jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Buffer Switching using recently edited buffers
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 21 April, 2004 - 10:32
Hi,
A feature to cycle back through the buffer history of recently edited files would be great.
e.g. ultra-edit,ms visual studio, komodo etc. hold down ctrl and press tab repeatedly to cycle back through most recently edited files.
e.g. alt-tab in windows to cycle to most recently used application.
Thanks
Michael
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
SwitchBuffer 2.0
by lturner on Wed, 28/07/2004 - 07:50
Hi

I have just added support for recent files to SwitchBuffer. I can send you the jar if you like and you can beta test it for me Smiling

Cheers
Lee
Define a key for "Go to Recent Buffer"
by fixedsys on Thu, 22/04/2004 - 07:43
Hi Michael,

go to Utilities -> Options -> Shortcuts

There define CTRL-Tab for "Go to Recent Buffer". It's not cycling through all recent buffers but switches between the two most recently edited files.

Perhaps it helps,
Lars

Buffer switching using recently edited buffers
by Anonymous on Thu, 22/04/2004 - 09:59
Hi Lars,
This is exactly what I do at the moment, (use ctrl-tab to go to most recent buffer), however this doesn't provided the functionality I would like where you can cycle back through the history of recently viewed/edited buffers.
Thanks for your reply
Michael

RecentBuffer
by kelly leahy on Sat, 12/06/2004 - 03:37
I've created a plugin (my first, so be kind). it doesn't have any help or options, currently, but provides two actions (previous and next) that you can associate with keystrokes. Previous will go back in the recently edited buffer list, Next will go forward.

I've placed the .jar and the source stuff (in a .zip) on my web site. You can find it at RecentBuffer.

In order to use it, just put it in your plugins folder and restart jEdit. Of course, no guarantees as far as how well it works, but I haven't been able to break it for a few hours, so I'm guessing its ok.

Feel free to contact me if you have problems (kellyleahy@nospam.swbell.net) (remove the "nospam." from my address)

Kelly

RecentBuffer
by Anonymous on Tue, 27/07/2004 - 16:29
Hi Kelly,
I can't seem to connect to the url you have listed here, is it still active?
Anyway I decided to follow your lead and make my first open source contribution,
so I wrote a macro that I mapped to the ctrl-tab keyboard combination (mandatory for this version of the macro).
You need to have the jython interpreter plugin installed for this macro to work.
Download and copy the macro to a file in your jedit macros directory e.g.:
/home/yourusername/.jedit/macros/Recent_Buffer_Switcher.py (linux)
c:\Document and Settings\yourusername\.jedit\macros\Recent_Buffer_Switcher.py (windows)
Then in Jedit click
Utilities - Global Options - Shortcuts - Macros
you should see Recent_Buffer_Switcher in the list,
Map this macro to the ctrl-tab shortcut and you should be in business,
This buffer changer will popup a list of open buffers in recently accessed order, releasing the ctrl button will select the
currently highlighted buffer in the list.
Ctrl-Tab scrolls down
Ctrl-Shift-Tab scrolls up (if you have gymnastic fingers)
good luck
Michael

Sorry...
by kelly leahy on Mon, 16/08/2004 - 20:51
Yeah, it's not available anymore. I forgot I took that server down. You can email me at kellyleahy (at) swbell.net if you wish to have a copy of the code / jar. I'll find it and send it to you. Perhaps you can integrate your features into the java source so that you don't need to require jython.

Kelly

RecentBuffer - splendid
by paulflory on Wed, 28/07/2004 - 03:26
I like this! This sort of functionality ought to be built into core editor.

One thing I can't seem to do, however, is to set the size of the window and have it "remembered". How is the size determined?

Thanks,
Paul

RecentBuffer - splendid
by Anonymous on Wed, 28/07/2004 - 10:04
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your nice comment, I liked your idea so I added the functionality you were asking for (I hope).
You can now set the number of recent files viewable in the list by editing the new version on line 40.
e.g. setting
self.visibleRows = 21
will display the last 21 files in the popup box
Hope this works for you
Michael
ps I'm using jedit2pre15

RecentBuffer
by Anonymous on Wed, 28/07/2004 - 13:11
Popup now resizes to fit all open buffers (version 3),
Michael

decent
by paulflory on Wed, 28/07/2004 - 18:19
Thanks for the update.
I'll let you know if my fingers think of anything else they'd like Cool

Hi All, This macro is now av
by Anonymous on Thu, 06/01/2005 - 18:46
Hi All,
This macro is now available as a plugin
http://homepage.eircom.net/~rachra/RecentBufferSwitcher.jar
Thanks
Michael

At last!
by Anonymous on Thu, 20/01/2005 - 22:11
Hi,

Thank you very much, I have been looking for this functionnality for a long time, at last I found it... good work! I've been using jEdit for a few months now (new to non-Windows programming), "shopping" for plugins when the need for specific functionality came. I was so used to VC++ 6's Ctrl+Tab and Shift+Ctrl+Tab buffer switching that I could not get used to any of the numerous buffer switching plugins I tried so far.

One interesting option would be to be able to switch between buffers without showing up the dialog box (eeeehh, to make it even closer to VC's look and feel).

Thanks again,
Eric

At last!
by mt on Fri, 06/01/2006 - 15:17
This plugin is now in jedit CVS, you can get it through the Plugin Manager, it's called RecentBufferSwitcher. Good Luck, Michael

ps I'll try and get round to adding an option so that it doesn't show the dialog box soon, thanks for the comments and suggestions

Thank you
by nextcoder on Sun, 19/08/2012 - 02:58
I've been using jEdit for years and I've never installed this very useful plugin.

dynamarker plugin (unsupported) may help
by nothere on Thu, 22/04/2004 - 13:07
Hi

Look on this webpage:

http://www.bitart.com/software.html

There's a plug-in called "Dynamarker", unfortunately it's not included in the official Plugin-database, but I use it the way you described:
"Go to previous file" and "Go to next file".

dynamarker plugin (unsupported) may help
by Anonymous on Fri, 23/04/2004 - 09:13
Hi,
I downloaded dynamarker and gave it a try, it's not exactly what I'm looking for.
It seems you have to edit a file to get it included in the history (the functionality I was hoping for would include viewing as well as editing a file).
Also it doesn't seem to cycle continuously through the history of files you have edited, i.e. once you get to the first edited file previous file doesn't go any further,
Thanks for your suggestion though, this looks like a useful plugin.
Michael
User login
Browse archives
« March 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338