jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Plug In issues and errors
Submitted by teedoff on Saturday, 18 September, 2010 - 13:19
Ok I have installed jEdit on two separate computers and get the same outcome. After I installed, I went to plugin manager and installed all the plugins. WHen that finished, several of the plugins seemed to not install, and even showed up as errors in the plugin manager. The first pc I installed jedit on, I left the plugins alone after installing them, so everytime I opened jEdit, the pluginmanager popped up and showed me all these plugins that didnt install correctly. Then last night I installed jEdit on my laptop, and installed all the plugins but removed the ones that were buggy.

Still, on both machines, an error keeps popping up, so much so that I cant even begin to learn to use jEdit, that says somethinmg about global cant be set, and for me to go to plugin manager and set global path to 'global'. I tried that, but it seems to be already set to that.

Anyone know whats going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Before You start installing p
by Robert Schwenn on Mon, 20/09/2010 - 10:29
Before You start installing plugins, it's a good idea to consider some things:
1. There is nobody who ensures that older plugins work proper with newer jEdit versions. The plugin maintainer would have to do so. But when a plugin is older than 3 - 4 years, chances are that this plugin is orphaned...
2. Most plugins don't come from the core developers. They are not coordinated! So, many plugins implement similar functionality, and You have to chose ... (I would prefer newer ones).
3. Some plugins use external programs that You need to install separately and tell it's path to the plugin via plugin options (i.e. ctags, global)
4. Every installed plugin noticeably extends the time jEdit needs to startup.

My advice is to begin from scratch:
Re-Install jEdit and install plugins that are some kind of core plugins like:
- ColumnRuler
- Console
- Error-List
- jDiff
- MacroManager
- ProjectViewer or Sessions
- SideKick
- SideKick parsers like:
- XML (recommended)
- JavaSidekick (if You want to edit Java source code)
- CtagsSidekick (only if You know that You need the external ctags)
- TextTools
- WhiteSpace

Then, after exploring all the given functionality and options, You can try further plugins. But install them one by one.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348