jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
automaticlly maintain relative URI reference
Submitted by zhangweiwu on Friday, 5 December, 2008 - 05:04
Is there a way / plug-in to automatically maintain correct relative URI reference in jEdit? Say if I move or save projects/mywebsite/aboutus/contact.html to projects/mywebsite/contact.html, original reference to CSS "../ali.css" should be automatically updated to "ali.css".

The feature was there in FrontPage before I switch to Linux.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
I'm not aware of any plugins
by elberry on Fri, 05/12/2008 - 22:38
I'm not aware of any plugins that do this.

That's a nifty feature, but jEdit doesn't really understand linkages between files.

If you're willing, please create a feature request.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog

jEdit doesn't have to be awar
by zhangweiwu on Thu, 11/12/2008 - 07:38
jEdit doesn't have to be aware of linkage between files to be useful, it only needs to recognize the links. There is a smart way to do so:

src="images/logo.png" -> this means the current HTML file is in the folder that contains "images";
src="./ali.css" -> this means the current HTML file is probably not going to stay in the folder that contains "ali.css".

Say if someone moves the HTML file together with its images to elsewhere, then all link to ali.css should be updated but not links to 'images/logo.png'. A smart plug-in should be able to be told to do a replacement to update all links that starts with ./ and keep others untouched. Users can run the plug-in manually, without plug-in being able to detect the URI change automatically.

I know I didn't spoke it clear enough. Anyway I try to sort out my language and see to file a request.

Not at all, you explained it
by elberry on Thu, 11/12/2008 - 17:02
Not at all, you explained it quite clearly actually. Smiling

However, jEdit does need to be aware of (or recognize) the linkages. Smiling

The problem is, there aren't any plugins currently that parse HTML files and recognize stuff like that. src="images/logo.png", src="./ali.css" and allow you to "click" on those URIs, opening the files in jEdit.

That would be an awesome feature, and similar functionality has been brought up before.

You should definitely file a request, the more attention brought to it, the more likely it'll get added.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog

difficult to file a request
by zhangweiwu on Thu, 08/01/2009 - 14:08
I guess it is difficult to file a request for this feature because, if you think twice, it doesn't make a lot of sense to implement this only for HTML documents (although I am very sure I will only work with HTML documents with jedit, in the coming years) It would make more sense to have a general framework to manage link references in all languages. e.g. #include and include("my/library.php"); Such general framework should allow people to access linked file without browse and opening them, and maintain reference automatically. Although this is probably most needed in HTML (because HTML is a content language, thus more dynamic and updated more easily & frequently; other programming language usually change linkage less frequently thanks to that they produce content instead of being content). That means a general framework of a) file management (in case of HTML, site management; in case of C projects, "project management") b) reference recognize, registering (for future update) and updating; c) link between a and b; if you think further, those who use SVN/CVS should enough same ease of use if they move their files, thus this framework also should cover svn/cvs clients. In general it's not simple request, a documented thinking is better than discussion, maybe wiki page is more suitable in such case. I don't know how to get such whole thing started, I am not programming after all. Just an use.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348