jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
noserver Argument has no effect (4.2 pre 11)
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 13 April, 2004 - 16:37
Hi-
I'm running 4.2pre11 on MacOSX 10.3. I'm trying to set up for a presentation in which I would like to have multiple instances of JE running, each with different files open (Beyond what can be done with the project plugin). To prevent multiple JE instances from being linked (ie forced to have the same files open), I'm trying to use the -noserver option. The first problem I found is that adding the -noserver flag causes this message in the activity log:

[warning] jEdit: You cannot specify both the -background and -noserver switches

This seems like a bug, since the docs state that the -nobackground option is the default, and I don't see that I have the -background option set anywhere. Attempting to work around this, I added the -nobackground option to my startup. This results in no mention in the Activity Log and 'unlinking'. It seems that the -noserver flag is ignored.

Here is the relavant snipet from the Info.plist file (inside JEdit.app - its a way of bundling java apps with all of their commandline options in OSX):

<key>Arguments</key>
<string>-noserver -nobackground</string>

Has anyone gotten the noserver argument to work? Anyone specifically in OSX or 4.2pre11?

Thanks guys-

JEdit is the best tool in my box,
Eric Everman
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Whether background option is
by fireparser on Tue, 13/04/2004 - 18:28
Whether background option is the default or not depends on the OS.
On MacOS background is the default (because on MacOS closing all windows of an application does not necessarily close the app itself) on all other OSes nobackground is the default.

The -noserver option should work. If you're using Project Viewer plugin you may wan't to disable the 'Remember open project files' option, since this causes the Plugin to open the same set of files in every (independent) jedit instance on startup.

If this is not what you want, you may specify different JE servers.
For example, you could start to different jedit servers by changing the server argument value:

java -jar jedit.jar -server=server1
java -jar jedit.jar -server=server2

This will create two independent jedit instances (servers) which also remain in the background when all of their windows are closed.
So you could create two shortcuts which start different servers, effectivily letting you edit two different sets of files.

Maybe this helped you.
Regards.
Christian.
Update
by Anonymous on Tue, 13/04/2004 - 17:50
OK, so it looks like the -noserver argument does have some effect: When I click -close- on the JEdit window, Jedit closes completely. Without the -noserver flat, the JEdit window closes but the JEdit process continues.

Is this all the -noserver flag is intended to do? I'd still like to be able to run unlinked sessions...

--For those not familiar w/ OSX--
Unlike Windows, when the last window of an application is closed on OSX, the application is NOT shut down. Instead, it continues running but just happens to have no open windows at the moment. The no server flag seems to be modifying that behavior so that when the last window is closed the JEdit application is stoped completely.

Still looking for an answer,

Eric Everman
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348