jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Strumpfhosenland
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 25 November, 2004 - 22:45
Windows installer doesn't find Java
Submitted by rovf on Tuesday, 23 November, 2004 - 08:49
Running the Windows Installer, I get the error message

"Setup unable to find a JDK or Java Runtime 1.3 or higher"

I have installed JDK 1.4, and my JAVA_HOME environment variable points to this
directory. Also I am able to run other Java applications, such as ant. What else
could be the reason for this error message? What other environment variables
should I check?

Ronald
Windows installer doesn't find Java
Submitted by rovf on Tuesday, 23 November, 2004 - 08:46
Running the Windows Installer, I get the error message

"Setup unable to find a JDK or Java Runtime 1.3 or higher"

I have installed JDK 1.4, and my JAVA_HOME environment variable points to this
directory. Also I am able to run other Java applications, such as ant. What else
could be the reason for this error message? What other environment variables
should I check?

Ronald
Building jEdit from source under Windows
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 11:23
How build jEdit from source code on Windows platform ?
Hangs at splash screen on XP SP2 + Sun j2sdk1.4.2_05 + jEdit 4.2
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 11 November, 2004 - 01:03
Tried both generic jar and windows installers, installation went smoothly.
But jEdit hangs at splash screen when started (progress bar reaches the end).
Any idea what could be wrong?
brand-spanking newbie needs help.
Submitted by neurotrash on Sunday, 7 November, 2004 - 00:36
Will some generous soul tell me how to download the ruby edit mode? I press the download link and I see what to my ignorant eyes is gobbledygook, sans instructions. So?&Huh?etc.
jedit + usb HOWTO posted
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 2 November, 2004 - 01:27
I have helped a few people with a .bat file I have created to use a usb and jedit from any computer with Java on it...

For those who may find it helpful, here is a sortof "howto" on how to accomplish this. Here is a link to a page I made up describing this process for windowsXP.

http://blue_technx.tripod.com/usb-jedit.html

regards,

David Gurba
Installing jEdit on USB key
Submitted by silang on Thursday, 28 October, 2004 - 22:48
I would like to install onto a usb key including java runtime to be able to run from Linux or Windows. I could do with some help on paths. Any hints?

Many thanks
pre13 version available?
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 23 October, 2004 - 15:39
Is the 4.2 pre13 version available anywhere? It doesn't appear to be available on the jEdit download or Sourceforge pages. I'd like to download it in order to get the jEditLauncher inside it (no longer in the final 4.2 release).
Make a "juste install" package
Submitted by Marcogringo on Thursday, 21 October, 2004 - 07:51
Hi,
I have create an application wich is a script engine. So, a lot of users of my application will have to write scripts. My scripts are in xml format. So, I have test a lot of XML editors. JEdit (with the XML plugin, and some others) I the only one that is free and great. Know, I would give JEdit to the users, with my application, but I would like that the users juste have to install a "special package" of JEdit, with XML plugin, using the embeded sideKick xml tree browser. So, the user will not have to download the plugins, configure it, .... Is it allowed to do it ? And if yes, how can I do the package ?
Open With Jedit in context menu didn't work - problem solved
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 29 September, 2004 - 17:41
After deinstalling a pre-Version and installing the final version of Jedit4.2 the Open With Jedit in context menu didn't work anymore.

Changing the following Registry-key (Win Xp) solved the problem:

HKEY_LOCAL_MASCHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\Shell\Open with JEdit\command

"c:\j2sdk1.4.2\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Programme\jEdit\jedit.jar" -reuseview "%1"

to simply

javaw.exe -jar "C:\Programme\jEdit\jedit.jar" -reuseview "%1"
(as javaw is in my path anyway)
Same settings and plugins for all users?
Submitted by cyther on Wednesday, 29 September, 2004 - 17:37
Hi!

How to set up jEdit so that all users (on Linux) use the same settings, plugins etc?
Sorry if it a FAQ (I didn't find any clue in the Help or FAQ).

