jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
jedit usage problem & reinstalling jedit
Submitted by joyce on Saturday, 1 April, 2006 - 19:17
i use jedit for about a year already. normally when we open there is a few times, they do not save. or time out error. recently this few days, or this few weeks, the problems happen that after i correct the php files with jedit, i cannot never save the file. 1 out of 100 times i can save. and i need to amend my website!

then i uninstall all jedit include the file .jedit in document and setting files.

i download both the stable version java based jedit and the development version and i can never download the plugin ftp and buffer list. i uninstall again and try another minor, i try all the minor in usa already and i uninstall everything after i try and try and it still have connection error 100%. i even try the minor in uk and it does not work.

i need jedit to amend my website!

i have to use the java running enviroment for the jedit. i download the latest version already from sun corporation.

please help, i need help. any help to solve this problem will be appreciated.
Dead simple way to run jEdit from a USB drive in Windows without a pesky command window.
Submitted by walkeraj on Thursday, 2 February, 2006 - 20:26
Simply create a directory called "settings" in the jEdit directory, and use this batch file to start it. It will set up the environment variables from the relative path, so that no matter where jEdit is it will load its settings from that directory. The "start" command will cause Windows to spawn the jar as an independant process of the command prompt window, leaving it free to close. Then, run jEdit as normal!

---start_jedit.bat---
@echo off
set GUI=-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel
set CNFG=^-settings=%CD%\settings
start %CD%\jedit.jar %CNFG%
---------------------
Installing Jedit system wide??
Submitted by sunking on Thursday, 2 February, 2006 - 19:43
I want to install Jedit in a system wide state, would I install to '/usr/local/bin'??
Right now it's installed in my local home folder so only I can start it.
Which is fine but I have to 'cd' into my home folder and do java -jar jedit.jar everytime.
Ideally I like to add it to my start menu and just click to start, which I know
I can do, (at least I think I can), Just want to know if there are any specail parameters
I need to add when i install?
example: should I just change the default install to /usr/local/bin??
Running with the concurrent garbage collector to prevent memory bloat
Submitted by jedi_tor on Thursday, 12 January, 2006 - 13:11
How do you run jedit with garbage collection happening concurrently?

When jedit is starting up and loading a bunch of files from a previous session, the memory bloats up quite a bit, much of which is just waste as it is just stray objects as can be seen after the next manual collection run. I wanted to prevent that by having the garbage collector run simultaneously.

There's supposed to be a certain percentage performance hit, which is no big deal for an editor.

I tried
java -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit 4.2\jedit.jar"

It seems a little better, but when I click the garbage collection button, multi-megabytes of heap are still recovered, which I don't think should be the case if the collector is continuously running.

Any thoughts?
How can I install jedit?
Submitted by nadavvin on Tuesday, 10 January, 2006 - 10:38
I have Mandriva 20066 and I instaled Jedit via "urpmI jedit"

Because, I didn't able to open it, I try to install jedit42install.jar
with java jedit42install.jar

but I get the following error:

$ java jedit42install.jar
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: jedit42install.jar not found in java.lang.ClassLoader$1{urls=[file:/home/user/tmp/./], parent=null}
caused by:

My java version:
java version "1.4.2_00"
java full version "kaffe-1.4.2"
kaffe VM "1.1.x-cvs"

Engine: Just-in-time v3 Version: 1.1.x-cvs Java Version: 1.4
Heap defaults: minimum size: 5 MB, maximum size: unlimited
Stack default size: 256 KB

