jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
jEdit 4.2pre11 is now available
Submitted by slava on Saturday, 20 March, 2004 - 18:04
jEdit 4.2pre11 is now available for download.

This release fixes a show-stopper bug in pre10. The JAR file included in
the installer was not completely up-to-date, and it had a property file
lossage bug.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
File System Browser Backspace Behavior
by Anonymous on Sat, 10/04/2004 - 20:44
Hi-

When opening or saving a file via the File System Browser, pressing backspace (Delete on Apple) will result in backing 'up' out of the current directory.

This behavior may be by design, but its very unexpected. For instance, if I need to delete the file name currently suggested (such as a save-as operation), I might press backspace repeatedly - not actually counting the correct number of characters. All of a sudden I'm in the root directory.

Can someone else please verify on other platforms? Currently running Apple OSX 10.3.

Thanks,

Eric Everman
Behaviour of "If open files are changed on disk:"
by cwkaufmann on Wed, 07/04/2004 - 15:27
I've finally gotten around to checking out 4.2pre, and I love everything about it except for the new handling of open files that are changed.

I iteratively modify and run programs that produce two files that I keep open. The prompts to reload, or notifications that they've been automatically reloaded are very annoying. Adding an option to prompt only when switching to a changed file, i.e. the old 4.1 style, would be most welcome.
FTP plug-in not working with pre11
by sss4r on Fri, 02/04/2004 - 18:13
The FTP plug-in 0.7.2 does not seem to work with jEdit 4.2pre11. When I try to open a file from a secure FTP server, I get "Loading..." indefinitely. I tried uninstalling/reinstall jEdit and the plug-in, clearing the cache, making sure the required components are installed and up-to-date, etc. I have had this same problem on three different machines. Ultimately I had to revert to 4.1final in order to get the FTP plug-in to work. Are you aware of this?

the same problem
by Anonymous on Mon, 18/07/2005 - 20:15
I have the same problem like you.

Win2000 - Sun Java 1.4.2 - jEdit 4.2pre11 - FTP 0.7.3

Everytime i try to open a secure FTP connection the I/O manager shows the thread for about 3 secs and then it disappears? :confused: - i read the older texts for a solution...

FTP Plugin
by Anonymous on Tue, 06/04/2004 - 12:52
I have the same problem.

Win2k
Sun Java 1.4.2
jEdit 4.2pre11
FTP 0.7.2

Everytime i try to open a secure FTP connection the I/O manager shows the thread for about 3 secs and then it disappears, the file browser just does nothing.
XSLT Plugin forgets Stylesheet settings
by Anonymous on Thu, 01/04/2004 - 18:07
Hi-

I've noticed that on startup, the XSLT plugin does not load its last used list of stylesheets. Other info -the source and output- is restored to the last used values.

Opening an XSLT profile correctly loads the proper list of stylesheets - it only seems to be at startup that the plugin fails to restore the stylesheet list.

Has anyone else seen this?

Eric Everman

Running pre11 with latest XSLT plugin.

Environ:
[message] Log: java.version=1.4.2_03
[message] Log: java.vm.version=1.4.2-34
[message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.4.2_03-117.1
[message] Log: java.vendor=Apple Computer, Inc.
[message] Log: java.compiler=null
[message] Log: os.name=Mac OS X
[message] Log: os.version=10.3.3
[message] Log: os.arch=ppc
[message] Log: user.home=/Users/eeverman
[message] Log: java.home=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home
JEdit and javax.accessibility
by Anonymous on Wed, 31/03/2004 - 17:18
The primary text component of does not properly support javax.accessibility.Accessible. This makes JEdit unusable by individuals who are blind or have low vision and depend on a screen reader such as JAWS or a screen magnification product such as Magic (both products are developed by Freedom Scientific).
Mac OS X integration
by Anonymous on Tue, 30/03/2004 - 23:56
For those of you having trouble using the jEdit.app Mac OS X integration, there's a simple fix. Get the jEdit.app file that came with a previous release of jEdit and copy it into the folder for your new jEdit release. Then open up a terminal and go to that directory. eg:

cd /Applications/jEdit4.2pre11

And then replace the jedit.jar in the jEdit.app with a symbolic link to the jedit.jar in your new jEdit release:

rm ./jEdit.app/Contents/Resources/Java/jedit.jar
ln -s ./jedit.jar ./jEdit.app/Contents/Resources/Java/jedit.jar

This replaces the old jedit.jar in the jEdit.app with a symbolic link to the one in whatever folder it resides in, so now this jEdit.app will work with future releases without modification.

Mac
by Anonymous on Mon, 18/07/2005 - 20:25
i forget seekXl for macintosh. like Frankito, Adres, Arteto, Niederlande, Screengraphics, Hummel, Dj´s or other things.

Different is Response, VR6, MI2 and Handwerk and Heimarbeit.

