jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Syntax Highlighting to Have Unlimited Number of Token types
Submitted by Pekarna on Saturday, 22 September, 2007 - 22:15
Hello,

I found the fixed number of token types in jEdit very restrictive and unpleasant. When I have some combined code (HTML + PHP + evt. JavaScript + CSS), jEdit colors everything in the similar colors. But having blocks written in different language looking different would be so nice...

I studied jEdit's highlighting definition syntax and figured out that this is not limited by the highlighting system, but by the number of token types.

I've tried jEdit long time ago, then it was quite user unfriendly, crashing and run slowly on my then computer. Now I've found that with plugins, it has all features I look for to switch from my favorite but old editor, HomeSite (which's developement has already ended), EXCEPT for the genial syntax coloring of HomeSite... I will put a screenshot at http://ondra.zizka.cz/temp/HomeSite_screenshot.png . (Intentionally synthetized mix of all languages together, what is bad practice).

So, my feature request is:

As far as the "parsing" system is capable of the feature I ask for, and even the mode files would not have to be rewritten, I guess this is only a matter of the following:

Let's not have fixed set of token types; instead, let's track all token types of each mode and let it be configurable similarly to shortcuts:
1) Separate color configuration for each mode, and
2) Global default color config for certain token types (comment, keyword1, operator), which would be applied if the specific mode setting would be "use default for this token type".

Is this in plan? Or could be? Was it already proposed? I didn't find.
Any response and opinions welcome.

Regards,
Ondra Žižka
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
SF tracker link
by Pekarna on Sun, 23/09/2007 - 14:28
Link to SF tracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1800610&group_id=588&atid=350588
Link to Tracker on sf.net
by elberry on Sun, 23/09/2007 - 08:00
I couldn't see your screenshot. However, I do like the idea of allowing for separate color configuration for each mode, though it would most likely be a lot of work.

Either way, if you have a feature request, you should actually post it in the tracker here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=588&atid=350588

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.

SF tracker for this
by Pekarna on Sun, 23/09/2007 - 14:06
Ok, I will create new tracker. I am not used to work with souceforge, so excuse me if I do it wrong way Smiling But I plan to copy and paste the same text there, would that be sufficient?

And I think this would not be that much work, anyway, I guess the colors are not really hard-coded to jEdit's core, but rather in some 'hidden' configuration...

SF tracker for this
by Pekarna on Sun, 23/09/2007 - 14:04
And the screenshot is already in place.

elberry, thanks for your advi
by Redoute on Sun, 23/09/2007 - 08:28
elberry, thanks for your advice.

So I think this forum should close and be replaced with a link to the tracker. I will suggest this in the feedback forum.
User login
Browse archives
« March 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338