jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
JEdit working very slow
Submitted by sivanr on Monday, 6 December, 2004 - 14:50
Hello,
I'm using jEdit for several months now, and I'm very pleased with it.
One problem is bugging me from the start: altough I have several strong linux machines, I always get very slow responses from jEdit. It just works slow in all the editing issues one normally perform.

My configuration is:
I work on a desktop PC running win2k, I connect to a remote (but on-site, on my LAN) linux machine using "Exceed" software, and open a KDE desktop. Within this desktop I run jEdit.

Can someone help me with it, or point me to the appropreiate thread in this forum? I looked and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks in advance,
Sivan.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
JEdit also slow for me...
by Anonymous on Sat, 11/12/2004 - 15:07
Hey Sivan and others...

I have a very similar problem Sad

I use JEdit a lot at work and on my previous dev machine - its always been great and very responsive.

I just got a laptop and installed 4.2 Final on it. Although it works fine, its really slow. Everything else on the laptop pretty much kicks butt. It has a Centrino 1.7GhZ CPU and 1Gb RAM. I can't think of why JEdit would be definitely slower than other apps, eg MS Dev Studio, other (Windows-based) text editors etc.

FWIW I've noticed that the 2D graphics speed is a bit slow, e.g. when you log in or log out XP does a little fade effect - it isn't smooth on this machine, but a bit clunky. That makes my only theory so far that the Java widgets do a lot 2D graphics work (eg batch bitmap updates rather than "streamlined" GDI graphics like a native windows app), and perhaps that is what is slowing it down.

Or it could be something totally different...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Smiling
Ellers

jEdit very slow dependig on JDK
by CoolMischa on Mon, 28/09/2009 - 18:46
Moin, moin,

jEdit runs very slow after an update of my Linux box to FC11 with OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.6) (fedora-29.b16.fc11-i386). I tried to change to a faster JDK like BEA JRockit(R) (build R27.6.3-40_o-112056-1.6.0_11-20090318-2103-linux-ia32, compiled mode) and to SUN Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05). But it does not help. Using the SPECjvm2008 benchmark on my machine the jRockit was the fastest jdk but all of mine java application are slow. Now I have changed to SUN Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_16-b01) and jEdit is now as fast as before and I'm able to work again.

Running the SPECjvm2008 bench with this new SUN jdk shows that the BEA is again the fastest JDK. Please don't ask me why?

Regards

Mischa

Debuggers don't remove bugs,\nthey only show them in slow motion.

Who knows?

Turning off DirectDraw might help
by Anonymous on Wed, 19/01/2005 - 18:45
Hello!

I've just found out that you can disable DirectDraw for a Java application (at least when you work under Java 1.5). In the command that starts jEdit, insert:

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

(I inserted it right before the -jar option.)
This makes jEdit run quite smoothly on my machine.

Kind regards,
Axel

This works, but also disabling offscreen acceleration also helps
by Anonymous on Fri, 11/02/2005 - 23:59
I tried this and I also tried using -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false instead. This seems to work for me. I have a feeling this is an issue with some ATI drivers and Java 1.5. Seems very odd that this problem exists.

Java on rotated LCD
by Anonymous on Tue, 14/12/2004 - 11:28
I have the same problem with rendering, but only in a particular case. I have a fine Samsung Syncmaster LCD monitor than can rotate so you can work in normal (landscape) mode as well in portrait - the last one is great for coding, viewing long web pages, reading pdf documents and more.

The problem is, when I rotate the screen (and, naturally, configure 'NVIDIA settings' to rotate the actual picture - won't be much use without it), jEdit works very slow. It has a response time of nearly a second (and that's a lot when typing and, especially, editing). I figured out that it is a problem with Java engine and rendering, not with jEdit - after all, it works flawlessly in landscape mode. Smiling

I don't know much about Java (frankly, I dont' know anything), but I would like to know some fix or workaround for this problem. jEdit is great, but I like to code mostly in portrait mode and I would like to make it possible for me. If anyone knows the solution or the reference on the Internet (tried Googling, found nothing), please post.

Thnx,
Mislav
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348