I think that is all okay, if you can create your sites with the jEdit and this so easy. Eishockey and Fussball are the best. it is your trans-mission - do the best for you - Link On!
BeanShell error on startup
by Anonymous on Mon, 29/03/2004 - 16:03
From Windows Explorer, if I select more than one file and try to open them in jEdit using right-click option 'Open with jEdit' then I get a BeanShell error. However, all the files are opened successfully. I don't get the error if I right-click and open just a single file.
Win2K Prof, Java 1.4.2_04, jEdit pre 11

The BeanShell error text is:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer.markTokens(Buffer.java:2116)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.ChunkCache.lineToChunkList(ChunkCache.java:752)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.ChunkCache.updateChunksUpTo(ChunkCache.java:627)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.ChunkCache.getLineInfo(ChunkCache.java:248)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea.recalculateLastPhysicalLine(JEditTextArea.java:6000)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.DisplayManager.init(DisplayManager.java:572)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea.setBuffer(JEditTextArea.java:302)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane.setBuffer(EditPane.java:105)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.setBuffer(View.java:961)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.openFiles(jEdit.java:1357)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditServer.handleClient(EditServer.java:240)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditServer.handleClient(EditServer.java:176)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at bsh.Reflect.invokeOnMethod(Reflect.java:149)

at bsh.Reflect.invokeStaticMethod(Reflect.java:100)

at bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:872)

at bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:72)

at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)

at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)

at bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:641)

at bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:731)

at bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:720)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell._eval(BeanShell.java:446)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.eval(BeanShell.java:410)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditServer$1.run(EditServer.java:331)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
little problem using '[' ']' keys
by Anonymous on Mon, 29/03/2004 - 06:42
I'm on OSX 10.2.8 with Java 1.4.1

Immediatly after the use of the popup C+B for word completation I can no longer write the '[' and ']'.

For example if I use C+B to coplete an array variable name i'm not able to write '[' immediatly after, I need to write someting else before, delete it, and then write '['.
Plugin Manager
by Anonymous on Fri, 26/03/2004 - 20:10
Plugin manager downloads plugins from jedit.plugins.org even thought I have chosen a mirror site.
When I checked the download options, the mirror selected is remembered,
but it seems that is not used
Can't open UTF-16 files
by Anonymous on Fri, 26/03/2004 - 08:48
Hi,

With this version I can no longer (XML) files in UTF-16 encoding! All I see is a long long row of squares.

I'm on Win2k sp4, and tried with both jdk 1.4.2 and jdk 1.5b.

It used to work like a charm - for sure in jEdit 4.1final; but I can't remember if I tried opening these files in jEdit 4.2pre9.

Greetings,

--Tim

Works for me.
by Anonymous on Sun, 28/03/2004 - 02:04
Are you sure you didn't use the UTF-16BE or UTF-16LE encodings? These don't include the start of file marker. Use UTF-16.

Hi, jEdit identifies the f
by tnleeuw on Thu, 01/04/2004 - 08:57
Hi,

jEdit identifies the file as UTF-16. Manually selecting UTF-16LE or UTF-16BE while opening the file doesn't make any difference.

And I know that these same files used to work in older versions of jEdit; they also work in other editors (for instance Scintilla).

If I had any control over their encoding I would write them in UTF-8, but they are written in UTF-16. (And that's also the encoding named in the header, and when opening these files in a FileInputStream I know that I first get to read the marker bytes...)

regards,

--Tim
OSX Issues
by Anonymous on Wed, 24/03/2004 - 21:51
I've run across a few items running JE4.2p11 on OSX 10.3:

-The screen-top menu bar sometimes fails to come back properly after the JEdit window regains focus. It is then replaced by the default menu bar which contains only 'JEdit'. In the default menu bar, the 'Quit JEdit' option is greyed out. I can get the menu bar back by clicking on the top menu bar, however, from that point forward File|Quit and Apple-Q fail to work and I need to forceably quit JEdit from the Process Monitor. JEdit continues to be responsive and nothing is written to the Activity log when File|Quit is tried. I am using the MacOSX plugin.

-Switching to Knutsof LnF will result in loss of buttons, screen top menu bar, and other UI items.
-Using LnF 'None': It would be nice to have some type of visual indication of where the sliders are for the split panes used in docked windows. Right now, there just an extra wide, unmarked *area* separating docked windows from the editor window, but nothing to indicate that the window proporations can be adjusted.
-JDiff does not highlite differences and does not link document scrolling (is there a linked scroll option somewhere that I have turned off?)

Thanks,

Eric Everman

Full Disclosure:

[message] Log: java.version=1.4.2_03
[message] Log: java.vm.version=1.4.2-34
[message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.4.2_03-117.1
[message] Log: java.vendor=Apple Computer, Inc.
[message] Log: java.compiler=null
[message] Log: os.name=Mac OS X
[message] Log: os.version=10.3.3
[message] Log: os.arch=ppc
[message] Log: user.home=/Users/eeverman
[message] Log: java.home=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home
[message] Log: java.class.path=./jedit.jar:/System/Library/Java/:/Applications/jdev/jdbc/lib/classes12.jar:/Applications/jdev/jdbc/lib/classes12dms.jar:/Applications/jdev/jdbc/lib/nls_charset12.jar

Applescript not working / slow typing in soft wrap mode
by Anonymous on Sun, 28/03/2004 - 03:25
JE4.2p11 still doesn't successfully execute applescripts. I don't believe that this has worked since JE4.1. JE4.1 still executes applescripts in my present configuration. Has anyone else gotten this to work?

