jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
ProjectViewer: How to add a certain file?
Submitted by Axel on Thursday, 27 January, 2011 - 11:07
Hello,

how can I add a certain file to ProjectViewer?

Up to jEdit4.3pre18 & ProjectViewer 2.1.3.7 I pasted the file path into "Add Files from VFS" for getting the file listed in the ProjectViewer.

But now, with jedit 4.4 & ProjectViewer 3.1.0, "Add Files from VFS" seems to have disappeared and I can't find a way to add a certain file (besides those, which are created as "new"). - How do you do this?

If I remember right, I had the the same problem even with jedit 4.3.2, stable release.

Axel

Doesn't work:
Windows XP
jedit 4.4 Java 1.6.0_07
ProjectViewer 3.1.0

This works:
Windows XP (same system as above)
jedit 4.3pre18 Java 1.6.0_07
ProjectViewer 2.1.3.7
How to enable (X)HTML tag highlighting?
Submitted by mamboze on Monday, 24 January, 2011 - 02:47
Hi,
I had to reinstall jEdit recently and I can't work out how to enable html tag highlighting showing the enclosed code block. At the moment, all I'm getting when I click on one of the angle brackets of a tag is the other one getting indicated with the cursor. This is not very useful when editing (X)HTML pages. Also, when editing a php file, how can I get the php specific tags to be highlighted differently to HTML?

Thanks in advance for any help.
X11 forwarding on a Mac
Submitted by lg on Friday, 21 January, 2011 - 17:47
I sometimes want to run jEdit on Mac A but display it on PC B. Other X11 applications simply can be forwarded through an ssh-tunnel but when I login into A from B with X11 forwarding enabled and run

% /Applications/jEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/jedit

or

% java -jar /Applications/jEdit.app/Contents/Resources/Java/jedit.jar

the application is opened on A rather than B. Other X11 applications work as expected. I also have a linux machine C with jEdit. There is no problem at all running jEdit on this machine and display it on either A or B.

Is this a problem with jEdit or java? Or possibly Apple's X11 server?
Syntax error highlighting on save?
Submitted by greescom on Wednesday, 12 January, 2011 - 14:46
I used to do a lot of php coding with jedit & I'm sure that when you saved your document any syntax errors were highlighted in red & it told you at the bottom how many errors you had (with the "PHPParser" plugin installed).

I am now learing JAVA using jedit & I had assumed that same functionality would be included, However I am not getting any syntax errors at all in jedit for PHP or JAVA.

I have done a fresh install of Jedit so maybe I have messed something up?
incresing character size
Submitted by igonasu on Tuesday, 4 January, 2011 - 08:28
I don't understand why the character size is so small. This program is not accessible for me with reduced view - or -
How can i set the font size in jedit? I can see any function or help about that!
Thank-You for help!
igonasu
How to install JCompile?
Submitted by Unspoken on Tuesday, 28 December, 2010 - 21:41
Hi guys.

BACKGROUND:

I was using jEdit few times in previous few years since 2003 or 2004 I guess. I've used it on occasion to develop some short java programs. Alwayas I've been able to install JCompile plugin until this day. As usually, I've downloaded the jEdit from the Internet so I must have latest version (4.3.2) for Windows. However, JCompile is not visible under plugin manager and I have no clue how to install it in a different way.

Could somebody help me on this?

Thanks.
jEdit + RVM + console
Submitted by Clyssandre on Tuesday, 7 December, 2010 - 22:10
Hi there,

In my long journey trying to find a comfortable IDE for Ruby on Rails on
Ubuntu, I found this tutorial to set up jedit :
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Jedit-for-Rails

It looks fine for the moment but I have one slight problem with the
console plugin : it can't find RVM. Consequently it can't find any rails
version and I can't run any ruby scripts or rake commands. RVM works
properly in a usual terminal of course.

rvm -v doesn't work (unknown) but anything else like firefox -v does. So
I guess the console plugin simply doesn't load RVM when it starts.

I posted on two rails forums and couldn't find any answer at the moment. Could anyone help me fix this ?

Thanks, Lily
Where is the output of jlint??
Submitted by wandro on Monday, 6 December, 2010 - 09:42
I have successfully installed jlint/antic and defined the paths to these programs. But when I run lint on C/C++ sources, nothing happens. Where can I find the output of lint?
creating a user language dictionary in jEdit
Submitted by pat4kin on Tuesday, 23 November, 2010 - 10:43
Hallo!
I have been in search of a text editor for work on a desktop running MS-Win-XP and a notebook running Linux Ubuntu.
Having installed jEdit on the XP system I am impressed with the functionality.
I am building a translation model to translate my English texts into German and need the ability to run my dictionary on the jEdit platform. The dictionary is based on a csv file structure.
Can anyone recommend me a way to get a dictionary running with jEdit?
I would like to make use of the create text tags function on jEdit.
I would then use the same tags with the dictionary entries.
Would BeanShell be a way?
What would, for a non-programmer, be the best way to create a simple dictionary look-up script?
For any good ideas I would be very grateful.
Thanks and regards, pat4kin.
Menu Editor with Separators
Submitted by patchworker on Thursday, 18 November, 2010 - 22:45
Hello,

I really like the Menu Editor plugin and added some new menus, e.g. XML

I put some actions into the new XML menu and now I would like to put in some separators. I didn't find something about separators in the help-menu and now I don't see why the "Separator" Button doesn't work for me (jEdit 4.3.1 on Ubuntu 8.04)

(in the SourceForge/ bugs & patches list I also didn't find anything about this problem)

Can somebody give me hint how I can add separators using the plugin or manually in a props file?

