jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Filesystem browser slow over network -- need alternate plugin, "SlowOpen"
Submitted by tazk on Friday, 11 June, 2004 - 11:10
(I'm using jEdit 4.2 pre14 on the Windows platform)

I can see that a lot of thought and work has been put in to improve the Filesystem browser in jEdit 4.2. I like the new interface. In 4.1, I used to often get an error popup when I typed a directory name in the filename field. I don't get run into that problem with 4.2. However...

One thing I liked about the Filesystem browser in 4.1 is that it worked well over slow networks. Because it did not have filename completion, I was able to type ahead in the filename field and open a file without waiting for a DIR I/O operation to complete. This is important since I often work from home accessing my files through a "NET USE" over a VPN. It can take, literally, seconds for jEdit to populate the File System Browser windows of my remote directories. I want to be able to enter "source/abc/def/ghi/Main.java", for instance, or "../tests/TestClass.java" and quickly open a file when I know the exact filename. Even when I'm at work on an enterprise-quality LAN, identifying remote files to open can be overly slow with jEdit 4.2. The jEdit 4.2 File System Browser works well for local files but it can be a stumbling block for remote. I've even gotten to the point where sometimes I open a Command Prompt and type jedit on the command line with the full pathname, rather than go through the File System Browser.

When I save a file, jEdit 4.2 also goes through a cycle with an awkward wait time. When I hit Control-S to save a file, jEdit goes into a mode where it beeps if I try to make new edits to files, it then enters its save, prints a message on the screen (like "1 I/O in progress"), begins to save the file and lets me type. Perhaps jEdit is doing something with its "~" file during the beep period. Over slow networks, the beep period can take several seconds.

Searching for text within a large file on a remote drive can also be slow. It appears that sometimes jEdit goes to disk during a Search->File operation on the current buffer.

So I wish that jEdit would work better on slow networks. I see that there's a plugin called "FastOpen". Perhaps we also need a plug-in called "SlowOpen". And I think improvements could be made in other areas to support remote-file work.

Thanks.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Filesystem browser slow over network
by Anonymous on Tue, 02/11/2004 - 16:17
I am experiencing painfully slow filesystem browser response on our Windows network. It sometimes literally takes minutes for the browser to show the directory tree. As a comparison, Win32 executables on the same system only take seconds to launch their filesystem browsers for the same directories.

Would it be good to provide some options in the filesystem browser that minimized how much it reads directory trees or something like that?

Thanks.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348