Thanx
Cyther
Can't Install on SUSE LINUX 8.0
Submitted by evangelinux on Wednesday, 22 September, 2004 - 22:30
I may just be overlooking something here:

I have both 1.4.05 JRE & SDK installed. I dropped the jedit42install.jar into /tmp, and tried to run it from the command line. Either nothing happens, or I get an error message (I'll try again later this evening to get the exact words) to the effect that I can't run it. If I double click on it in KDE, it wants me to pick a progam to open the file with. Do I need to change the permissions on the JAR file (as I have with regular binary installers)?

Thanks in advance,
Don
Can't install Jedit on Solaris 9 (Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from)
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 16 September, 2004 - 15:45
Hello,

Can't install jedit 4.2 on Solaris box, here is my steps

bash-2.05# java -version
java version "1.4.2_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_04-b05, mixed mode)

bash-2.05# java -jar jedit42install.jar
Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
jedit42install.jar

Why ? Smiling

thanks

Ostap
jEditInstaller can't find JRE on WinXP?
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 9 September, 2004 - 13:44
Trying to install using jEdit42Install.exe on WinXP. When I click the executable, I get the following message:

Setup unable to find a Java Development Kit or Java Runtime 1.3, or higher, installed. You must have installed at least JDK or JRE, 1.3 or higher to continue setup. Please install one from http://java.sun.com and restart setup.

I do indeed have JRE 1.3 installed on this system. In fact, when I install using the jEdit42Install.jar, I can use jEdit just fine. How do I trick the installer into recognizing that I have 1.3 installed?

Alternately, if anyone can tell me how to create a windows batch file that accepts command line options (e.g., jedit.bat -e file.txt), I'll be just as happy. Thanks!
I/O error trying to install AntFarm plugin - Connection timed out: connect
Submitted by kcpdad on Sunday, 8 August, 2004 - 12:33
I've installed JEdit w/o problom on Windows XP Home Edition but when I try to install the AntFarm plugin it fails because of a connection time out. Help! Thanks!
Linux creating a (shortcut) link on the desktop
Submitted by cannon on Thursday, 5 August, 2004 - 21:11
Hello,

I tried, and so far 'am failing to create a link on the desktop to jedit on my linux box.
My bash script runs fine from the console (only):

#!/bin/sh
#
javaw -Xquickstart -Xms10mg -jar /usr/share/jedit/4.1/jedit.jar
# EOF.

Regarding jedit it self, on linux and with the IBM compiler it runs without much fuss, and almost like a native application - hint renicing it does wonders.
The file browser needs further work on, it is not responsive to double clicks as one would expect (right click/Open is better than double clicking).
This is probably to do with how nodes are linked and the file system being accessed in linux.

My linux installation is mandrake 10, java/jedit have to be installed/twigged manually.

At home only recently I converted to linux; so any help with this would be great.

Regards,
Cannon
Compiles 1.5.0, but it runs 1.4.1_02 and I can't set it
Submitted by tgm1024 on Thursday, 5 August, 2004 - 13:34
Hi, I have jEdit (ver 4.2pre15) configured to use

C:\jdk1.5.0\bin\javac

for compiling, but I see no place where I can tell it to execute with

C:\jdk1.5.0\bin\java

unless I hand type it all out in the console plugin. It seems to default to
my prior 1.4.1 jre installation's java.exe (not my prior jedit
installation, since I've never installed it before):

C:\Programs\jdk1.4.1_02\bin\java

When I ask the console plugin for what the current path is, I get this
prepended to the path:

C:\Programs\jdk1.4.1_02\bin;

(...) And this is not showing up in my user path verified both through a
"dos window" and from the control panel->System->Advanced->environment
variables. I'm on windows XP pro.

BTW, there is no such option Start->Programs->jEdit->setjEditParameters. The only two programs
there are

jEdit
and
Uninstall jEdit

And I can find no similar option anywhere within jEdit itself.

What's going on? How do I execute on jdk1.5.0 by default?
The 9th Circle of Hell: building a jEdit distribution with ant
Submitted by namxat on Wednesday, 4 August, 2004 - 04:47
Hello. I am not new to jEdit, but I am fairly new to ant. I am trying to build the dist target, and am routinely rewarded with a quite verbose, yet uninformative, list of errors.

Now I don't know if I should be superuser when I build this (I assume I should), and I don't know what environment variables ant and/or jEdit's build.xml file expect (the build.xml file is not enlightening to me). None of this is documented anywhere that I could find. I do have my $JAVA_HOME global environment variable set to '/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05', and '$JAVA_HOME/bin' is included in the global $PATH variable.

