jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Proper colors for inline CSS
Submitted by Lobotom on Wednesday, 22 July, 2009 - 08:30
Hi people,
I have had jEdit installed on my comp for two years or so, and for the last months I've been using it intensively for making web pages : my main benefit from jEdit was to easily spot details of CSS properties, as I had the content of the style="" attribute displayed just like CSS in a .css file, green prop names and pink/red/blue values.

Now for no good reason yesterday I decided to update jEdit to 4.2 final and behold! I have lost all embedding functionnality. I used to almost never mind jEdit settings, so I'm not sure what my previous install was, I do remember I kicked off out-of-date plugins (one or two) after 4.2 was installed.

I've been trying any kind of plugins and modes since yesterday, including "A colouful HTML" which does NOT work well at all (for my 4.2 at least, random HTML tag color choices, same for CSS) but I couldn't find anything that would do it.
I'm in dire need for retrieving an equivalent of my previous install, and much frustrated that an update threw me back to the stone-age of editing comfort. I could try another editor, but hey, I feel familiar with jEdit and I'd prefer trying it all before waving it bye-bye.

Any clue or direction is very welcome.

(As a side note I'll add that the css.xml that comes with a 4.2 final fresh install doesn't even work properly : in pure CSS files I've noticed some properties names, like "top", are mistaken with values).
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Well, since You've "lost ALL
by Robert Schwenn on Wed, 22/07/2009 - 19:46
Well, since You've "lost ALL ... functionality" of jEdit, it shouldn't be too hard to find something of it Eye-wink

OK, please give some bits of information:
- What a file is opened (content, extension)
- What edit mode is active for this buffer (see status bar or buffer options)
- What's going wrong exactly: Is there nothing highlighted at all?

The syntax highlighting works without the need of any plugin. Maybe You should try to disable all plugins to see if there are any interferences. Also, You should check Your color settings in Utilities -> Global Options -> Syntax Highlighting.

For me, CSS highlighting works in both css and html files.

Robert

Hello, thanks for trying to h
by Lobotom on Fri, 24/07/2009 - 12:04
Hello, thanks for trying to help.

Answers to your questions :
- Example of an opened file : "index.html" content is the usual.
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC is in green, as well as the > closing tag.
In a line like <td id="banner_left" name="banner_left" style="width:110px;"> all is blue except = is black and width:110px; is ALL pink
(I used to have width in green and 110px in pink)

- My buffer options say edit mode is html and in status bar I have "(html,none,ISO-8859-1)"

- As detailed above I get any html attribute value in pink, which is normal, except I used to have the "style" attribute content highlighted AS CSS, i.e. as what I get opening a .css file. And now it's just all pink. And that matters much to me for my process of building web pages.

To summarize I don't get embedded highlighting for CSS, it highlights HTML as such, and the CSS that's nested in the HTML... No. HTML alone is deep enough, it seems to consider.
Twistedly enough, embedded script (namely javascript) is colored properly... As if jEdit just forgot that style="..." contained CSS.

EDIT : I just checked Options - colors Highlighting and saw that FUNCTIONS and such things were included in the list. That explains why javascript is shown correctly, it's part of the html coloring policy. Seems safe to assume my install just doesn't do embedding ! Sad

Hi, I tried jEdit 4.2 with
by Robert Schwenn on Fri, 24/07/2009 - 19:53
Hi,

I tried jEdit 4.2 with the original HTML mode: Inline CSS isn't highlighted for me, too. But strings inside a tag are highlighted as LITERAL1. Do You have assigned the same color for MARKUP and LITERAL1?

I'm using jEdit 4.3pre17 and inline CSS is highlighted properly. I've taken a look at the differences of the mode files in jEdit 4.2 and 4.3: It's a complex thing Smiling. So, it's not easy to tune Your mode files and You can't use the mode files of jEdit 4.3 because of syntax changes.

So, I would suggest to give jEdit 4.3pre17 a try. Though it's a development version with some more bugs than 4.2final it's pretty stable and an improvement.

Robert

Hi again, no, I've let col
by Lobotom on Fri, 24/07/2009 - 23:23
Hi again,

no, I've let colors highlighting as they were : MARKUP is blue and LITERAL1 is pink, so at least that's one highlighting I have.

About 4.3pre versions, OK, fault is entirely mine, I won't complain because I'm using some Microsoft crap so it's all deserved, but I'm working on a Vista laptop and 4.3pre (16 or 17 ?) won't install or won't run, can't remember, but I can't use it.

Thanks alot for your concern, I really appreciate. At least I know now that 4.2 works the same for you, so nothing is broken nor wrong with my jEdit.
Hopefully someone passing by will name up some plugin I wasn't able to find myself.

Weird though that both previous versions and 4.3 "natively" highlight inline CSS and not 4.2, I wonder if it's intentional or related to the syntax changes you mention or something.

As you wrote 4.3pre17 and I think I remember trying 4.3pre16 I'll go have a try at this latest version, in case this one might run.

EDIT : 4.3pre17 won't do it, as for my previous attempt at the development version, the launch screen (the logo with progression bar at the bottom) gets stuck at the "run startup scripts" step. Sad

settings directory
by Robert Schwenn on Sat, 25/07/2009 - 14:17
Every jEdit version uses the same settings directory. 4.3pre17 hangs at startup because of an incompatibility to old settings.

To get jEdit 4.3pre17 running, You should exit jEdit and delete the perspective.xml inside the settings directory (normally C:\Documents and Setings\(USERNAME)\.jedit\). If this wasn't successful, You should delete (or rename) the whole settings directory.

Robert

Hooray! Thank you very much.
by Lobotom on Sun, 26/07/2009 - 15:44
Hooray! Thank you very much. This worked.

For some reason I had figured this personal settings directory was deleted when jEdit was uninstalled. So my few "fresh install" acts didn't erase it... And I anyway didn't have a clue this could be the 4.3pre17 problem.

Cheers again for your time and concern. You made someone glad today.
Because as one might guess, getting CSS displayed the proper way again feels good.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348