What's wrong?
jedit doesnt work!!
Submitted by asiam on Wednesday, 16 November, 2005 - 04:19
hi
i installed both of the java-based and windows installer.
no problem appeared when installing both of them but
when i tried to open JEdit it didnt worked.
when i try to open the JE file, an icon appears on my desktop and nothing happens after that.
could anyone help me pls about this issue.!!
i tried to restart my computer but nothing changed!!
jedit doesnt work!!
Submitted by asiam on Wednesday, 16 November, 2005 - 04:19
hi
i installed both of the java-based and windows installer.
no problem appeared when installing both of them but
when i tried to open JEdit it didnt worked.
when i try to open the JE file, an icon appears on my desktop and nothing happens after that.
could anyone help me pls about this issue.!!
i tried to restart my computer but nothing changed!!
Problem Installing jEdit from .jar file
Submitted by matazar42 on Sunday, 16 October, 2005 - 20:22
Ok, I've never installed anything from a .jar before so I probably forgot something stupid. I'm using RedHat 9 linux. I downloaded the .jar and ran it with this output:

[root@localhost zips]# java -jar ./jedit42install.jar
Warning: -jar not understood. Ignoring.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ..jedit42install.jar
at 0x40268e17: java.lang.Throwable.Throwable(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)
at 0x4025bc8e: java.lang.Error.Error(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)
at 0x4025d6b6: java.lang.LinkageError.LinkageError(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)
at 0x4025eb36: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.NoClassDefFoundError(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)
at 0x402ad075: gnu.gcj.runtime.FirstThread.run() (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)
at 0x4024fc4c: _Jv_ThreadRun(java.lang.Thread) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)
at 0x4021c8ac: _Jv_RunMain(java.lang.Class, byte const, int, byte const, boolean) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)
at 0x08048910: ?? (??:0)
at 0x42015704: __libc_start_main (/lib/tls/libc.so.6)
at 0x080486c1: ?? (??:0)

Any help is appreciated.

-Matthew
Confustion about plugins installation
Submitted by Sam Hobbs on Monday, 10 October, 2005 - 03:44
I am new to jEdit. I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

First, let me say that installation of jEdit was easy and totally successful. I first upgraded to JDK 5 but that is no problem.

Before installing jEdit, I downloaded a few plugins at the same time that I downloaded jEdit. Later I discovered that I was not supposed to do that, correct? I am supposed to install jEdit first, then use the plugin manager to install plugins, correct? When I say "supposed to", I mean that it is the solution that is provided and is the intended method. If I am correct that it is best to first install jEdit, then there should be some comments in the jEdit plugins pages.

Also, the documentation says that a plugin can be installed either as a system plugin or a user plugin, or something like that. Yet it does explain the difference.

Okay, while typing this, I think I realize what the difference is. Perhaps the difference is obvious to those that know what the difference is, but it is not obvious to those that do not know what hte difference is. A system plugin is available to all in a system, whereas a user plugin is available to only the user. Is that it? If so, then the reason it is not obvious is because it is not clear that there is no difference among the plugins. In other words, every plugin can be either a system or a user plugin, but that is not made clear. You simply need to state (if this is correct) that a plugin can be installed either as a system or a user plugin.
SQL plugin install/config
Submitted by acicovic on Monday, 3 October, 2005 - 11:46
Hi. I am trying to install/configure the SQL plugin on a Windows XP system using a mySQL database.

First of all, I have downloaded the plugin with the plugin manager. I have also downloaded the mySQL connector/j driver and added its path in the CLASSPATH enviroment variable as well as the SQL plugin's JDBC settings.

According to the plugin's documentation, there should be server type configuration files in the .jEdit/sql/serverTypes/ folder. In my case, there are no such files, not even a serverTypes directory. I guess that this is the reason why I get an empty combobox when I choose "Plugins -> SQL -> Choose the Server"? Can anyone help me?

Thanks... Smiling
Timeouts in downloading plugins
Submitted by Peter Mount on Friday, 30 September, 2005 - 00:52
Hi

I tried using the plugin manager to install 11 plugins through my dial up modem at home. I had trouble as I kept getting a timeout message so none of the plugins downloaded. Could this be a problem with the server?

Thanks
Install from source
Submitted by tkuneck on Saturday, 27 August, 2005 - 03:31
The source package compiles quite nicely with a copy of apache ant and sun jdk 1.5 that I compiled myself. The documents also compile fine.

