jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
Where/How to submit bug reports?
Submitted by dsmith on Friday, 15 May, 2015 - 15:07
OK, so the subtitle comment on the forum says that bug reports don't belong here, but the SourceForge bug tracker won't let me submit a bug report without being authorised by the project admin. So, how do I submit a bug report?
copy and paste
Submitted by jhuang22 on Sunday, 14 June, 2015 - 09:25
I have used jEdit to create web code file in HTML for several years. I met this problem recently and do not know why. When I copy a paragraph and try to paste in jEdit, the whole paragraph become one long line. I paste the same thing to other text editor like Microsoft word or open office writer, it do not have this problem. I do not have this problem in jEdit before, I even can not remember when this problem started.

Please help.
Caret move to first/last visible line bug?
Submitted by jhaefner on Wednesday, 17 June, 2015 - 05:26
Hi,
I use ubuntu 14.04 lts, jEdit version 5.1
$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_79"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.5) (7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.04.2)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 24.79-b02, mixed mode)

I have strange behavior of caret moves near the top and bottom of visible lines. Specifically, "go to first visible line" goes to the fourth from the top, and "go to last visible line" goes to the 4th from bottom. Further, "go to next line down", when within the top 4 visible lines jumps to the 4th line. It works correctly when the caret is positioned w/in the middleof the text.

Any one else see this?
Sidekick parser
Submitted by zslevi on Monday, 29 June, 2015 - 14:01
How can I create a new Sidekick parser? Can I do it from Beanshell, or does it have to be Java?

This is all the docs I have found:

http://plugins.jedit.org/plugindoc/SideKick/#implement-sidekick-parser

But most of the links don't work.
FTP plugin not displaying remote files, error message
Submitted by kristenannie on Monday, 3 August, 2015 - 19:05
I have used the FTP plugin for years to work on files remotely and now I get this error when I try to connect: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.jcraft.jsch.Session.setConfig(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V at ftp.SFtpConnection.(SFtpConnection.java:136) at ftp.ConnectionManager.getConnection(ConnectionManager.java:524) at ftp.FtpVFS.getConnection(FtpVFS.java:529) at ftp.FtpVFS._canonPath(FtpVFS.java:199) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.browser.ListDirectoryBrowserTask._run(ListDirectoryBrowserTask.java:73) at org.gjt.sp.util.Task.run(Task.java:64) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) I am using Jedit 5.2 and jdk 8.51. All of this started happening after I upgraded my Mac to Yosemite and had to install Java 6 to keep an older version of Photoshop running. I uninstalled Java 6 after I upgraded my version of photoshop and installed Java 8, but the FTP plugin in Jedit has never worked the same since then and I am going crazy. Please help! Thanks Kristen
Console hangs, OS X 10.10.4
Submitted by SpiceWare on Monday, 10 August, 2015 - 14:22
Haven't used jEdit in a couple months. This weekend I went to work on a project and whenever I'd try to use the console plugin, jEdit would hang.

I suspect it's due to something that changed with OS X 10.10.4. Any ideas?
Column Ruler 1.0.3 things zero = +4
Submitted by Phrawm48 on Thursday, 20 August, 2015 - 23:52
------ For jEdit 5.2.0, Column Ruler 1.0.3 With the insertion point at the leftmost "zero" position in the editor window, Column Ruler 1.0.3 places the red position indicator at position four. Double-clicking Column Ruler position zero offers the user to place a mark at minus-4. Screenshot available on request Cheers & thanks, Riley SFO
Vertical indent lines
Submitted by Bannakaffalatta on Saturday, 22 August, 2015 - 14:43
Hi. How do I get rid of the vertical lines a that appear to mark a block of indented code? Thanks.

