jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Should I build a Python/Django plugin?
Submitted by Ristretto on Monday, 26 May, 2008 - 00:15
I'm moving from Java to Python, and Seam to Django. I'm also ditching Eclipse. I used to use Jedit for Java dev. I'm back. I would like to have a few features available that would make learning and using Python and Django a bit easier. I'm guessing the features are already there, and I just need find them or download plugins.

I've read in the forums that using 'spaces' for tabs, and setting 'deep indent' is wise, so I've done that.
I notice that there is a django edit mode, and then I set the django type in SideKick to parsed by 'xml', so now the XML plugin show the structure of the template, and the edit mode bolds the django template language keywords. This is so totally cool as a start. Big thank yous!! to the people who put this support together.

For Python, I would love these three things. Is this available somehow? Perhaps an existing plugin can be configured do it?
- code completion for imports and methods.
- method param lookups which typing
- documentation lookups (doc strings)

If nothing exists to do this, perhaps that for good reason: It isn't needed. I've heard that Python is so well designed that a programmer can keep most of the key bits of knowledge in his/her head. I'm not there yet, and I really do like handy look ups to get info and save time.

If nothing like this exists, and you think it would be valuable, would anyone want to give me tips and pointers to writing a plugin or set of macros, or ??. I would be happy to implement a solution and commit back to the project. (At this point, I know more Java than Python.)

cheers
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
jEdit devel mailing list
by Robert Schwenn on Mon, 26/05/2008 - 20:42
Welcome back!

For some python support You should have a look at the JythonInterpreter . JEdit supports completion of all words that are defined as tokens in the mode definition file. Special code completion features can be added by Sidekick plugins. But I don't know if JythonInterpreter does this.

Though this is a development related forum, most of the developers are very more active at the jEdit-devel mailing list. You really should register and ask Your questions there. Help is much appreciated every time.

Robert
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348