Greets!
Daniel Brüßler
Does Jedit garble any HTML files?
Submitted by Hannes on Wednesday, 3 November, 2010 - 08:23
Hi,
I have Jedit with the Plugin Includes Parser for HTML pages and as a german citizen, I do use a lot of Umlaute (special characters) in the Include. The Head of the HTML file does show the entry that the endoding is utf dash eight (I can not include the sample code, because I already did write my question with the code mentioned and this board deleted it due to suspicious characters).
After inserting the Include Code into the main HTML page by the Includes Pager, all the Umlaute are shown totally garbled.

Is it correct that the Includes Parser does change the encoding into whatever else, but does not insert the special characters in the correct encoding? In utilities, Global Options, encodings the default character encoding is set to utf dash eight.

Is there any work-around? Normally, I do not bother to find a solution for faulty software, but I seem not to be able to find any other editor with includes capabilities working under Linux.

I tried to find a mode whereby Jedit would change the special characters into HTML entities on-the-fly during entering, as is possible for example with dreamweaver, but until now I did not find anything.

If there is a work-around or any solution I would be grateful for any hint!
Is it possible to open a file in Project Viewer by typing filename?
Submitted by kwon37xi on Thursday, 28 October, 2010 - 08:08
I installed Project Viewer and FastOpen, Jump and try to open a file which is in a project with it's filename, but failed.

The thing I want is Open Resource(Ctrl-Shift-R) in Eclipse.. (Opening a file which is in a project by typing some part of filename)

Is there any plugin like Open Resource thing??
Search and Replace popup hides search results
Submitted by greghk on Thursday, 21 October, 2010 - 01:13
The search and replace popup menu often hides search results as it seems to always be on top of the jEdit screen showing the current buffer. Especially on a netbook 1024x600 px screen! The incremental search bar (C+,) solves this problem nicely for simple searches. However the search bar doesn't seem to handle all the function available in the search and replace popup, especial replace.

I tried to dock the full search and replace popup to keep it out of the way, but couldn't find it in Global Options > Docking. I'm running jEdit 4.3.2 on Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 10.04. I don't see the docking button on any of the popup screens, including the file system viewer which is dockable. Perhaps the lack of docking button on Ubuntu is a Gnome windowing issue? Maybe there is already an option to scroll lines with results out from behind the search and replace popup?

Is this is a bug, a new feature or am I just missing something?
get script Output in Jedit
Submitted by flebber on Friday, 15 October, 2010 - 01:15
Is there an option for Python or Ruby to get script output in Jedit. Similar to run module command in python IDLE or in Scite Go option.

[IMG]http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af10/Sayth_Renshaw/scite-2.png[/IMG]

[URL=http://s988.photobucket.com/albums/af10/Sayth_Renshaw/?action=view¤t=scite-2.png][IMG]http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af10/Sayth_Renshaw/th_scite-2.png[/IMG][/URL]
Font Alteration
Submitted by deerb on Saturday, 9 October, 2010 - 08:33
How do you change the font displayed by the jedit editor? I have always used Frankin Gothic Medium Condensed as it is an easy font to read and does not take up too much space

Is ther any way of altering the font used for displaying code in the editor, either directly or acessing a configuration file?

deerb
How to open new file in the same window?
Submitted by ramgovx on Friday, 8 October, 2010 - 17:19
What do I need to configure, for files opened from Nautilus by double click on the same window that is already open?

I just want a single open window.
Ugly font rendering on Linux
Submitted by pablox on Tuesday, 5 October, 2010 - 19:30
Hi, I'm getting a really ugly font rendering, as you can see in the following links:

http://imgur.com/vLyG7.png
http://imgur.com/S1hJq.png

I had a similar problem with netbeans but after adding some extra commands to netbeans.conf[1], it solved the problem.

I'm using Arch Linux x86-64 and OpenJDK

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=701440
RecentBufferSwitcher With SuperAbbrevs
Submitted by freeborough on Wednesday, 29 September, 2010 - 12:34
Hi, I've been using the RecentBufferSwitcher plugin for some time and have it bound to Ctrl + Tab. I've recently discovered the SuperAbbrevs plugin and want to use it alongside RBS, however it seems that with RBS enabled Tab doesn't trigger SuperAbbrevs.

Is there an alternative to RBS (that can work in exactly the same way) that doesn't hog the key it's assigned to?

Could RBS be modified to allow it to work with SuperAbbrevs? What would I need to make it do that it's not doing at the moment?

Failing that, I was thinking of configuring / modifying SuperAbbrevs to use the Space key instead of Tab for its trigger - much like the normal built-in abbreviations which I've got used to.

Are any of these work-arounds available already?

Thanks in advance,

- Andy.
Any autocompletion plugin for common java words...
Submitted by tonimenen on Friday, 17 September, 2010 - 22:31
Hello,

I am trying to make jedit as my personal Java editor, and I have found one interesting thing in Eclipse that I am not able to see in Jedit... Is there any way to create autocompletion for common reserved java words as class,private,public, ....

Thanks,
Dual diff on two screens / displays / views
Submitted by weberjn on Thursday, 9 September, 2010 - 09:17
Hi,

dual diff splits the current view, but if you have to physical displays it would be better to use both.
It would be nice, if you could use two views, so you'd compare a buffer in one view on one display with a second view on the second display.
Or is that already possible and I did not find it? I could open a second view and move it to the second display, but diff would still use only one view.

Juergen
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349