jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
New Plugins: Snout and SnoutKick
Submitted by KalothIV on Thursday, 3 January, 2008 - 09:56
Hi all, this is my first contribution to the JEdit community and comes in the form of 2 plugins that I created to make my everyday coding experience and work much easier.

The first plugin is called Snout and provides a GUI for ctags that can index your source files and creates a hashtable of the results for quick and efficient searching (usually less than a second for a 16mb ctags index file).

The second plugin is called SnoutKick and is a sidebar GUI for ctags that provides a sorted symbol list for the current buffer. The symbol nearest to the caret is highlighted so that you can easily work out which function you are editing etc..

Both these plugins style their colours based on the global JEdit style and blend in nicely with the environment. You can find them on my website at http://www.finalfury.co.uk/jedit.html

I hope that they prove useful to someone. Remember that you'll need to install ctags for these plugins to work.

Chris.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
My ctags plugins
by shlomy on Sun, 06/01/2008 - 12:49
Hi,

My CtagsSideKick plugin (downloadable from the Plugin Manager) provides a customizable tree for the current buffer based on Ctags information. It's a "2nd generation" of the old CodeBrowser plugin, which was very simple and allowed only 2-level tree, where the first level is the tag types (e.g. class, function) and the second is the tag itself. My plugin allows you to choose the criteria for grouping (e.g. group by class, group by access, etc), sorting, icon, and various other things, and uses all the information that can be provided by Ctags (all the available extensions). If there's anything in SnoutKick that is not available in CtagsSideKick, I'd be happy to add it to CtagsSideKick.

As for Snout, there is a plugin named 'Tags', into which you configure a set of Ctags output files and it searches tags inside them for you ("Jump to tag"). I wrote another plugin named 'CtagsInterface', which is ready for use but hasn't been released yet, which also makes use of a relational database to store the tag information extracted from Ctags. The purpose of using a database is to be able to quick monitor changes to files and update the tags of that file only, without having to run Ctags over the entire project. CtagsInterface also provides a few "extras" such as a tag preview dockable, where you can see the definition of the tag on which the caret is currently located. If there's anything in Snout that is not in ctagsInterface, I'll gladly add it there. I'll try to have it released soon.

Thanks,
Shlomy

Thanks for the info Shlomy, h
by KalothIV on Sun, 13/01/2008 - 13:07
Thanks for the info Shlomy, however I'd like to keep my plugins as an alternative solution to give people different options. For example my plugins don't have many fancy features, they are kept simple on purpose so that they work as cleanly and quickly as possible.
Welcome! If you're interes
by elberry on Fri, 04/01/2008 - 00:32
Welcome!

If you're interested in getting your plugins included in the Plugin Manager, please refer to the documentation here:
http://plugins.jedit.org/

Also, there already is a CTagsSideKick plugin, it might be worth taking a look in to to see if what you have done could be assimilated in to that one. I know that there was another c tags plugin started and is already in the subversion repository that does what yours does as well. Perhaps you can get together with the author and maybe you guys can join together to create 1 greater plugin?
http://jedit.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jedit/plugins/CtagsInterface/

Cheers!

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348