KP>
Jedit doesn't start - no error messages
Submitted by DocDJ on Wednesday, 9 September, 2015 - 13:27
My system is Windows 10 Pro X64. Yesterday, I did a Java update and now Jedit won't start. I downloaded a new version (so now I have 2: 1 in Program Files and 1 in program files (x86)). Neither one works (jedit.exe). I also tried javaw -jar jedit.jar from a command prompt inside the jedit directory. Same results: no error messages. Program does not show up in Task Manager although when I installed the newest version using the Windows installer it said it would try to stop a running copy (which I couldn't find). The version in progfiles (x86) was installed using the java installer. But if I have a wrong version of java, shouldn't I get an error message of "some" kind?
Two problems with non-alphanumerics
Submitted by jhaefner on Friday, 25 September, 2015 - 22:08
Hi,
I'm using ver 5.1 on Ubuntu 14.10 using MATE ver 1.8.2 on a Dell Latitude 3450 laptop. I've noticed two problems that were not in Jedit 4.* but may be due to my setup.

1. A short-cut defined for CTRL+. (ie, control plus period) does not work. Other shortcuts with alphanumeric works. (Just noticed that "ALT+." works, so it must be me...???
2. An abbreviation with containing a non-alphanumeric does not work. The match algorithm stops at the non-alphanumeric. So, an abbreviation like "\bf" (w/o the quotes) does not work, but "bf" does get expanded.

If this is an issue with Jedit, I'd like to know how/if the above can be fixed. Obviously a work around is possible. If it is a problem with my laptop, any help from a guru would be appreciated.

Jim
Validating XHTML5: how do I add the custom datatypes from the Nu Html Checker (v.Nu)?
Submitted by Graham Hannington on Monday, 22 February, 2016 - 05:10
I would like to use the jEdit XML plugin to validate XHTML5 using the RELAX NG schema from the Nu Html Checker (v.Nu):

https://github.com/validator/validator

I have downloaded the RELAX NG schema files from the v.Nu GitHub repo, and set the schema (Plugins > XML > Set Schema) for a sample XHTML5 document to refer to the XHTML5 RELAX NG schema.

As I expected, jEdit reports the following error:

> datatype library "http://whattf.org/datatype-draft" not recognized

due to the following line in the schema files:

datatypes w = "http://whattf.org/datatype-draft"

I know that I need to make available to jEdit - in its class path - a .jar that contains the datatype library, as described in:

http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/pluggable-datatypes.html

but so far, I've been unsuccessful. I'm a newbie Java developer, so I am very likely missing something obvious, but I thought this would be relatively straightforward, because both jEdit and v.Nu use Jing, so I thought it would simply be a matter of copying the relevant files from v.Nu to jEdit.

I've taken the latest-release vnu.jar and stripped everything out of it except:

\META-INF\services\
org.relaxng.datatype.DatatypeLibraryFactory

that contains the lines:

com.thaiopensource.datatype.xsd.DatatypeLibraryFactoryImpl
nu.validator.datatype.Html5DatatypeLibraryFactory

and

\nu\validator\datatype\
Html5DatatypeException.class
Html5DatatypeLibrary.class
Html5DatatypeLibraryFactory.class

but I don't know how to add that .jar to the jEdit class path (I'm using jEdit 5.2.0 with XML plugin 2.8.7 - I know, not quite the latest - on Windows 7). I don't know how to tell jedit.exe to add the location of this .jar to its class path. Whatever I try - adding a classpath option to the jEdit.l4j.ini file, or defining a CLASSPATH environment variable - the jEdit activity.log reports:

Log: java.class.path=C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar

I even tried copying the contents of my "cut down" vnu.jar into jedit.jar, to no effect.

I'm stumped. How do I add the custom datatypes from v.Nu to jEdit?
on font aliasing (again) under Linux
Submitted by xenthar on Sunday, 29 May, 2016 - 09:54
There is *not* a lot of activity here.

When I search for font aliasing support under Linux, I find very diverse topics and messages everywhere and most of them are really old.