I'm running a linux system (LFS if your curious).
When I try to run jedit as the user that I used to compile the sources, jedit runs without errors. However, I get a bunch of permission errors when I run as another user as a result of attempting to read the document files, and then jedit comes up without a tip of the day, all the documentation does not work, general chaos ensues.

SO... can I build the installer so that I can install the minimal files elsewhere?!? What files are required at a minimum for installation?

----
this is the output as a different user.
java -jar /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/jedit.jar

[error] jEdit: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/modes/catalog (Permission denied)
[error] jEdit: at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
[error] jEdit: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:106)
[error] jEdit: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:66)
[error] jEdit: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.loadModeCatalog(jEdit.java:3823)
[error] jEdit: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.reloadModes(jEdit.java:1246)
[error] jEdit: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:409)
[error] BeanShell: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/startup/startup.bsh (Permission denied)
[error] BeanShell: at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
[error] BeanShell: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:106)
[error] BeanShell: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:66)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.io.FileVFS._createInputStream(FileVFS.java:372)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell._runScript(BeanShell.java:344)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell._runScript(BeanShell.java:284)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runScript(BeanShell.java:210)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Macros$BeanShellHandler.runMacro(Macros.java:996)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.runStartupScripts(jEdit.java:3323)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:451)
[error] ErrorListDialog$ErrorEntry: /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/startup/startup.bsh:
[error] ErrorListDialog$ErrorEntry: Cannot load: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/startup/startup.bsh (Permission denied)
[error] TipOfTheDay: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/doc/tips/tip44.html (Permission denied)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:106)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:66)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:70)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:161)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at javax.swing.JEditorPane.getStream(JEditorPane.java:719)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at javax.swing.JEditorPane.setPage(JEditorPane.java:406)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.TipOfTheDay.nextTip(TipOfTheDay.java:139)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.TipOfTheDay.(TipOfTheDay.java:56)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2200)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager$PerspectiveHandler.endElement(PerspectiveManager.java:344)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseETag(XmlParser.java:1041)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseContent(XmlParser.java:1112)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseElement(XmlParser.java:947)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseContent(XmlParser.java:1118)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseElement(XmlParser.java:947)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseDocument(XmlParser.java:496)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.doParse(XmlParser.java:176)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parse(XmlParser.java:146)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager.loadPerspective(PerspectiveManager.java:81)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$5.run(jEdit.java:3450)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
[error] WorkThread: Exception in AWT thread:
[error] WorkThread: java.lang.NullPointerException: Mode must be non-null
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer.setMode(Buffer.java:2016)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer.setMode(Buffer.java:2066)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer.finishLoading(Buffer.java:3920)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer.access$800(Buffer.java:71)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer$1.run(Buffer.java:280)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThreadPool.doAWTRequest(WorkThreadPool.java:392)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThreadPool.doAWTRequests(WorkThreadPool.java:380)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThreadPool.access$200(WorkThreadPool.java:37)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThreadPool$RunRequestsInAWTThread.run(WorkThreadPool.java:477)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
Failure to install jEdit in my mobilephone...
Submitted by seekXL on Saturday, 27 August, 2005 - 01:09
Hello,

give it a mobile solution of jEdit for mobile phones? my problem is, that is use a handy nokia9500 communicator with Symbian OS 7.0 Operation System; HTML 4.01-/XHTML-Browser and Java (MIDP 2.0). i download the "jedit42install.jar" file from ...optusnet/sourcsforge... and want to be install, but the handy says NO ?!

where is the misstake? have my phone a incompatible Java Version?

thanks for the help

seekXL
Jalopy plug-in - version conflict
Submitted by TES on Wednesday, 17 August, 2005 - 09:38
Using the Jalopy plug-in can potentially lead to problems if you are also using Jalopy as a command-line tool, Netbeans, Ant or other plug-in because the file formats in Jalopy's home directory .jalopy where it stores all its settings have changed.

