jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
FTP plugin opened files
Submitted by mca on Saturday, 19 November, 2016 - 19:07
I've been using this plug-in for remotely editing files and it works fine. The only trouble I have is that after I closed jEdit, I have to reopen each file I was working with.
Does anyone know a way to remember the opened files remotely as it happens with local files? Tks.
samba share erroneous files changed on disk by external program
Submitted by xenthar on Tuesday, 20 December, 2016 - 12:32
I recently started using a samba share (I don't know what version) being mounted from Windows.

There is probably a slight second delay in the date Samba registers for the file and the date my Windows has, or something like that. But jEdit continuously says that something changed my file, when nothing happened.

Is this a bug with jEdit? Is this expected behaviour?
Default encoding for a mode
Submitted by Llelan D. on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 07:01
How do I set the default encoding for an edit mode?

For example: I want to create a new document in the current edit mode (CS-n) Erlang. The encoding for Erlang documents should automatically be UTF-8. This should be separate from any global default encoding.

However, I can find no way to set a default encoding for an edit mode separate from the global default encoding. This is so fundamentally obvious that I'm still looking for something I've missed.
Elixir edit mode
Submitted by Llelan D. on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 07:03
Is there an Elixir edit mode? I see there is an Erlang mode, which is similar but not this same and is very primitive.
Right to left supprt
Submitted by wkevils on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 10:26
Does jEdit support Right to left typing ? I could not find any support for it, and no plugin for this.

Kevin
TextAutocomplete
Submitted by CJreige on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 14:44
Has anybody had any luck installing the TextAutocomplete plug-in lately? I cannot get the Plug-in Manager to download it (it gives a download error). When I download it manually and try to install it, it doesn't really work within jEdit. I just wanted to see if anybody has had any luck with this plug-in.

Thank you,
CJ
TextAutocomplete
Submitted by CJreige on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 14:45
Has anybody had any luck installing the TextAutocomplete plug-in lately? I cannot get the Plug-in Manager to download it (it gives a download error). When I download it manually and try to install it, it doesn't really work within jEdit. I just wanted to see if anybody has had any luck with this plug-in.

Thank you,
CJ
jEdit 5.4.0 is out!
Submitted by Vampire on Saturday, 18 March, 2017 - 20:18
Hello everyone,

I proudly present jEdit 5.4.0, the first stable release of the 5.4 series of jEdit.

This is mostly a bugfixing and stabilizing release. Detailed changes can as always be found in the Change Log at http://jedit.org/CHANGES54.txt, but here are some of the major changes of this version:
  • Use of Java 1.8
  • Use of a new XML format for Plugin Manager, and proper following of redirects, resulting in a much improved plugin install experience
  • New Printing, updated for current versions of Java

Volunteers are always welcome to contribute to the future of jEdit:
http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=devel

That being said, here is the download link:
http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=download

Have fun with the new release.
Lucene Wildcard Searches
Submitted by weberjn on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 12:16
Hi,

for me the killer feature of jEdit is LucenePlugin. Lucene searches some 15 years of project notes for me, each year a simple 1MB .txt file.
You could well advertise more for LucenePlugin...

Anyway, looks like you cannot search wildcards or regular expressions (Standard Analyzer).

Of the Term Modifiers from the Lucene docs, only some terms work for me, Wildcard, Regular Expressions and Fuzzy Searches do not get accepted, the plugin simply does nothing.
Actually, I use mostly Proximity Searches, which still help a lot.

What did I do wrong?

And could you list some working search expression examples in the Plugin Help, please?

http://lucene.apache.org/core/6_4_2/queryparser/org/apache/lucene/queryparser/classic/package-summary.html#Term_Modifiers
jEdit Server under OSX
Submitted by RobertX on Friday, 31 March, 2017 - 15:00
At work, on Windows, I create a startup shortcut that starts the jEdit server in the background and keeps it running. Is there a similar process to get that to work on OS X?
Set encoding option in "Mode Settings"
Submitted by RobertX on Friday, 31 March, 2017 - 15:38
There should be another option under "Mode Settings" to set the default encoding for individual file types.
Hypersearch results analysis (hypersearch_results_parsing.zip v1.0 by Thiemo Kellner)
Submitted by Robert Schwenn on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 21:04
Two neat macros to analyse hypersearch results:

- hypersearch_results_distinct_hits.bsh: extracts the distinct lines in the results
- hypersearch_results_files.bsh: extracts all the files results were found in

! Note that these macros depend on:
- other macro "Misc/HyperSearch_Results_to_Buffer.bsh"
- TextTools Plugin

