jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
php coder speechless
Submitted by dave_mwi on Monday, 5 July, 2004 - 17:36
Ok, where do I begin?

Every so often I go on my usual text editor hunt. I've used Textpad over the past 3 years or so vasilating from it to other editors. The list of which includes TextPad, Zend, UltraEdit, VIM and a slew of others. I have only a few requirments that I've been seeking but have been unable to find: sftp or ftp over ssh, cvs integration, syntax highligting (php) which is configurable with font sizes etc...I never really though that these were outlandish requests at all - but I usuaully could not find them all in on editor that was tolerable or affordable based on my meager income Eye-wink

Enter jEdit. Man - cool. I skipped over it once when someone mentioned it because at first glance it seemed like a java only editor. I haven't done any java for a long time and don't do any right now. However, someone mentioned it again and then what caught my eye was 80 different kinds of syntax highlighting. Hmmmmm...interesting. Holy cow, this program is cool. And it doesn't even feel like java on my windows box. How did you do it?

So I installed the program and started looking for my simple set of requirements...good syntax...quick...where's the ftp/sftp, cvs? Oh, in the plugins section....ok, where do I download, how do I install...class path this, class path that...Nope. "Click here to install". Thats it?! I am in heaven.

The Plusses for me:
- The plugins. So Easy.
- Fast. Very Fast.
- This is kinda plugin related, but the integration of sftp and ftp into the file space...outstanding.
- The cvs integration is easy.
- Sytnax checking for PHP - an unexpected plus.
- Many more plugins I've yet to discover.

The Minuses - LOL:
- well, I'm looking still
- No class/method browser for PHP? Or have I just not found it yet.

My compliments on an outstanding application. It's got everything I need and I don't see a reason right now not to use it over anything else I've tried. Again -great app.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Try "Code Browser" plugin
by fixedsys on Mon, 12/07/2004 - 10:14
Hi,

> - No class/method browser for PHP? Or have I just not found it yet.
try the "Code Browser" plugin.

The code browser requires Exuberant C Tags version 5.5 or later. You can find it at http://ctags.sourceforge.net.

Installation is easy. Look in the code browser help.

Lars
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82347