jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
properties dialog of ftp plugin not working
Submitted by notknow on Thursday, 4 February, 2010 - 01:31
Hi erveryone,

i'm working with jQuery for years now and i love it.

had to use the ftp.Plugin, it works as far as up- and downloads are concerned, but i can not
use The properties-dialog. I just get an java-whatever exception.

I am using jQuery 4.3.1 with on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

I need this dialog urgently, so i wasted time with trying 3 other editors - TextWrangler, the ftp connection seems to work, but the app itself is not too user friendly (no side by side windows for multiple files etc), Komodo-Edit-5.2.4 which reproducably crashes when trying to connet to a remote server with its ftp functions", Textmate (i would even have bought it - but out of the box it does not even offer the slightest support for ftp).

I'm a bit under stress and this is time killing.

Does anyone know how to get the properties dialog to work?

Or anyone who has a tip on another app than jQuery which is capable of doing what it says it does - basic ftp?

Thanks a lot.

Yes, i might use a "normal" ftp client, i might use one where i can define a standard app to open downloaded files with etc. But i cannot believe the only ftp plugin for jQuery i found is not working. And it is not hat i wanted in the first place. Do i have to pay for Zend Studio in the very end -

Had to test some applications and frameworks (php) over the last days, i'm really pissed with all of that stuff not working, sorry, i'm really...

And i'm not into Java at all, so...
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
?
by Robert Schwenn on Thu, 04/02/2010 - 21:09
I never use ftp files directly in a editor. So, forgive me the question: Has jQuery anything to do with jEdit and Your problem here? I thought it were sufficient to install the ftp plugin to open files via ftp.

If the "only" problem is, that the ftp plugin isn't working as it should, then You could:
- insure to use the latest versions of jEdit (4.3.1) and ftp plugin (0.9.7)
- delete (or rename) Your settings directory, which could be screwed-up

Thanks for your reply. Yo
by notknow on Thu, 04/02/2010 - 23:25
Thanks for your reply.

You might have found out that i was mixing up jEdit with jQuery because i had some jobs with jQuery involved recently. Sorry for that. I did indeed mean jEdit. This suits the messed up chronological order i somehow managed to produce here.

It's the same with me, never had to (!) use ftp files directly in an editor - but now there is a need to do so and within a quite complex folder structure on the server with a lot of small files involved.

And i thought it would come in handy to reach all from one central point.

Meanwhile i found out that TextWrangler comes near to a solution when using the Window/Arrange... option. At least this is a (free) solution which allows to keep the FTP dialog open and easily reachable at all times AND have multiple files opened in multiple windows side by side. Nevertheless jEdit is more comfortable with managing file views. What i dislike is the FTP window disappearing every time i load a file and when using it again just showing the folder the file opened before was from.

Hu, will have to experience working with both and then decide.

Still thankful for any tip, including how to activate the "Properties" option of the jEdit FTP plugin.

Thanks.

Let's go
by Robert Schwenn on Fri, 05/02/2010 - 22:37
I just installed the FTP Plugin and can use it the way You want (I think). Please follow these steps:

- Open a file system browser ("Utilities -> File System Browser") and dock it to the left or right side
- In File System Browser choose: "Plugins -> FTP -> Connect to FTP-Server"
- Enter connection information inclusive password, check "Save password ..." and confirm the dialog
- In File System Browser the root directory of the FTP server should be shown
- Now You can open file after file without the need of repeated FTP-login

- For convinience in File System Browser You should go to a directory You want to use often and choose: "Favorites -> Add to Favorites"
- From now on You can open the FTP connection in File System Browser by choosing: "Favorites -> ftp://blahblah" and confirming the login dialog which already shows the login information incl. password

First I've had trouble when I wanted to open more than 2 files (error message regarding ".. only 2 sessions allowed ..." and empty buffer). Maybe this can be avoided by waiting for an acomplished open operation before trying to open the next file (monitor via "Utilities -> Troubleshooting -> I/O Progress"). But I tried another way: At FTP-login I disabled "Passive Mode" with great success. Downside: The FTP server has to be able to communicate with Your local machine. So, You have to configure Your firewall accordingly.

Robert
Sorry
by notknow on Thu, 04/02/2010 - 04:52
I had already posted this, thought so at least, after all i'm not shure where a new entry shows up, my writing somehow is out of chronological order on the threads page.

Anyway, i just wanted to apologize for having called the FTP plugin "a fragment of a plugin". Really. I know how much work is behind such stuff but i was a bit tempered.

As of now, i still am.

I have to correct one thing: Komodo Edit DOES connect via FTP without any problems - it even keeps the opened files in a sidebar to have them at hand at any time. Very nice, nicest implementation i found up to now.

BUT it does not support tiling the main window in sub windows a jEdit does. Whaaa.
I'd be happy about any hint
by notknow on Thu, 04/02/2010 - 03:33
I'd be happy about any hint - i'm running out of apps to test...
If this is impossible without paying for, i'd consider doing so -
but Zend Studio, as an example, it seems to be a bit TOO expensive to me.

