jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
OS X: Gets stuck on 'run startup scripts' and is generally screwed!
Submitted by altonator on Monday, 9 February, 2009 - 20:49
I'm using 4.3pre16 on OS X Tiger and it's been fine for ages, but now it's done all screwed up! When I start jEdit the startup pane gets stuck on 'run startup scripts'. jEdit pretty much loads, but only some of my views open (I had about 5 views open before). And if I try to create a new view I get an error (will paste the errors below).

It was doing this for a few days, and now it's got even worse... if I open the file system browser it just gets stuck trying to list the directories. And now jEdit wont even open files, it just fails to load them.

I haven't updated Java or jEdit, it just started going a bit nuts all by itself!

I know nothing about Java, so I'm hoping that someone else will be able to make more sense of these error messages than I can!..

Actually, I'll save them somewhere and link to them instead of pasting a whole load of crap here...
http://www.adamalton.co.uk/jedit_errors/
Ta da!

Any help, ideas or guidance greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Altonator
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
This problem persists for me...
by thothamon on Thu, 20/08/2009 - 23:59
Using 4.3pre17, I freeze at "run startup scripts". I am on Mac OS X Leopard, latest updates applied. I have completely deleted the ~/.jedit directory, and the problem persists. It's my understanding that all plugins are installed in the .jedit directory, so now that that directory has been deleted, it would seem other modules, like SideKick, are not installed.

1. I recall that someone dele
by Robert Schwenn on Sat, 22/08/2009 - 15:20
1. I recall that someone deleted an old .jedit directory while jEdit was using another one (because of a change in MAC OS). That's why the question: Has jEdit re-created this deleted directory? If not, You have to look for the right one!

2. Plugins are loaded from two places: (a) the user's settings directory and (b) the "jars" subdirectory of jEdit's home directory.

3. Maybe the MACOS plugin is a problem?

Robert

The settings directory change
by elberry on Mon, 24/08/2009 - 19:00
The settings directory changed in pre17 to the Mac standard location.

It's now located under your home directory, inside the Library directory.
~/Library/jEdit

I believe there is an backwards compatibility issue with the perspectives.xml file.

So if you just remove that file, you should be able to start up without problems.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog
Well the startup error looks
by elberry on Mon, 09/02/2009 - 21:34
Well the startup error looks like it's originating from the Sidekick plugin. Please try to uninstall it and try again.

It also seems like there may be some issues with your settings directory.

Please try quitting jEdit (COMMAND+Q), deleting, or moving your ~/.jedit directory somewhere else, and then restarting jEdit.

If this alleviates your problems, something may have become corrupted in the settings directory.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog

Well, that kind of worked...
by altonator on Thu, 12/02/2009 - 23:25
I removed my ~/.jedit directory, which fixed the problem, but of course removed my settings/prefs. I tried to put some stuff back to see if I could find the bit that was causing the problem, but no real luck. I tried removing and reinstalling the SideKick plugin, but that didn't really help.

So I've just started fresh. And I'm glad I did... whilst re-installing my plugins I found some new ones that are really good! And whilst resetting my keyboard shortcuts I discoverd Smart End! Woo! A blessing in disguise!

Thanks for the help.
Altonator
User login
Browse archives
« March 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338