I will just say now that on my Ubuntu (Kubuntu) 16.04 system, in KDE, the actual configuration dialog looks good. But the actual text, as well as the interface.... even when using identical files (fonts) as other (KDE) programs, looks readily different and very ugly.

In general such things happen more in Linux (KDE) particularly when using some old GTK app (I think). Moreoever, some Linux distributions appear to have no good fonts at all; it seems and is sometimes said that only Ubuntu has good font support; my latest adventure into OpenSUSE was abysmal in that regard and full of problems.

For me a very complicated topic and I cannot see the forest for the trees.

Fonts that look AMAZING in e.g. "Kate" look abysmal in jEdit, and have very different font width, font spacing, etc.

I will post a screenshot later when I get down to it.

The difference is just outstanding and the minute anti-aliasing that I can detect in jEdit screenshots just doesn't cut it.

It is so bad that I even refuse to use jEdit even though it has been my favourite java editor since like forever. I now edit in console-mode Vim and only use jEdit for copy & paste operations, in general.

It is just horrid. This has been going on for such a long time in Linux, and when I see the instructions for jEdit of the past, I get sick in the stomach to begin with.

So I wonder if anyone can tell me in advance, before going through all that, if any of those instructions are still current?

I have attempted "http://jedit.9.x6.nabble.com/jEdit-fonts-on-Ubuntu-Linux-td1823304.html" but none of it did anything.

Meaning, this line:

exec java -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.aatext=true -jar /usr/share/jedit/jedit.jar org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit -reuseview "$@"

doesn't change anything.

So I don't know what to do. I haven't tested anything else like NetBeans.
InfoViewer Plugin: UnsupportedClassVersionError...Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 exception in jEdit 5.1.0
Submitted by JonBlanchard on Tuesday, 12 July, 2016 - 14:31
Hello:

I am getting the above error and was wondering if there is a more recent version of the PlugIn available.

Thanks in advance for your response.

JB
Is it possible to remove/hide scroll bars?
Submitted by maurelioc on Friday, 5 August, 2016 - 01:01
Hi folks,
I want to know if it is possible to remove or hide the scroll bars as it is possible with gutter bars.
I could not find any command for this.
FTP plugin opened files
Submitted by mca on Saturday, 19 November, 2016 - 19:07
I've been using this plug-in for remotely editing files and it works fine. The only trouble I have is that after I closed jEdit, I have to reopen each file I was working with.
Does anyone know a way to remember the opened files remotely as it happens with local files? Tks.
samba share erroneous files changed on disk by external program
Submitted by xenthar on Tuesday, 20 December, 2016 - 12:32
I recently started using a samba share (I don't know what version) being mounted from Windows.

There is probably a slight second delay in the date Samba registers for the file and the date my Windows has, or something like that. But jEdit continuously says that something changed my file, when nothing happened.

Is this a bug with jEdit? Is this expected behaviour?
Default encoding for a mode
Submitted by Llelan D. on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 07:01
How do I set the default encoding for an edit mode?

For example: I want to create a new document in the current edit mode (CS-n) Erlang. The encoding for Erlang documents should automatically be UTF-8. This should be separate from any global default encoding.

However, I can find no way to set a default encoding for an edit mode separate from the global default encoding. This is so fundamentally obvious that I'm still looking for something I've missed.
Elixir edit mode
Submitted by Llelan D. on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 07:03
Is there an Elixir edit mode? I see there is an Erlang mode, which is similar but not this same and is very primitive.
Right to left supprt
Submitted by wkevils on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 10:26
Does jEdit support Right to left typing ? I could not find any support for it, and no plugin for this.

Kevin
TextAutocomplete
Submitted by CJreige on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 14:44
Has anybody had any luck installing the TextAutocomplete plug-in lately? I cannot get the Plug-in Manager to download it (it gives a download error). When I download it manually and try to install it, it doesn't really work within jEdit. I just wanted to see if anybody has had any luck with this plug-in.

Thank you,
CJ
User login
Browse archives
« April 2015 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338