jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
SideKick Documentation
Submitted by kensuguro on Tuesday, 29 May, 2007 - 23:07
Hey, I'm looking to use jEdit as an actionscript 3 editor, and am interested to see how the SideKick plugin can be extended to provide basic code completion.

I installed SideKick and also CTagsSideKick, and saw that CTagsSideKick was more of a navigation / code viewing plugin rather than a context aware dynamic code completion. (functions got added to the tree as you imported, and created them) I'm wondering if there is a community based around SideKick, or if there is more documentation I can read up on?
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Code completion using the TextAutoComplete plugin
by shlomy on Thu, 31/05/2007 - 07:16
CtagsSideKick runs the Ctags tagging tool over the current buffer and presents the tags defined in the buffer in the SideKick tree. Currently it doesn't provide code completion, but even if it did, it would only offer completion based on the tags defined in the file. For this, you can use the TextAutoComplete plugin. While the later goes not differ source code tags from other text, it might be sufficient for your purpose. I use it all the time for code completion.
jEdit-devel mailing list
by Robert Schwenn on Wed, 30/05/2007 - 21:39
Hi,

I think, SideKick plugin can be extended only by programming java. If You want to do so, You should ask at the jEdit-devel mailing list. First You have to subribe at the list.

Robert

yeah, everything in jEdit's j
by kensuguro on Fri, 01/06/2007 - 03:14
yeah, everything in jEdit's java, so I'm prepared to do some learning. But I'm not new to oop so I can read and understand just fine. The only strange thing about CTagsSideKick source is that I looked everywhere for the complete function, and couldn't find it. In fact, I couldn't find any of the completion related functions. (even the supportsComplete() function) And yet, after a successful parse, auto complete is enabled, showing candidates from the mode xml.

Anyway, I'm now looking into javaSideKick.. it's much too complex for me to understand, but seems to have a more involved code completion logic. Can someone elaborate on this point? Or am I pretty much on my own?

CtagsSideKick does not provide completion
by shlomy on Fri, 01/06/2007 - 07:25
... and this is why you couldn't find any completion-related functions in it. Hence, the auto-complete feature that you see enabled comes from another place. My first guess would be that it comes from the XML plugin rather than from CtagsSideKick, but I don't know. SideKick selects the parser according to the mode. CtagsSideKick does not install itself for the XML mode, so it's most likely it is not used at all with XML files.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348