Upon initial examination of ant's output, it appears as though none of the standard j2sdk classes are being found by ant. Since pretty much EVERY modern distribution of Sun's JDK includes the standard Java class files on the system classpath by default (1.4.2 DEFINITELY does), the only explanation I can think of is some sort of rogue dynamic classloader issue. In any case, I am thoroughly convinced that had Dante's Inferno been written in modern times, dealing with ant and/or dynamic Java classloading would have been listed as one of the punishments for sinners in the 9th Circle of Hell.

But enough venting from me. If anyone can think of any glaring newbie mistake I might be making after examining the following error trace from my pitiful attempt to build a jEdit distribution, I would greatly appreciate the advice:

[root@localhost jEdit]# ant dist
Buildfile: build.xml

init:
[delete] Deleting: /usr/src/jEdit/doc/docbook-wrapper.xsl

compile:
[javac] Compiling 362 source files to /usr/src/jEdit
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/textarea/TextAreaPainter.java:54: error: Superinterface `TabExpander' of class `org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextAreaPainter' not found.
[javac] public class TextAreaPainter extends JComponent implements TabExpander
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/syntax/Chunk.java:305: error: Type `TabExpander' not found in the declaration of the argument `expander' of method `init'.
[javac] public void init(Segment seg, TabExpander expander, float x,
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/syntax/DisplayTokenHandler.java:43: error: Type `TabExpander' not found in the declaration of the argument `expander' of method `init'.
[javac] TabExpander expander, List out,
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/syntax/DisplayTokenHandler.java:156: error: Type `TabExpander' not found in declaration of field `expander'.
[javac] private TabExpander expander;
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/gui/TextAreaDialog.java:89: error: Type `JTextArea' not found in the declaration of the local variable `textArea'.
[javac] JTextArea textArea = new JTextArea(10,80);
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/gui/ViewRegisters.java:119: error: Type `JTextArea' not found in declaration of field `contentTextArea'.
[javac] private JTextArea contentTextArea;
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/gui/AbbrevEditor.java:216: error: Type `JTextArea' not found in the declaration of the return type of method `getBeforeCaretTextArea'.
[javac] public JTextArea getBeforeCaretTextArea()
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/gui/AbbrevEditor.java:222: error: Type `JTextArea' not found in the declaration of the return type of method `getAfterCaretTextArea'.
[javac] public JTextArea getAfterCaretTextArea()
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/gui/AbbrevEditor.java:229: error: Type `JTextArea' not found in declaration of field `beforeCaret'.
[javac] private JTextArea beforeCaret, afterCaret;
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/gui/AbbrevEditor.java:229: error: Type `JTextArea' not found in declaration of field `afterCaret'.
[javac] private JTextArea beforeCaret, afterCaret;
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/gui/PasteFromListDialog.java:124: error: Type `JTextArea' not found in declaration of field `clipText'.
[javac] private JTextArea clipText;
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/pluginmgr/InstallPanel.java:449: error: Superclass `JTextArea' of class `org.gjt.sp.jedit.pluginmgr.InstallPanel$PluginInfoBox' not found.
[javac] class PluginInfoBox extends JTextArea implements ListSelectionListener
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/print/BufferPrintable.java:28: error: Class or interface `javax.swing.text.TabExpander' not found in import.
[javac] import javax.swing.text.TabExpander;
[javac] ^
[javac] /usr/src/jEdit/org/gjt/sp/jedit/print/BufferPrintable.java:375: error: Superinterface `TabExpander' of class `org.gjt.sp.jedit.print.BufferPrintable$PrintTabExpander' not found.
[javac] static class PrintTabExpander implements TabExpander
[javac] ^
[javac] 14 errors

BUILD FAILED
file:/usr/src/jEdit/build.xml:35: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

Total time: 4 seconds
[root@localhost jEdit]#
New install gives me MRJ error
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 20 July, 2004 - 05:52
Hi, I've just installed jedit on an up to date install of OS X, and everytime I run JEdit I get "Mac OS Plugin requires a newer version of Java (MRJ 3.2).

What does this mean? and what effects does it have?

TIA,
Mark
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349