jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
ctags and xml: 'follow tag' doesn't work
Submitted by McSwell on Sunday, 25 March, 2007 - 03:32
I'm using the 'Tags' plugin on an XML schema file, and I can't get it to work. Instead of jumping to the correct XML element, it jumps to the first element in the file where the correct element is located. This appears to be a result of its truncating the search string to the first 19 or so characters.

Specifically, I'm running ctags to build a tags file. This seems to be working correctly; for example, one of the elements is:

<xsd:complexType name="EnvironmentType">

The corresponding tag in the 'tags' file is:

EnvironmentType Phonology.xsd /^<xsd:complexType name="EnvironmentType">$/;" r

If in the Plugins | Options dlg box, under 'Tags-->General' I leave the checkbox unchecked for "If tag match is found continue searching subsequent tag index files", putting my cursor on the string "EnvironmentType" somewhere causes jEdit to jump to the first 'complexElement' tag in the file, which is not the correct one.

Now it happened at one point that I had two tags files, which both had entries for this XML schema file. With the check box checked, trying to follow a tag from that string gives me a dlg box that asks which of two (identical) tags I want to jump to. Each one looked something like this:

1. EnvironmentType <long filename>

r

<xsd:complexType na

You'll notice that the third line ("<xsd:complexType na") is truncated to about 20 characters. I think this explains why it's jumping to the first element in the file: it does a search for "<xsd:complexType na", and that leads it to the first 'complexElement' tag .

So why is the search string getting truncated? Does it have to do with the fact that the filename (which contains an sftp address) is so long, and it's overflowing the buffer? McSwell

Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
work-around
by McSwell on Mon, 26/03/2007 - 12:29
The problem is that the jEdit tags program doesn't deal well with double quotes in the tag line. I replaced all double quotes in my .xsd files with single quotes, re-ran ctags, and now jEdit follows the tags OK.

Mike Maxwell
CASL/ U MD
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348