Thank you.

Because:

It's getting really funny...

Tried "Fugu", it only works with specific Editors, jQuery not being among them (but jQuery X, the Cocoa-Version (commercial) of jEdit is, of course).

Filezilla would be great, tried it. Well, i'm on a "old" Mac, NOT Intel, so i have to use Version 3.0.6 of Filezilla. Everything works, download, opens in jEdit, is editable and savable (files are temporarily stored on hd, when Filezilla regains focus it asks whether to reupload the files or delete them).

And it just simply too often happens that this dialog window disappears behind the main Filezilla Window. And then that was it. No way to reach the dialog window, it's behind the main app window. No dialog no file saving. Would have to kill Filezilla every time this happens.

Restarted system to check if i can permanently move the dialog window, no need, now the files don't even open up in jEdit, jEdit just starts and no file opens.

Will try Cyberduck now. Not confident at all.

Cyberduck supports Editors wi
by notknow on Thu, 04/02/2010 - 04:59
Cyberduck supports Editors with ODB interface. Seems jEdit does not supprt this interface?
Sorry, there was sth missing:
by notknow on Thu, 04/02/2010 - 01:35
Sorry, there was sth missing:

I am using jQuery 4.3.1 with Java 1.5.0_07 on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

This is the error, well, a "n
by notknow on Thu, 04/02/2010 - 01:46
This is the error, well, a "novel" it seems to be - is that why some peolpe call java too complex? java.lang.ClassCastException: ftp.FtpVFS$FtpDirectoryEntry at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.FilePropertiesDialog.(FilePropertiesDialog.java:75) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.browser.VFSBrowser.fileProperties(VFSBrowser.java:883) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.invokeMethod(Reflect.java:134) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.invokeObjectMethod(Reflect.java:80) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:855) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:75) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(BSHBlock.java:130) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHBlock.eval(BSHBlock.java:80) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:362) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:258) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:186) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellFacade.runCachedBlock(BeanShellFacade.java:225) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:423) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellAction.invoke(BeanShellAction.java:73) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.browser.VFSBrowser$BrowserActionContext.invokeAction(VFSBrowser.java:1961) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.browser.VFSBrowser$BrowserActionContext.invokeAction(VFSBrowser.java:1898) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditAction$Wrapper.actionPerformed(EditAction.java:221) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1882) at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2202) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:334) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1000) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1041) at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:231) at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5554) at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3126) at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5319) at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2010) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4021) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2068) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3869) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4256) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3936) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3866) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2054) at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1774) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3869) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:463) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:180) at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Dialog.java:517) at java.awt.Dialog$2.run(Dialog.java:545) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:543) at java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:1300) at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:1253) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.browser.VFSFileChooserDialog._init(VFSFileChooserDialog.java:360) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.browser.VFSFileChooserDialog.(VFSFileChooserDialog.java:73) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.browser.VFSFileChooserDialog.(VFSFileChooserDialog.java:57) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.showVFSFileDialog(GUIUtilities.java:877) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.invokeMethod(Reflect.java:134) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.invokeStaticMethod(Reflect.java:98) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:871) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:75) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(BSHBlock.java:130) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHBlock.eval(BSHBlock.java:80) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:362) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:258) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:186) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellFacade.runCachedBlock(BeanShellFacade.java:225) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:423) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellAction.invoke(BeanShellAction.java:73) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:352) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$4.invokeAction(jEdit.java:3255) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$4.invokeAction(jEdit.java:3237) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditAction$Wrapper.actionPerformed(EditAction.java:221) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1882) at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2202) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:234) at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:231) at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:231) at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:231) at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5554) at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3126) at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5319) at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2010) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4021) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2068) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3869) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4256) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3936) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3866) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2054) at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1774) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3869) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:463) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

no "delete" functionality?
by notknow on Thu, 04/02/2010 - 02:12
maybe it's just too late and i cannot concentrate well, so just in case i didn't look for it well enough - please, where is the "delete" button of the FTP plugin to delete remote files? If there is none i will definitely turn away from this, which then i would call "fragment of a plugin". Is there another one tested better? please help, i'm getting depressed now...

Edit. just after having thought about saying "sorry" i once more oppened the dialog window and "Delete" was there. Is it sometimes NOT there or maybe i was totally blind?

The problem with the Properties-option still remains.

another FTP client
by d_l on Sat, 06/02/2010 - 19:52
hope this tip does not take your eye off the jEdit ball but I find Total Commander from http://www.ghisler.com very handy for FTP and general file management (but Windows only).

net -> ftp new connection

and you can use F4 to associate your files in jEdit (or other editor).

configuration -> options -> operation -> edit/view

I use both tools.

p.s. .. I've just noticed you are Mac user.

Problem Solved?
by mreude on Thu, 25/02/2010 - 03:13
I don't know if you can find one for Mac or not, but I found a "FTP Drive" program for windows. It allows you to browse your ftp site as a drive. I've been using one and it seems to do pretty good. The one I'm using is called "FTP Drive". Hope this helps.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348