jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
JEdit , Windows and 56.xx nvidia display drivers
Submitted by Lup on Wednesday, 17 March, 2004 - 01:45
I was using Jedit since a while with Windows, no major issue so far, but since i've installed 56.xx nvidia display drivers, when launching jEdit i have some display corruption.
Then i can use jEdit normally, but when i quit the program system becomes slow (menus are slow, windows draw slowly...)
I was using j2 beta 1.5, rolled back to 1.4.2_03, i still have the same problem, anyone else ? any workaround ?
the drivers seem to work perfectly well with other applications i use.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
re: JEdit , Windows and 56.xx nvidia display drivers
by takahe on Wed, 17/03/2004 - 04:05
I don't know but this sounds similar to problems of a couple of years back when java wasn't handling opengl acceleration on certain cards properly. You might want to try doing a search on google or whereever for java and nvidia and acceleration.

Just a thought, have you tried turning off hardware acceleration in windows to see what effect that has on the problem? (ok, so you won't want to leave it turned off, but it might give some clues about cause Cool )

Start-Control Panel-Display-Settings-Advanced-Troubleshoot-Hardware Acceleration

You might also want to try looking at the graphics driver's settings themselves. I don't know what set of options you've got, or if any of them will make any difference but you might get lucky.

My guess is that your new graphic driver isn't reporting the available modes in a form that java is understanding correctly, but that's about as far as my technical "guesses" on this area extend.

hth
Eye-wink

I tried to turn acceleration off...
by Lup on Wed, 17/03/2004 - 20:10
I tried to turn acceleration off... same problems showed, unless someone has some solution, i guess i'll have to try turnin on and off a lot of options in nvidia's display panel... long process as i have to reboot after every failure of jEdit along with the drivers Sad
I'll post here if i have some results, in case someone else has the same problems.

Java 1.5 beta bug
by takahe on Thu, 18/03/2004 - 17:19
This might not actually be the cause, as you say you have reverted to 1.4.x although you might want to double-check that it really has reverted!

You may be interested in the following bug at:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4990399.html
posted Feb 06, 2004
and related postings:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4969969.html
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4911240.html

(To view, you may need to register if you haven't already got an account). Anyway the brief synopsis is that jdk 1.5 is making a considerable number of extra method calls during JFrame construction, and can result in a significant performance degredation for java apps using this. In theory it should be ok in 1.4.2 if this is the problem so it could be that your reversion to older jdk hasn't worked.

Alternatively of course, it could be something competely different.

hth
Eye-wink

Obviously there's something w
by Lup on Fri, 19/03/2004 - 12:52
Obviously there's something wrong with 56.xx detonator/forceware/nvidia display drivers.
I finally rolled back to 53.06 because i have too much to (J)edit to investigate and troubleshoot for now and JEdit works like a charm again (be it with 1.4 or 1.5beta java2)

I would have liked to hear about other people using JEdit and some nvidia graphic card... I am alone with that 56.xx driver issue ?
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348