jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
How to make 'Tasklist' work with plain textfiles?
Submitted by mabra on Tuesday, 14 August, 2007 - 18:06
Hi All !

I am using the tasklist plugin to make notes inside my code. I wish to use this type of annotations for [plain] textfiles also. This looks easy, just go to the plugin options and select the edit mode.

But is does not work.

Any ideas? Each tip is really very welcome!

Best regards,
mabra
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
TaskList only searches inside comments
by shlomy on Wed, 15/08/2007 - 05:51
Hi,
I was very surprised to find it out, but TaskList only presents tasks that are specified inside comments. It uses the syntax highlighting of jEdit to locate COMMENT tokens in the buffer, and shows only tasks defined within those comment tokens.
So - if you want to use TaskList to show tasks from plain text files, you need to do two things:
1. Edit the text mode file - modes/text.xml - and add some form of comment tokens. (you can also make the entire contents be a comment, but I doubt you'd want to do that). E.g. you can use batch-style comments, where some character (like '#') turns the rest of the line into a comment, and put your tasks there, like: # TODO: ...
2. Mark the 'text' mode in the TaskList plugin options -> modes.

Shlomy

TaskList for text mode files - exactly how?
by jastewart on Thu, 18/02/2010 - 19:23
Thank you for the guidance you have given, but I would greatly appreciate an example of the text.xml file as I am new to jEdit and have been unable to get this working despite copying various parts from the csharp.xml file etc. Any help much appreciated!

TIA,

James.

Copy these 3 lines into the m
by Robert Schwenn on Fri, 19/02/2010 - 21:49
Copy these 3 lines into the mode element but outside the rules element as You see it in csharp.xml:

(PROPS)
(PROPERTY NAME="lineComment" VALUE="#" /)
(/PROPS)

You have to replace the "(" by angle brackets, that cannot displayed here. Then (maybe after jEdit has been restarted) lines that begin with "#" will be considered a comment...

Robert

Text comments
by jastewart on Wed, 24/02/2010 - 10:01
Thanks very much for your help. I found I had to remove
TERMINATE AT_CHAR="0"
from the default text mode file as well

James,

TaskList woks now with textfiles
by mabra on Wed, 15/08/2007 - 18:58
Hi Shlomy and All !

Much thanks for this great info!!!

Ok, it was my first attempt to look into and change an edit mode file ... and I need a complete hour, but I got it working!

I just use my C# [ // ] comments, so I have my taskdefintions alrady Eye-wink

Thanks and best regards,
mabra

You're welcome!
by shlomy on Thu, 16/08/2007 - 08:18
Always glad to help. BTW, I wanted to help you with this and tell you what to put in the mode file, but there's a problem (maybe it's my ignorance problem Smiling to put XML in comments here, because the comments themselves are HTML. If someone knows how to easily include XML fragments in comments, I'd very much like to know.

Shlomy

You need to break it first. I
by George Dunham on Sun, 19/08/2007 - 23:21
You need to break it first. In this case I inserted a "\". <\!-- test--> Regards
George
My Custom Buttons
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348