jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Updating jEdit to a newer Version + IDE question
Submitted by AzizLight on Sunday, 6 April, 2008 - 17:53
Hi everybody,
I have jEdit 4.3pre12 installed right now, but I don't remember if I installed it using the Java Installer or the regular Windows .exe installer. Now I want to installer version 4.3pre13, and I don't want to lose all my configuration stuff, what should I do.
A hard way to do it would be to take note of all the configurations I made, uninstall everything and then reinstall it; but if I could avoid this it would be amazing. Do you have a suggestion?

I also have another little question. I use jEdit for Web developpement mainly, and I use eclipse for Java. However, I'm in love with jEdit, is there a ways to make it a pseudo replacement for Eclipse? I know I can't integrate all the features of Eclipse in jEdit, but again, I don't want to. What I want is:
-all the errors to be underlined as I type or after I save and tell me what the error might be (and eventually give me a list of solutions) (like in Eclipse)
-integrate a compiler and be able to test my programs fast (like the Run button in Eclipse)
I already managed to reproduce all the other features I'm interested in (i.e. ErrorList Plugin) except those two, which unfortunately are the ones I'm the most interested in...

Thanks in advance,
Aziz
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Thanks a lot for your answer.
by AzizLight on Tue, 08/04/2008 - 00:04
Thanks a lot for your answer.
Robert, I already have all the plugins you mentioned, but until five minutes ago I haven't really tried to use them properly...and I definitely do not know how to configure them properly (yet); but now it's just a matter of time before I do.
The bad thing is that I am an "uber" super whateveryouwant-er noob in java, and Eclipse does't help because it does everything for me (I didn't even have to install Java, can you believe that?!). Fortunately, I have java installed, but now I'm having trouble making it work with the commando feature of the console plugin (which looks amazing by the way - thanks again); I think it's something with the CLASSPATH but I' not sure. CLASSPATH is supposed to be ...\jre\bin\ right?
Anyway, thanks again and again, and I'll post a new comment as soon as I manage to configure the plugins at least a little bit (if I have the time to do so :S - I have to try before I ask questions right Sticking out tongue)

Aziz
Ok thanks. But there is one q
by AzizLight on Mon, 07/04/2008 - 13:22
Ok thanks. But there is one question that I didn't ask the right way I think :S :
Let's say I installed jEdit with the java based installer, if I update it using the windows installer I will still not lose anything? In other words, does it matter with which installer I installed jEdit?

no worry
by Robert Schwenn on Mon, 07/04/2008 - 20:02
Hi,

1. The windows installer can do a bit more system integration than the jar. You're being asked at installation about:
- a context menu item for open the selected file in jedit
- run jEdit server as a system service
So, You can't loose anything...

2. Not sure what "all the errors" are Eye-wink and what You've got installed. But certainly You need the following plugins: Console, ErrorList, Sidekick, XML. Configure SideKick to parse on keystroke. So, in XML mode You get syntax errors underlined nearly in real time.

3. For general compiler integration You should first take a look at the commando feature of the Console plugin. For java there are several specialized plugins that are partially redundant. I think that the newest ones gets consolidated this time...

Good luck.
Robert
Jedit Update --- Your config
by Archimedes on Mon, 07/04/2008 - 09:01
Jedit Update ---
Your configuration is stored in the jedit settings directory, which is in the Unix* case the .jedit directory in your home. For Windows this is somthing similar, but due to the absence of Windows i cant have a look ,)
For your plugins check the
Utilitys->Global Options->Plugin Manager
Settings if the plugins are stored in the settings or the application dir.

If you upgrade jedit your settings directory keeps untouched, thus you will not loose your config.
If your plugins are stored in the jedit Application directory you can either copy them to a save place, update, copy back, or reinstall the plugins after the update. (The configuration of the plugins is stored in the jedit settings dir, so they will survive the update).
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348