jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
JEdit produces ever increasing number of windows for every jedit start through a VPN connection
Submitted by Xoman08 on Friday, 30 May, 2008 - 11:03
I am using JEdit (4.2 Stable) on an old Linux CentOS (uname -r = 2.4.21) at work and on Fedora 8 at home. On both I use KDE environment. Recently I got VPN connection to work. Then I connect through a ssh -X -C -q -l username machine_name. The connection works well and it feels like working at the office. However JEdit shows some worrying phenomena. If I logout from work when I login into my session through VPN and then I can start JEdit and it will appear at my machine at Home. Everything is fine and well. However If I forget to logout at work, jedit will refuse to appear at my machine at home ... Unlike many other applicatios which do appear at the screen at home. When I get to the office I will see extra windows at the office for each time I started jedit. Also, and this is the most worrying phenomena. For every time I start jedit on a remote connection, even if it doesn't appear on my screen (it appears at the screen at work) a new window appears. So far I have 5 JEdit windows. And that number has increased for every jedit start I have executed through VPN. The fact is that when I get back to the office even after closing JEdit or rebooting the Linux machine, still when starting JEdit I get 5 windows. I am worried that if this keeps going Jedit is going to become unusable. I have been looking at /.jedit folder settings also at /tmp ... Also I have tried to start Jedit from the command line with different versions but still the phenomena persists. Nothing I can find nothing that may indicated something like a "replication of sessions - windows". If anyone can give me a hint of where to look, which files to delete in order to correct this behaviour, I will be very grateful. Does anyone know if there is "professional support" (i.e. read "paid support") for JEdit? This issue is quite urgent, if I don't get it sorted I will be forced to use another editor when working remotely. And even at the office too will be forced to stop using JEdit until this issue is solved. Could this be a bug in Jedit? Probably not, I figure is some issue in this bloody old CentOS that I have to use at work. Thanks for reading.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
views, not instances
by Robert Schwenn on Fri, 30/05/2008 - 19:54
The windows You see are not several application windows. These are "views" of jEdit (Take a look at the main menu "View" and the help file).

1. At startup jEdit opens all the views that has been open at the last shutdown of jEdit. So, the only thing You have to do is to close each view before closing jEdit and at next start there is only one jEdit view.

2. To avoid jEdit from opening a new view each time it is invoked, the command line should have the option "-reuseview".

3. jEdit appears at the remote screen: The cause for this phenomenon should be, that jEdit is already running on the remote computer AND You are logged on to this computer twice with the same user account using exactly the same user profile on disk, don't You?
In this case You should try to start jEdit with the command line option -noserver, so jEdit doesn't try to use the already running instance...

Robert
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348