jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
icon-packs: Howto install, create new, etc..
Submitted by jdlx on Saturday, 31 January, 2009 - 14:38
Hi,

i was searching the web and this forum about any usefull info on installation and creation of icon-packs and/or whole themes.. with little success.
The wiki article on icons[1] seems to be dead/empty, and other resources, like turdheads icon-pack[2] and installation guide[3] plain don't work for me.

So could anyone help me on these questions:

1. How/where do ypu install icon-packs?
2. Is there a tutorial or guidelines on how to create a icon.pack?
3. I suppose the themes (Metal,CDE/Motif,Mac OS) are not a part of jEdit, but of Java's Swing, ist that correct? If so, is there a simple way to change the window color (not text-area!) of a given theme (in my case MacOS)?

Bottom line is: i'd like to tweak jEdits appearance to be more mac-like.. spending hours per day in front of an editor which you love by it's functionality, yet almost hate for it's visual appearance has been nagging me for a long time.. Eye-wink

thx, for any hint..
jc

[1]http://community.jedit.org/cgi-bin/TWiki/view/Main/CustomIcons
[2]http://www.turdhead.com/downloads/OSXTurdheadIconPack.jar
[3]http://www.turdhead.com/2007/09/27/going-native-with-jedit-new-download-makes-this-editor-shine/
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
samples
by Robert Schwenn on Sat, 31/01/2009 - 22:58
1+2) I'm not sure that there is a standard way to add and change icon packs. But at the community downloads page You will find solutions for jEdit 4.2. Take a look at the Nuvola icons - it's quite simple: The nicons.jar mirrors jedit.jar:\org\gjt\sp\jedit\icons\.
3) Yes, the available Swing L&F come from Java. So, with Java 6 there is an additional L&F called Nimbus.

If You were talking about jEdit 4.2, You should give the current development version 4.3pre16 a try. Now (as of jEdit 4.3pre14) You can choose between the classic and a colored "Tango" icon theme. This also means, that the directory jedit.jar:\org\gjt\sp\jedit\icons\ now has subdirectories and many icon file names have changed. So, all the icon themes for jEdit 4.2 cannot work for 4.3!

Robert

Hi Robert, thx, for your q
by jdlx on Sun, 01/02/2009 - 01:00
Hi Robert,

thx, for your quick reply.. and sorry, i forgot to mention the jEdit version i'm running, which is 4.3p16

> .. the directory jedit.jar:\org\gjt\sp\jedit\icons\ now has subdirectories and many icon file names have changed.
> So, all the icon themes for jEdit 4.2 cannot work for 4.3!

Bummer.. that of course is a crucial info i didn't read anywhere. So theoretically, if i changed the dir structure in those 4.2 icon-packs to reflect the dir structure & image-filenames of pre14+, they might work again?

cheers,
jc

You have to change the direct
by Robert Schwenn on Sun, 01/02/2009 - 18:30
You have to change the directory structure AND the file names. And when You take a look at Your actual jedit.jar:\org\gjt\sp\jedit\icons\, You will see that there are more icons now. You'd have to mirror these icons too.

The last thing is: Since there are now subdirectories in the original icon directory, You'd have to find out, whether or not the beanshell line
GUIUtilities.setIconPath("jeditresource:/icons.jar!/icons/");
is to be changed...

Robert

You can technically override
by elberry on Wed, 04/02/2009 - 00:25
You can technically override these by supplying your own jar and executing a little beanshell.

If you create your own jar that has this path in it:
/org/gjt/sp/jedit/icons/themes/[name]/

And put that in your ~/.jedit/jars directory.

Enable it in Plugin Manager.

Then execute the following beanshell code:
[code]
org.gjt.sp.jedit.options.IconTheme.set("[name]");
[/code]

That should set the icon theme to your icon them.

It may require a jEdit restart - but it's a hackaround. Smiling

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348