Also, see original post: https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/patches/545/
jEdit Server on OSX
Submitted by RobertX on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 00:26
When I run jEdit on Windows, I create a shortcut and put it in the Startup folder that runs the jEdit server in the background. I have zero idea on how to do this on MacOS. Any help?
jEdit hangs when using multiple screens
Submitted by rursus on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 12:17
Hi! Jedit version tested: 5.4.0 (compiled from source) Java version: java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64 (Debian) I have tried to find any relevant info by googling, but I couldn't find any: * Whenever I run jedit on a single screen, there are no problems, and life is happy and the sun shining. * Whenever I run jedit on a computer using multiple screens, jedit cannot be started, or if it is already started before, and the second screen is attached afterwards, jedit refuses to open any new windows. When refusing to open any window, jedit says: 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-1" 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Width (0) and height (0) must be non-zero 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: at java.awt.image.ReplicateScaleFilter.(ReplicateScaleFilter.java:102) ... 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: at sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.createCustomCursor(XToolkit.java:1140) 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextAreaPainter.addNotify(TextAreaPainter.java:181) 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: at java.awt.Container.addNotify(Container.java:2773) ... 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: at javax.swing.JComponent.addNotify(JComponent.java:4740) 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.addNotify(TextArea.java:4690) 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: at java.awt.Container.addNotify(Container.java:2773) ... 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: at java.awt.Window.pack(Window.java:807) 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2617) 13:55:29 [AWT-EventQueue-1] [error] AWT-EventQueue-1: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager$PerspectiveHandler.endElement(PerspectiveManager.java:363) Which obviously means that when jEdit makes a newView, it obviously triggers a TextArea.addNotify which triggers a TextAreaPainter.addNotify, which somehow delivers a window with a size of 0,0. I'm inclined to hack this in my personal copy of jEdit, if possible. Anyone have an idea why this occurs?
Write current date/time to a file as it is saved
Submitted by jhaefner on Sunday, 23 April, 2017 - 01:00
I am writing html and would like to write "Updated: ...the date of last modification.." on to the html file in a particular place. So, after testing that the file has been modified, I would like to write the current day and time to the file immediately after I tell Jedit to save the file, but before it is actually saved. Possibly, the solution would be to point my usual "save file" shortcut to a macro that writes the date/time info where I want it and then does the jedit save file command. Has anyone done this? If not, can any one point me in a direction to get me started? I have done simple ".bsh" macros, but nothing more complex. I am aware of Robert Schwenn's 2008 "insert_simple_date.bsh".

Thanks in advance. Jim
ReadOnlyBuffer (Macro) not working with jEdit 5.4
Submitted by Hans_Bauer on Friday, 19 May, 2017 - 11:30
Using the MacroManager i downloaded the "ReadOnly Buffer"-Macro and associated a Toolbar-Icon with it.

The Macro does not seem to do anything in jEdit 5.4.

Possibly there is a code change in jEdit, because my own-written macro "ToggleReadOnlyBuffer" also stopped working after the update from jEdit 5.3 to 5.4.

Any idea to update the macro "ReadOnly Buffer"?

Thanks Hans
(Windows) unable to release Ctrl+Alt+J hotkey for usage
Submitted by 1234ru on Wednesday, 24 May, 2017 - 19:21
Ctrl+Alt+J is bound to start jEdit when it is installed (which was pretty surprise by itself and was discovered accidentally). I need this combination for another program, so I went to "Start jEdit" shortcut's properties and reset the "Shortcut key" property to a blank value.
However, the hotkey still remains bound to starting jEdit (which happens when I press the keys), although the property of a shortcut is displayed as a blank value.

How can I get rid of it?
Windows 7 Install problem: The installer will now try to quit a running instance of jEdit, when there is no running instance..
Submitted by JimParinisi on Tuesday, 4 July, 2017 - 23:04
I have been running jEdit 5.3 for about a 1.5 years with no significant problem. On 2017-07-03 I used it and it worked fine. On 2017-07-04, It would not start. jedit and javaw exe's were created, but jEdit window would not display. I uninstalled version 5.3 and tried to install version 5.4 and got this error:
The installer will now try to quit a running instance of jEdit.
Please save your work and exit jEdit for the installation to continue.
The installer hangs up at this point.
I did not have a running instance, but the installer thought that I had one. I am guessing that something went wrong with jEdit when I shutdown on the 3rd. Does anyone know how to tell windows 7 to get rid of this phantom instance of jEdit. I am using a backup version of jEdit 4.5.2 for the time being. So, I can continue with my work. I am guessing that this phantom instance also caused the jEdit 5.3 startup problem that I had before the uninstall.
When will jEdit be cleared to use Java 9?
Submitted by jrs40 on Thursday, 18 January, 2018 - 15:06
I cannot use jEdit with Java 9. I am running a Windows 10 x64-x86 box. When I click on any shortcuts that start the jEdit.exe program I get a message stating that i need a Java 1.8.x JRE and then am sent to a java Website to download the appropriate JRE. How do I inform the jEdit.exe program tjat java 9 is a valid java installation? Failing that, when can I expect to see a version of jEdit compatible with Java 9? Remember, Java 8 is officially unsupported as of October 2018. I do not look forward to creating form my own use some sort of script to run on a Windows 10 box to emulate the jEdit.exe program.
Highlight Plugin: What does the "Highlight overview" setting do?
Submitted by rovf on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 10:27
The option settings for the "Highlight Plugin" named "Highlight Overview". What exactly is controlled with these settings?
User login
Browse archives
« November 2016 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338