jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
When will jEdit be cleared to use Java 9?
Submitted by jrs40 on Thursday, 18 January, 2018 - 15:06
I cannot use jEdit with Java 9. I am running a Windows 10 x64-x86 box. When I click on any shortcuts that start the jEdit.exe program I get a message stating that i need a Java 1.8.x JRE and then am sent to a java Website to download the appropriate JRE. How do I inform the jEdit.exe program tjat java 9 is a valid java installation? Failing that, when can I expect to see a version of jEdit compatible with Java 9? Remember, Java 8 is officially unsupported as of October 2018. I do not look forward to creating form my own use some sort of script to run on a Windows 10 box to emulate the jEdit.exe program.
Highlight Plugin: What does the "Highlight overview" setting do?
Submitted by rovf on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 10:27
The option settings for the "Highlight Plugin" named "Highlight Overview". What exactly is controlled with these settings?
Jedit 5.4.0 - hi CPU usage when text is selected and windows put to back
Submitted by edinburger on Thursday, 24 May, 2018 - 12:10
I'm facing a strange behavior with Jedit 5.4.0

If I select some text in jedit, put another App in front of jedit then bring jedit back to the front by clicking on the jedit taskbar icon then Jedit (java process) starts consuming lots of CPU (up to 40% on a 2 core i5 system)
CPU utilization will only go down if I either click into the Jedit window or any of the Menu items.

disabling all Plugins did not help

I'm running Jedit under Win 10, java version "1.8.0_171"
jEdit < 5.4 broken by openjdk-7 update 7u181-2.6.14-0ubuntu0.2 (unbuntu 14.04)
Submitted by JohnS on Thursday, 16 August, 2018 - 22:41
Never posted here, but been using jEdit for probably 15+ years on linux systems.
Posted similar to this on the 'jedit-users' listserv - not clear whether these forums or the listservs are most appropriate so trying both.

This is on Ubuntu 14.04, which packages openjdk-7-jdk and jEdit 5.1.

On 2018-08-10 there was an upgrade of openjdk-7, specifically to 7u181-2.6.14-0ubuntu0.2, details here:
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/trusty/main/updates/openjdk-7-jdk

This openjdk upgrade has broken jEdit - on my xubuntu 14.04 system at least. I was using jEdit as usual before the upgrade. After the upgrade, it fails to fully launch. The splash briefly appears, it runs through some of the launch steps, then vanishes. That's all. Output of running
$ jedit -log=1
...is pasted in below.

I've tried the following, with same results:
- uninstalled (complete purge) and reinstalled 5.1
- clean installs of each of 5.3, 5.2, 5.0, and 4.5.2

So whatever breaks in jEdit vs. the openjdk upgrade, is broken in all of those.
Nothing else I'm aware of in recent OS upgrades would affect jEdit.

I have another system with ubuntu 16.04 on it, which packages openjdk-8 and jEdit 5.3. That is fully updated package-wise and works fine.

Any other ideas for troubleshooting on this 14.04 system welcome.

I imagine upgrading this system to ubuntu 16.04 or higher would fix it but that is not something I can dive into just now...if there's no fix for my particular situation other than that I'll have to live without jEdit for a while.

I don't know if these older jEdit versions are being maintained vs. issues like this. If they are I'll submit a bug.

regards,
John S.

Log output follows...

------------------------------------

$ jedit -log=1
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: When reporting bugs, please include the following information:
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: java.version=1.7.0_181
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: java.vm.version=24.181-b01
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: java.vm.name=OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.7.0_181-b01
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: java.runtime.name=OpenJDK Runtime Environment
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: java.compiler=null
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: os.name=Linux
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: os.version=3.13.0-155-generic
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: os.arch=amd64
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: user.home=/home/john
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: java.home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] Log: java.class.path=/usr/share/jedit/jedit.jar
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] jEdit: starting with command line arguments: -log=1
2:37:26 PM [main] [notice] jEdit: An error occurred while connecting to the jEdit server instance.
2:37:26 PM [main] [notice] jEdit: This probably means that jEdit crashed and/or exited abnormally
2:37:26 PM [main] [notice] jEdit: the last time it was run.
2:37:26 PM [main] [notice] jEdit: If you don't know what this means, don't worry.
2:37:26 PM [main] [notice] jEdit: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Wrong port file format
2:37:26 PM [main] [notice] jEdit: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:310)
2:37:26 PM [main] [debug] jEdit: before splash screen activation:107 ms
2:37:26 PM [main] [debug] jEdit: after splash screen activation:306 ms
2:37:26 PM [main] [debug] MiscUtilities: Saving backup of file "/home/john/.jedit/activity.log" to "/home/john/.jedit/settings-backup/activity.log~1~"
2:37:26 PM [main] [notice] jEdit: jEdit version 5.1.0
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] jEdit: Settings directory is /home/john/.jedit
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] jEdit: jEdit home directory is /usr/share/jedit
2:37:26 PM [main] [debug] SplashScreen: init:39/226ms
2:37:26 PM [main] [debug] SplashScreen: init system properties:58/284ms
2:37:26 PM [main] [message] BeanShell: Beanshell Init
2:37:26 PM [main] [debug] SplashScreen: init beanshell:35/319ms
2:37:26 PM [main] [debug] SplashScreen: loading site properties:6/325ms
2:37:26 PM [main] [debug] SplashScreen: loading user properties:7/332ms
2:37:26 PM [main] [debug] GUIUtilities: Icon theme set to: tango
2:37:26 PM [main] [debug] GUIUtilities: Loading icon theme from: jeditresource:/org/gjt/sp/jedit/icons/themes/tango/
2:37:26 PM [main] [debug] SplashScreen: init GUI:9/341ms
$
--------------------
Can not set Metal Colours anymore
Submitted by rovf on Tuesday, 22 January, 2019 - 09:58
I have the "Metal" plugin enabled, and no other plugin active, which might influence the user interface.

