jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Frequent crashes on OS X
Submitted by dfilip on Sunday, 13 June, 2010 - 20:33
I have just started using JEdit and love it ... when it works! However, using it under OS X frequently crashes.

I am justing Snow Leopard - 10.6.3 - and drag-n-drop files into the JEdit which usually launches JEdit with the file source. However, sometimes - more frequently after I've just logged in (?!) - it will launch, and then immediately crash, giving me the options to ignore / restart / report. Sometimes it will launch JEdit with an empty buffer (even though I've dragged-n-dropped a file), sometimes it will crash immediately, and sometimes it will launch with the correct file source. After a crash, I repeat the same drag-n -drop of the same file repeatedly, it will eventually work and not crash, but may take 2 or 3 or up to 4 or 5 times before it works, although I don't think I've ever had to do it more than 5 times. However, after I've launched it by draging-n-dropping a file into it, editing and saving files seems to work flawlessly.

If I manually launch JEdit with an empty buffer and then drag a file into it, it usually works, but again, sometimes will crash.

Important hint: because I am developing for a Java 1.5 server, the JVM that I am using is Java 1.5.0_19, from Snow Leopard. Therefore, I am NOT using the 1.6 JRE that Apple provides with Snow Leopard, but rather the JRE 1.5 that Apple provided with Leopard. Could this be causing my problems?

Is anyone else having similar problems under OS X? I think its a great editor when it works, which is actually most of the time, but find it frustrating when it crashes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
jEdit frequent crashes on OS X Leopard
by dfilip on Fri, 18/06/2010 - 13:26
Well, I see that nobody has provided any feedback, which I guess means that either a) I am the only one having this trouble, or b) everyone else is and it is in an FAQ somewhere that I haven't found out searching the forums.

If it is a), and hints as to how I can further troubleshoot this? Because it is not a hard failure, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Problem Found - BufferTabs
by dfilip on Wed, 30/06/2010 - 13:09
OK, I've solved my frequent crashes under OS X by removing the BufferTabs plug-in. That seemed to be causing the problem. Seemed like a simple enough plug-in, but since removing it, I have not had any crashes.
User login
Browse archives
« March 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82334