jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
^1 ^2 ^3 stopped working
Submitted by McSwell on Sunday, 2 March, 2008 - 03:55
Sometime recently (in the past week or so?), Control-1, control-2, control-3 etc. stopped working in jEdit. Before I report this as a bug, I thought I would run it by here in case anyone had any ideas.

^1, ^2 etc. are the default keys for splitting the window. I checked and they are still assigned to those functions in the Utilities | Global Options under the Shortcuts; but when I try to assign them to some other function, they don't register at all. That is, if I click on a cell, jEdit pops up a little dialog box allowing me to "Specify Shortcut". If I type most any key, it shows up in the text box; but ^1, ^2 etc. don't appear. It's as if they aren't getting pressed. Oddly enough, ^6 still works, as does control-minus; but none of the other combinations of the control key with the top row work.

Control-. control-, and control-/ have also stopped working, and several others. I believe all the control-alpha keys work.

I thought maybe some other program was interfering. But I fired up my Other Editor, Visual Slickedit, and all these keys work fine there.

I would suspect a bug in some late version of jEdit or in Java, but if so it is odd that no one else has reported this. I did install a new Java just yesterday: 1.6.0_04, but I've also tried this with Java 1.6.0_03 and 1.5.0_02. And I'm using jEdit 4.3pre12; I have not yet tried reverting to an earlier version, although I suppose I'll try that and report back. I am running on Windows XP, all service packs. I tried both left and right control keys, and also the CapsLock key (which I've mapped back to a control key, as God intended it).

Any suggestions?

Mike Maxwell
CASL/ U MD
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Appears to be regression error
by McSwell on Sun, 02/03/2008 - 04:42
I just uninstalled 4.3pre12 and installed 4.3pre11, no luck; the control-numeric keys (except for ^6) still don't work. So I went back to 4.2, and voila! they work again.

Just to be sure, I uninstalled 4.2 and re-installed 4.3pre11, and it was broken again. So I'm back to 4.2.

I have no idea where in the progression between 4.2 and 4.3pre11 this broke. I'll wait a few days to see if there are any responses here, then I'll try to remember to submit a bug report. (I didn't see one on this when I checked, but I'm not real sure I would have found it if it was there.)

Mike Maxwell
CASL/ U MD

Hmm. I can't reproduce this i
by elberry on Sun, 02/03/2008 - 18:36
Hmm. I can't reproduce this issue.

I tested this out on my mac. Java 5 jEdit 4.3pre12 I didn't have this problem. The command key is used instead but that shouldn't make a difference.

I also tested this out on Windows XP java 5, jEdit 4.3pre12 and didn't have this issue either. ctrl+2/3 split the edit pane and ctrl+1 put it back to normal.

You might try posting this in the mailing list as it's more active than this forum.
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jedit-users

Also, you should look at the activity log "Utilities" -> "Troubleshooting" -> "Activity Log" to see if there are any exceptions thrown when you try to use the hot keys.

If there are, please include that error in your posts (here or in the mailing list), it'll help out a lot.

Sorry couldn't be more help.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.

troubleshooting
by McSwell on Mon, 03/03/2008 - 03:51
I hadn't noticed the troubleshooting menu before. There don't appear to be any exceptions in the log from pressing those keys; although oddly, every time I open the log--using the mouse and the menu--I get the ff. msg (this is with 4.3pre12 again):

10:40:27 PM [error] KeyEventTranslator: Invalid key stroke: C+e C+`

When I looked at the troubleshooting menu, I saw another choice, for a Keyboard Tester. This sounded promising, so I ran it with the following results. For a control key that works (like ^6), I get the ff.:
------------------
Event KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=0x11,keyChar=0xffff,modifiers=0x2,consumed=0 filtered
Event KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=0x36,keyChar=0xffff,modifiers=0x2,consumed=0 passed
==> Translated to C<36,0>
Event KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=0x36,keyChar=0xffff,modifiers=0x2,consumed=0 passed
Event KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=0x11,keyChar=0xffff,modifiers=0x0,consumed=0 filtered
------------------

But for a control key that has no effect, like ^1, I get the following:
-----------------
Event KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=0x11,keyChar=0xffff,modifiers=0x2,consumed=0 filtered
Event KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=0x31,keyChar=0x31,modifiers=0x2,consumed=0 passed
Event KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=0x31,keyChar=0x31,modifiers=0x2,consumed=0 passed
Event KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=0x11,keyChar=0xffff,modifiers=0x0,consumed=0 filtered
-----------------

The only difference (besides the scan code for the '1' key vs. the '6' key) is that the key that works gets translated. So perhaps that narrows the potential problem?

Also, I will take your advice and post to the sourceforge list--thanks for the tip!

Mike Maxwell
CASL/ U MD
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348