My configuration is identical to the above.

I've noticed variable character rendition speed on the screen in the various versions of 4.2. Character rendition working in large LaTeX source documents with soft wrap lags agonizingly behind typing in JE4.2p11. I always have to wait for the screen to catch up with what I'm typing. It has been better in some previous versions. I'm working on a PB 550. Otherwise, the jEdit is very responsive.
CPU spikes and slow downs
by Anonymous on Tue, 23/03/2004 - 22:09
I seem to be getting slowdowns when typing text into an existing file. They also seem to happen when scrolling.

When scrolling, every 20 lines or so, the scrolling pauses for half a second, then resumes for another 20 lines, then pauses, etc.

When inserting text, every 5 or 6 characters, there is a half a second pause then, it continues for 5 more chars, then a pause etc.

This did not occur with pre9.
CPU spikes and slow downs
by Anonymous on Tue, 23/03/2004 - 22:03
I seem to be getting slowdowns when typing text into an existing file. They also seem to happen when scrolling.

When scrolling, every 20 lines or so, the scrolling pauses for half a second, then resumes for another 20 lines, then pauses, etc.

When inserting text, every 5 or 6 characters, there is a half a second pause then, it continues for 5 more chars, then a pause etc.

This did not occur with pre10.
"Save All..."
by Anonymous on Tue, 23/03/2004 - 16:05
Even when "Save all bufferes asks for confirmation" is unchecked, it still askes when I click "save all"
(I haven

Fixed
by slava on Sun, 28/03/2004 - 02:09
Fixed in pre12
cannot start
by Anonymous on Tue, 23/03/2004 - 09:31
I cannot pass through the splash screen. When I run command "java -jar jedit.jar", I get this:
"[warning] ContextHelpPlugin: contexthelp.ContextHelpPlugin should extend EditPlugin not EBPlugin since it has an empty handleMessage()"

I have helped myself. I've de
by Anonymous on Tue, 23/03/2004 - 09:54
I have helped myself. I've deleted files ContextHelp.jar and SQL.jar from the .jedit\jars\ directory and it works now.

startup freeze
by Anonymous on Tue, 23/03/2004 - 16:07
I noticed those warning messages, too. however, I was able to trace the start up freeze down to this file: kappalayout.jar.

Not entirely sure if it is that specific JAR, but with my assortment of plugins that was the culprit for me.

Once I removed that JAR it started fine (I still get the warnings as mentioned above, but those are just warnings).
Soft Word Wrap
by Anonymous on Tue, 23/03/2004 - 04:04
When I set a number at "Wrap Margin", Soft Word Wrap works.
However, when I set 0 at "Wrap Margin", the lines are not broken.

Maybe many users were using this feature.
I want to back this function.

I absolutely refuse to answer
by Brad Mace on Wed, 24/03/2004 - 17:40
I absolutely refuse to answer this question again. A search of this site, on google, or of the mailing lists should immediately answer this, since it has been discussed a thousand times already.
pre11 install over pre9
by sasbeb on Mon, 22/03/2004 - 18:20
I found that I had to remove the .jedit directory from my "Documents and Settings" directory in order to get this version to run. (It hung after install).
That being said, I'm not sure which plugin hung it, but I'm up and running and life is good.
Great job!

pre11 freezes
by Anonymous on Tue, 23/03/2004 - 06:39
I also found that pre11 hangs after installing over pre9. Now, I am back to version pre9 which works.
Any idea what caused the freezing of pre11 ?

re:pre11 freezes
by Anonymous on Tue, 23/03/2004 - 07:58
I looked around a bit, and at least with my install it looks like the freeze at startup is caused by the SQL Plugin, I removed the Plugin jar SQL.jar and was able to start pre11.

SQL Plugin
by Anonymous on Tue, 23/03/2004 - 09:29
I had a similar thing. Pre11 loaded fine but trying to do anything with the SQL Plugin caused my system to hang. Everything appears to be OK with the SQL Plugin not loaded.

Eureka!
by svu on Tue, 23/03/2004 - 10:35
I found the matter of problem. The update will be made tonignt.
OS X Package?
by Morpheus_ on Mon, 22/03/2004 - 16:06
It'd be great if we could get an OS X image like we have for past releases. Smiling
Still a problem
by pcause on Mon, 22/03/2004 - 11:53
I had installed pre 10 and it lost prefs. Installed pre11 and set my prefs, again. I switched to Windows from Metal for look and feel and it isn't being remembered.

Can't reproduce
by fixedsys on Mon, 22/03/2004 - 13:26
Hi, the settings are remembered here on Java 1.5, W2K.

Lars
Good job, Slava and crew
by Anonymous on Mon, 22/03/2004 - 00:07
Pre11 is a great release!
I'm really excited about the BeanShell update and the tall caret
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348