The latest Jalopy version available from http://jalopy.sourceforge.net/ is 1.0b10. Please note, that the Jalopy plug-in listed on jEdit's plug-ins page is an older version (1.0b7) which is not compatible with the config files of 1.0b10.

I had already been using Jalopy's Ant plug-in. Installing the jEdit Jalopy plug-in led to my settings being replaced by Jalopy's default settings; the config files written by jEdit's Jalopy plug-in were unrecognized by my Ant plug-in and builds (from the command line) failed.

On http://jalopy.sourceforge.net/ there is a newer jEdit plug-in (1.0b10), which is compatible with the other plug-ins also available on this site.

Removing the plug-in I had downloaded on the jEdit site and replacing it with the one from the Jalopy site resolved the conflict.
Python vs. Jython - Newbie Question
Submitted by Jim Sudduth on Monday, 15 August, 2005 - 22:25
I'm just learning Python/Jython and have installed jEdit 4.3pre2 on the 1.5 JDK. When I try to run a Python script that uses urllib2 the Jython interpreter says "ImportError: no module named urllib2". Does Jython not have this module? Also, is there a way to point jEdit at my local Python install or is there a Python plugin? The Python programminng web site says there is but I haven't found it in several days of searching.

Thanks,
Jim
Difficulties to launch jedit
Submitted by christophGille on Wednesday, 10 August, 2005 - 10:38
I would like to launch jedit from my application using something like
org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(new String[]{f.getAbsolutePath()});
What I get is
AWT-EventQueue-0: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: java.lang.NullPointerException
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer.markTokens(Buffer.java:2165)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.ChunkCache.lineToChunkList(ChunkCache.java:760)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.ChunkCache.updateChunksUpTo(ChunkCache.java:635)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.ChunkCache.getLineInfo(ChunkCache.java:244)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.ChunkCache.getScreenLineOfOffset(ChunkCache.java:70)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea._finishCaretUpdate(JEditTextArea.java:5187)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea.finishCaretUpdate(JEditTextArea.java:5377)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea.setSelection(JEditTextArea.java:1629)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea.selectNone(JEditTextArea.java:1600)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea.setBuffer(JEditTextArea.java:318)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane.setBuffer(EditPane.java:105)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.setBuffer(View.java:995)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$5.run(jEdit.java:3454)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

A jedit frame is opened but does not work properly

My current work around is to start java via Runtime.exec. It which works but
is a wast of resources because a new virtuel java machine is created.

Can somebody please help me solving this problem,
Many thanks

Christoph
Problem installing jEdit on Windows - beanshell startup.bsh error
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 11 July, 2005 - 18:09
Hi, I recently tried to install jEdit on my computer, but it won't run. It starts loading and then this error message pops out:

Sourced file: C:\Documents and Settings\mywei\Desktop\jEdit\startup\startup.bsh unknown error: Prohibited package name: java.lang : at Line: 22 : in file: C:\Documents and Settings\mywei\Desktop\jEdit\startup\startup.bsh : e = Math .E

any idea what's wrong? i tried different versions/installs and they all came up with the same error message.

Thanks in advance.
Copying Jedit with Plugins and Configuration From One Machine to Another
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 14 May, 2005 - 14:15
Hi,
I have the following dilemma. I am currently using jEdit with several plugins on my Linux machine. I want to use jEdit on a Sun machine that has no internet access. I can take a CD with me and take the jar file but I was wondering if I could take all the plugins and settings that I have on my Linux machine with me. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing so? Thanks for your time.
windows file associations
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 10 May, 2005 - 23:19
How do the windows file associations get set for jedit? I don't want jedit to open my .dsw files.
JEdit hangs after splash screen Mac Os X 10.3.9
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 7 May, 2005 - 23:07
Hi,

I'm trying to run jEtid on my Mac however it does not work. I've tried to install Security Update for Javaj 2005-02 but it did not work neither. Haven't anybody experienced the same problem?
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348