jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Disbaling some of the Menu Items
Submitted by qooraf on Tuesday, 26 January, 2010 - 17:02
Hi,

I like to customize the jEdit in such a way that only required features are shown to users. For that i like to disable some of the features like
- Markers
- Folding
- Utilities
- Macros

Is it possible? if yes then which interface or API gives me this opportunity?

Secondly i want to pre-load some of developed plugins in such a way that user don't have to load those explicitly. I like to create an install package such that all the plugins are already part of jEdit and the user doesn't have to load those via plugin Manager. Is this possible? if yes how can i do that?

Will really appreciate if someone can help me.

Cheers
Qooraf
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
customize menus
by Robert Schwenn on Tue, 26/01/2010 - 18:19
1. Most menus are defined by properties in jedit.jar:\org\gjt\sp\jedit\jedit_gui.props. You have to find the matching property, copy it to a .props file (as described in my other answer) and change the property. It's easy, but keep in mind that You will never get any changes made by the developers to a menu You've customized anymore as long as You override it by Your own property.

Here's an example which:
- removes the "Markers" menu item
- adds an "testmenu" item to the main menu
- reduces the "View" menu

# original main menu definition:
#view.mbar=file edit search markers folds view utils macros plugins help-menu

# changed main menu
view.mbar=file edit search folds view utils macros testmenu plugins help-menu

# new main menu item with 2 items: a macro (relative path) and an action
testmenu.label=$Test
testmenu=Misc\Show_Threads.bsh \
split-horizontal

# reduced view menu
view=new-view \
new-plain-view \
close-view \

2. The Macros menu mirrors all files of the macros subdirectory of jEdit's program directory...

Robert

Thanks Robert
by qooraf on Wed, 27/01/2010 - 09:14
Your provided info serves my purpose fully.

Thanks.

Qooraf
install plugins
by Robert Schwenn on Tue, 26/01/2010 - 17:52
Plugins are loaded from two places: (a) the user's settings directory and (b) the "jars" subdirectory of jEdit's program directory. Plugins that are installed in the latter are automatically loaded for all users who use this installation. The install procedure is trivial: Just copy the plugin's jar file and - if there are any- other jars it depends on.

If You want to preset some properties for all users: Create a file with extension ".props" an save it to the "properties" subdirectory of jEdit's program directory. Now You can grab each property You want from Your ~\properties file and copy/move it to the new .props file. For example, the property "console.dock-position=bottom" docks the console dockable at the bottom. Or "next-buffer.shortcut=C+TAB" assigns the shortcut "CTRL+TAB" to the "next-buffer" action. These properties become the new default. Users can override them as usual.

Robert
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348