOB="*.sass"/> into the file "catalog" inside the same folder.
I did the same into the /home/<user>/.jedit directory.

All plugins into this directory (user directory) works.
Select_Find_Next.bsh - a BeanShell macro script to multi-select next match. (Select_Find_Next.bsh v1.0 by AhLeung Cheng)
Submitted by ahlearn on Saturday, 6 December, 2014 - 21:58

Updated on 12/21/2014 - 07:05
Downloads: 2114

Select_Word.bsh v1.0 by AhLeung Cheng
Submitted by ahlearn on Sunday, 21 December, 2014 - 07:01
Replace the built-in textArea.selectWord() which may select non-word characters even if there is a word on the left of the caret
Select contents in between parentheses (excluding parentheses) (Select_Contents_in_Parentheses.bsh v1.0 by AhLeung Cheng)
Submitted by ahlearn on Sunday, 21 December, 2014 - 08:51

Updated on 12/21/2014 - 08:51
Downloads: 3531

Ubuntu Trusty won't let me set Jedit as a default editor
Submitted by jeditcdnguy on Saturday, 27 December, 2014 - 21:14
It doesn't show up as an application in either 'open with'->'other Applications'

or

'properties->'open with'

Also, I can't browse for it.

Any ideas, please?
Select_All_or_Lines.bsh v1.0 by AhLeung Cheng
Submitted by ahlearn on Saturday, 24 January, 2015 - 19:43
If no selection, then select all. Otherwise, select the whole lines for all selected lines.
Open_Copied_Path.bsh v1.0 by AhLeung Cheng
Submitted by ahlearn on Saturday, 24 January, 2015 - 19:47
Open the file with its path copied to the clipboard
Select line (Select_Line.bsh v1.0 by AhLeung Cheng)
Submitted by ahlearn on Saturday, 24 January, 2015 - 22:10
Select line - Repeat to select next lines. Suggested shortcut: C+l
Mark Lines in Find & Replace
Submitted by CJreige on Thursday, 5 February, 2015 - 21:06
I would like request a useful feature that I've seen in other editors.

In the Search and Replace dialogue, I'd like to have a 'Mark Lines' button along with the Find, Replace, Replace All, buttons. This feature would mark the lines for all occurrences of the 'Search for' expression.

Thanks
User login
Browse archives
« April 2014 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338