jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Can't get plug-ins to work
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 16 March, 2004 - 04:45
I have downloaded and installed a couple of plug-ins but have not been able to get even one of them to work. For example I have installed the JCompiler, the Debugger, the CodeAid plug-ins but cannot get any of these to work. eg cannot run the debugger. What I am doing wrong ?. I am running jEdit Version 4.2pre9. OS is Win NT 4. Immediate help will be appreciated.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
re: Can't get plug-ins to work
by takahe on Tue, 16/03/2004 - 17:08
Ok, lets start with JCompiler.

Questions first I'm afraid. What version of Java are you running (hopefully j2sdk_1.4.2 ?)

What settings have you specified for JCompiler (e.g. classpath etc)

Have you specified your JAVA_HOME using the "Set JEdit parameters" application? If not, search this forum for one of my other posts of today: "Mouse wheel in XP", as I describe the settings there.

I couldn't get codeAid to work, as I couldn't get Jane to work (which it depends on) I use DotComplete instead.

Let me know if you are still having problems with JCompiler and we'll go from there.

Incidentally, when you say you cannot get JCompiler to work, what happens when you try? Does it generate compiller errors, or does it just give a runtime error, or ... silence ...?

Have you tried looking at the Activity Log? (Utilities-Troubleshooting-Activity Log) Maybe some clues there

(I have an NT4 box at home. If you 're still having probs I might be able to load up on there and have a play)

hth
Eye-wink

Can't get plug-ins to work
by Anonymous on Thu, 18/03/2004 - 02:39
Thanks for your invaluable help with the JCompiler. It now works as expected. Do you have any experience running any of the remaining plug-ins ?. For example when I try to run the Debugger plug-in, fails with the error message "No Debug session started". Help, help, help.

Sorry, I haven't used Debugger
by takahe on Thu, 18/03/2004 - 12:05
Glad you got JCompiler working. Sadly I hadn't previously installed Debugger.

I just manually downloaded it to take a look, and tried running it, but was getting a variety of java.lang.NoSuchFieldError and classdef errors. I get the "No Debug session is currently running" message if I choose any of the run options (e.g. "run to cursor", "step into" etc).

If I select "Start/Continue" I get a dialog where I put in a few params such as name of my class, but when I hit the OK button, that's when it just gives runtime exceptions.

The download page at http://plugins.jedit.org/plugins/?Debugger shows this is for jEdit between 4.0pre6 and 4.0.3. I know some plugins aren't compatible with the JEdit 4.2 api. Perhaps this is one of them. Maybe it doesn't like the later version of the Console plugin, or something like that. Yes, it would be nice to have this working! Anyway it didn't show up on my Download Manager list, which is why I think it might not be marked as compatible.

Incidentally, it also makes mention that it is reliant on JSwat plugin (have you installed that?), and that it is still "highly experimental" (back in 2002). I think I won't hold my breath on this one. Sorry I can't be of more help. At least you're not alone Smiling

As for other plugins to help with editing (rather than running), yes I have installed a number of them. I particularly liked DotComplete (once I got it configured right), JExplorer, JImporter, JTools, LazyImporter, Task List, Project Viewer, Jump, JBrowse. They're not all 100% perfect, I'll admit but once you get things up and running (the hardest part, sadly) it makes for a great editing environment. I just learn to avoid the bits that don't work quite as well as they should. If you try any of those and hit probs, ask away. Can't guarantee of a quick reply as I'm off skiing for 2 weeks. Sticking out tongue Life can be tough!

Perhaps when I get back, I might start downloading some plugin source code...

hth
Eye-wink

Use JSwat instead of Debugger
by takahe on Thu, 18/03/2004 - 12:34
... actually I've just had more of a play. My recommendation - don't bother with Debugger, load JSwat and use that. Make sure that in JCompiler you have ticked the 'debug' checkbox (compile with -g).

Have a play with it and see if you can get it going. I managed but haven't got time to detail right now. I'll post something later when I get a moment. It does have some help with it though so all is not lost. Let me know if you have success. Other than that, watch this space.

hth
Eye-wink
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348