In the global settings, I have set "Swing look&feel" to "Metal".

Still, my settings in the Metal plugin (for example, Scrollbar color) don't have any effect.

This is jEdit 5.4.0 running on Windows 7.
RubyPlugin : No folds
Submitted by rovf on Monday, 11 February, 2019 - 13:16
No fold marks are displayed for Ruby files, even though the Ruby parser is active and the file parses correctly.

Is folding not supported for Ruby, or do I have to turn it on somewhere explicitly?
Use of none-printable of non-printables in modes
Submitted by Thiemo on Thursday, 14 February, 2019 - 09:45
Hi all I wanted to create a mode for dat files where the delimiter is a non-printable (Unit Separator/x1f). Unfortunately, XML does not accept non-printables as characters in it, at least not as default. I searched the net and experimented with defining entities on my own to no avail. Last try looked as follows. Has somebody a solution? ]> Kind regards Thiemo
Where to store *.theme files?
Submitted by rovf on Tuesday, 9 July, 2019 - 12:08
I have a set of theme files (for instance swingthemes/Color/color1.theme). Where do I have to store them so that I can use them from jEdit?
Applying gofmt when saving .go files
Submitted by tig12 on Tuesday, 6 August, 2019 - 13:48
Hello,

Is there a way to apply gofmt -x on the current buffer each time it is saved, only for buffers that end with .go extension ?
Thank you, Thierry
Daily builds
Submitted by aschwank on Thursday, 29 August, 2019 - 19:13
Dear JEdit community,

I would like to download the latest pre-release which is currently 5.6pre1, but the latest download is from 2019-04-23 which is the 5.6pre0.
Is it possible to make the latest version available here?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Axel
Binary colorization
Submitted by SpiceWare on Wednesday, 18 December, 2019 - 20:54
I use jEdit to develop for the Atari 2600. I've created a mode file for it, and one of the things I came up with was a colorization rule for binary values. What this does is allow you to easily see graphic data that's stored as binary numbers.

You can see how that looks in the second screenshot from this blog post:
https://atariage.com/forums/blogs/entry/16412-jedit-index/

The mode files are available from here:
https://atariage.com/forums/blogs/entry/16411-minor-revision-to-jedit-mode-files/

If you'd like to implement in your own mode files just copy the SPAN_REGEXP rule that uses DELEGATE="COLORIZE_BINARY" towards the top of the mode file, as well as the RULES SET="COLORIZE_BINARY" at the end.
Jedit mangling spaces
Submitted by mauricebis on Saturday, 15 February, 2020 - 17:25
Hello,

I just noticed that my Jedit version (5.5.0) on Ubuntu 18.04 is mangling all spaces ? Any idea? Thanks.

BTW, I tried to find a search box on the site but didn't see any, sorry to ask again if this issue has already been answered.
jEdit for Macbook - how to make Application
Submitted by SiteNook on Tuesday, 18 February, 2020 - 06:01
I have managed to build jEdit on macOS Catalina using OpenJDK 13.

I can run it using java -jar Jedit.jar from the build directory, but I don't know how to make it into an Application that I can install on the Mac.

I have researched PackageManager, Puppet, Iceberg, etc. and they are daunting. I just want to drop it in place and have it show up in Launchpad.

Anyone know how to manually install it?
Redesign of this community web?
Submitted by ruanjiaxing on Tuesday, 2 June, 2020 - 18:26
First, I'm not related to the maintainer of this website. I'm an user just like all of you. What I wrote here is just my own proposal.

It seemed this site is written using Drupal and hosted on sourceforge, doesn't it?

I liked it because of it simplicity but I have to point out the fact that it looked not modern at all. Being a product written from scratch by customizing a CMS like Drupal so it's nothing surprise that it can't counter spam!

Being afraid of spam this site is closed from registering new account and if someone want to have an account he has to pm the site maintainer. This inconvenient is one of the reason why this community is too inactive.

