jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
jEdit won't start...after hibernate?
Submitted by jimmygyuma on Saturday, 31 May, 2008 - 18:42
All my problems started when I upgraded my memory from 1G to 2G. I ran into the 'Not enough system resources...' bug. Tracked down and installed the hotfix for that. jEdit would not run. It was working fine before. Uninstalled it downloaded and installed the new version (jEdit 4.3pre14 using Java 1.6.0_05); still won't run. Maybe a restart is required. Did a restart. jEdit started right up, with the pretty colored icons and all my plugins, macros, etc. Okay, I'm set I think. I almost never shut my computer down, it takes so long to start up, plus it doesn't connect to my always on internet (or didn't, installing the hotfix seems to have jarred something loose in that department.) I started and stopped jEdit two or three times this morning with no problems, but on the third or fourth go, it wouldn't start. Double click on the icon, the hourglass appears for about a second and disappears and nothing further happens. I tried starting it from a command prompt and got 'Unable to access C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar.' I cogitate on it and try another restart; jEdit starts up fine after.

So it seems I have two choices: 1. Keep jEdit running all the time, or 2. Restart my computer before firing up jEdit.

Could someone help me please?

Jim
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
JVM
by Robert Schwenn on Sun, 01/06/2008 - 16:31
Seems that You have a problem with Your system rather than with jEdit. What's about other programs? I suspect that Your JVM hangs when jEdit doesn't start. When this happens again, please do two things:
1. Try to start another Java program (I guess it doesn't start).
2. Open task manager and kill the prosess "javaw.exe".

If this would help, the question is: Does jEdit cause the JVM to hang?

I generally would try to delete all temporary system files (in %TEMP% directory) and the jEdit settings directory.

If a start via shortcut and via command line do different things there is the question: what command have You typed and what command is stored in the shortcut?

Robert
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348