jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
vi fo+=w style linewrap compatibility?
Submitted by zhangweiwu on Monday, 10 November, 2008 - 14:55
Hello. I am a new user who want to stay compatible with my colleagues who uses vim. In vim there is a line-wrap mode called "fo+=w". Manual here:

w Trailing white space indicates a paragraph continues in the next line.
A line that ends in a non-white character ends a paragraph.

I want jEdit to behave similarly so we don't have a conflict when we both work on the same project. jEdit currently line-wrap by adding a EOL (end-of-line) right at the point of breaking, without trailing white space. This makes vim user difficult to edit the paragraph again. If vim user remove a word, the first word in the next line in the same paragraph would not flow up to the bottom of the current line as he expect, because the missing trailing space make vim think each line is a paragraph.

I could do a good goole out the solution because naturally it's hard to describe this problem. Can jEdit be configured compatible on this text formatting with vim?
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
no
by Robert Schwenn on Mon, 10/11/2008 - 18:36
Actually, it isn't possible to configure the characters to be inserted at line break (except to choose Unix/Windows/Mac).

But is it really necessary to insert line breaks? In jEdit You can use "Soft Wrap" which only influences the display but does not insert a line break. Maybe this could be done in VI afterwards?

Robert

Still it's better to see it s
by zhangweiwu on Tue, 11/11/2008 - 01:08
Still it's better to see it supported. It is possible to use softwarp and leave the task back to my colleague who use vim, but didn't solve the whole problem. e.g. if I remove a word from a paragraph created by vim user, the first word in next line would not flow up neither, until next time he edits it. But I think i'll go with the method you suggested.

Do you think it make sense to request a feature for this? Not only because we want to be compatible with vim users, but also because I thought about it and think the vim way of using trailing space to maintain line-wrapped editable is a smart & good idea.

Yes
by Robert Schwenn on Wed, 12/11/2008 - 18:12
Yes, request a feature. But do it not here at the forum site - this wouldn't make any sense. Do it at the jEdit Feature Requests Tracker.

But I'd think that the feature only should be to optionally configure extra characters to be inserted at automatic line break in hard wrap mode. This should be done easy. I guess, the trailing space in vim isn't related to automated line wrapping. It's simply a paragraph delimiter. In jedit this is a double line break. I don't think that anyone wants to change this behavior...

Robert

I filed the request
by zhangweiwu on Thu, 13/11/2008 - 12:24
I filed the request for enhancement here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2276121&group_id=588&atid=350588

Please continue comment / criticize it on the bug tracker.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348