I proposed to close this community website completely and just keep it in archive form for people could read old content. We should design a new community website. The first part I think is simplifying the appearance. The fact is this site packed too much features that make it confused to use. I think a forum is enough to replace everything there. Another site for user project could be great, if you found a forum is too limited in this regards. But I have seen FreeBASIC forum users shared there project and code snippets without any problem so I think a forum is enough for all of this.

And we don't need to go through all of the trouble coding, hosting our forum. There are many free online services do this for us.

https://www.g2.com/products/proboards/competitors/alternatives

I'm familiar with proboards, but you could choose any platform you liked. They are professional forums so there are already tool to counter spam or at least easier to ban and delete of spam posts than what currently on this forum.

If you agreed with me, please vote for this proposal. If you are the site maintainer, please consider this proposal. We all know JEdit is an awesome editor but the fact it has too few users so we need to do something for it. I can only help with this proposal. Because I believe an active community is a must for the success of a project.

Sincere,

JiaXing.
jEdit 5.6.0 is out!
Submitted by Vampire on Thursday, 3 September, 2020 - 23:45
Hello everyone,

I proudly present jEdit 5.6.0, the first stable release of the 5.6 series of jEdit.

Detailed changes can as always be found in the Change Log attached in the end of this email, but here are some of the major features of this version:

• Many bugfixes
  • A major performance improvement when displaying big files
    (do not ask why, but I needed to edit a 38 MiB one-line text file yesterday,
    with jEdit 5.5.0 it was not at all workable, with 5.6.0 it worked quite fine)
  • UI language changes are now applied without the need to restart
  • Windows launcher now considers JAVA_HOME environment variable
  • The tray icon does not look ugly anymore on Linux with a dark theme
  • Primary and Secondary fonts can now be selected for all Look and Feels
  • Some new and some updated edit modes (SIPp, WKT, RPM Spec, Java, PlantUML, HL7, drawj2d)

Volunteers are always welcome to contribute to the future of jEdit:
http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=devel

That being said, here is the download link:
http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=download

Have fun with the new release.
How to use ctags / CtagsInterface
Submitted by maurelioc on Tuesday, 12 January, 2021 - 17:21
Hi folks, I am trying to use CtagsInterface plugin in jEdit running on a MacOS machine.
ctags tool was installed using MacPorts and appears to be ok.
CtagsInterface plugin is installed and reports that the ctags is reachable in path ( I wrote the complete path).
Lucene and SuperAbbrevs plugins are also installed.
But ... it is not working.
jEdit version is 5.6 with OpenJDK 15.01.
jEdit is running fine and all plugins are the last versions available at plugin central or mirrors.
CtagsInterface appears to be running but no tag is available for searching.
I did not find any recent complain about it in google. Any clues?
Can I have ONE split-screen tab re-open as a separate Jedit window to avoid re-sizing all my split-screen tabs
Submitted by DocDJ on Monday, 15 February, 2021 - 13:23
I frequently have multiple files open in split-screen mode and need to be able to see one (or more) of them in a system window that can be resized separately from the other tabs. I do NOT want to be editing the 2 buffers at the same time. I just need to be able to work on that "new" window as a separate (larger) window, while being able to copy/paste between IT and the OTHER tabbed windows. Something like this: a toggle to hide or lock the tab in the current SYSTEM window and re-open the file or its buffer in a separate Jedit window and later toggle the separate window closed and restore it in my split window. Also, it would be nice to be able to have multiple such "re-opened" tabs.

Is there a way to do any of that?
two quick spaces inserts a period. What did I accidentally turn on?
Submitted by MarkTJohnson on Friday, 19 February, 2021 - 18:12
This only started recently like the last couple of weeks and I've used jEdit for years.
Vim Emulation for jEdit 5.6.0
Submitted by nielstron on Tuesday, 23 March, 2021 - 15:24
Hi everyone,

I am currently developing a port of the Vimulator Plugin by mike dillon to the current jEdit 5.6.0.
For those that did not stumble upon it yet, it emulates VI keybindings within jEdit.
In addition to the previously existing plugin, this now features:

- Insertion, Replacement and Command mode
- Visual modes (Normal, Block and Line)
- Yanking/Unyanking
- Multi-Caret editing

I did not find out how to post this to the default plugin central and am not sure if the product is mature enough for that.
A current development build can be found in its github repository:

https://github.com/nielstron/vimulator

Feel free to have a look. I would be glad for any feedback on usability and hidden bugs/slownesses.
Binary downloads from the filestore work again properly
Submitted by Vampire on Tuesday, 23 March, 2021 - 15:30
For some time binary downloads of files from the file store (http://community.jedit.org/?q=filestore) did not work properly.
This affects for example plugin beta versions, macros packaged in ZIP files and so on.

This problem was now fixed and all downloads should work properly again.
Uploads were not affected, so any upload that was done is still fine and working.
Only during downloading the files were corrupted and are not anymore.
User login
Browse archives
« November 2017 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82336