jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
jerky performance on 64bit win7
Submitted by Rambosmurf on Tuesday, 25 May, 2010 - 10:54
I see there are some other threads regarding this that pertain to slow draws of the textarea and/or windows such as the file browser, with a variety of hardware and os-configurations.

I'm having the same problem after reinstalling my computer with windows 7 64 bit, previously windows 7 32 bit. I did this as i god an 8gb ram upgrade and an ssd, but these hardware changes are imo unlikely to be the source of the problem. In that sense the hardware is essentially the same before and after reinstall.

The performance of jEdit 4.3.2 on the same pc under 32 bit was immaculate, while the performance under 64 bit is jerky. I can sense a slight lag as i type, selecting and scrolling through larger pieces of code is noticable more jerky, windows take a long time to render. I've tried reinstalling both jEdit and java, also googling for 64bit specific editions of java, but there doesnt seem to be any 64-bit specific java packages?

In any case, the java binary on my computer says 32-bit.

What i did notice however (just now) is that jEdit is running under something called server-background mode, as detailed by the about screen. I saw from a different thread (http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/4165#7870) that one user outlined a possible cause as java beeing run in server mode. Are these two related, and what exactly does this server mode in jEdit do?

If it helps, the hardware im running on is as follows:
Nvidia quadro fx 770 mobile
Core2duo cpu
Intel ICH9 family chipset
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Possible solution for jerky jEdit on win 7 64 bit
by Rambosmurf on Wed, 26/05/2010 - 07:24
thanks for your feedback.

trying to trick sun into offering the 64-bit version of java turned out to be hard. I think this has to do with the fact that my cpu is EM64, and not true 64, and thus win7 installs the 32-bit edition of IE by default, with no apparent way of overriding.

However, i did find this page where you can download snapshots of the amd64 version: http://download.java.net/jdk6/

so heres what i did:
1. uninstall java jre update 2, both developer and the client
2. install the 64 bit amd64 snapshot from the url above
3. change the target in your jEdit shortcut to something like this: "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx192M -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar" -background -nogui

the 32 bit binaries are nowhere to be found on my computer now, and the *32 tag of java.exe is gone in task manager, meaning that this is not in all likelyhood running on the 64 bit binaries.

However, im not completely sure if this actually solves the problem. I think things run a bit more smoothly now, but im no sure, it could be placebo.

If you are suffering from jerkyness under 64 bit win 7, try this out, let me know if you think it improves anything.
Java - 64 bit
by Robert Schwenn on Tue, 25/05/2010 - 22:45
1. I'm afraid that the traps of Windows 7 aren't discovered enough for jEdit as there are: file access restrictions, silent redirection of certain file accesses and whatever...

2. There should be a 64-bit JRE, see http://java.com/de/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml . Maybe You see the right download only, if You are using a 64bit Internet Explorer when searching for the Java download. I think I would try this.
Modes
by Robert Schwenn on Tue, 25/05/2010 - 22:26
1. "Server mode" is the normal operating mode and means, that only one instance of jEdit is started at all. All jEdit windows You see are "Views" of the same jEdit instance.

2. "Background mode" means: when the last view is closed, jEdit stays running invisible. I use this mode always. But it's a bit dangerous in the way that You may forget about this running but invisible jEdit when it should not be running, i.e. when installing a jEdit or Java update!!! To exit this process You need a visible jEdit view and choose "File -> exit".

Maybe You could try this procedure:
- Ensure, that there is no jEdit or other Java process is running
- Delete jEdit settings directory (path it is mentioned in the activity log)
- Remove jEdit and Java
- Re-install jEdit and Java
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348