jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Exporting data from the outline (sidekick) plugin
Submitted by till.hoffmann on Monday, 23 August, 2010 - 09:34
Hey,

I have used the outline plugin to create a structured documentation of some code. Is it possible to export this information for documentation purposes?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Till
Is JEdit dying?
Submitted by volnei on Monday, 23 August, 2010 - 01:15
No updates for a long period
No new plugins
No recent activity
No source repository...

Is JEdit dying?
Hex - Convert to binary
Submitted by weberjn on Thursday, 12 August, 2010 - 11:45
Hi, anybody knows a plugin, that allows to save a hexdump as binary file? e.g. if you have a hex dump in an editor like 43 4F 52 42 41 2F 55 4E 4B 4E 4F 57 4E 3A 31 2E | CORBA/UNKNOWN:1. one would select the hex part with a rectangular selection, then -save hex selection to file. The file would then contain the binary values. If there is no such plugin, where and how would one start to implement this? Thanks, Juergen
Project view
Submitted by rahul_yanina on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 10:37
Is it possible to have projects (the actual project file could be on the local machine) where the files added to it are on remote files? Right now, with the FTP plugin, it allows me to add files from remote locations to a project, but does not save the information. So when I restart Jedit, the remote files no longer show up against the project. However, the files on the local machine added to the project shows up after the restart.

Ami I doing something wrong, or is this a limitation currently? Are there any plans for having this feature, as I think it is quite a useful one to have.
Cannot add or edit filter strings in File Browser
Submitted by tonyrich on Tuesday, 27 July, 2010 - 06:20
I have just installed jEdit on Mac OS X 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard),
flawlessly.

All the settings I like are now made and saved and restored OK.

A lot of keystrokes have been re-customized, but it all works.

I always filter groups of files to avoid opening the wrong
type of file.

So when I go to enter a new group of filter characters into
the File Browser (using Ctrl+O), I cannot enter any character,
not can I change an existing filter group that I managed to add
before (but don't know how).

A typical group of filters is:

{*.py,*.c,*.h}

...and I like to extend the group now and again.

There is NO problem in entering characters of any kind within
the editor itself - only into the "Filter" edit box in the
File Browser.

I have reset the machine in case this was a serious Java
problem, but no use.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Text selection - highlight only selected text
Submitted by alexwebb2 on Thursday, 22 July, 2010 - 22:30
When selecting across multiple lines, jEdit has the curious behavior of highlighting the entire region from left to right - well past the last character - instead of highlighting just the selected text. I would like the selection highlights to be a visual indicator of what is actually selected (including any whitespace at the end of the line). Is there any way to alter this behavior? I'm willing to write a plugin to take care of this if there's a way to override selection paint methods in the API (I looked, and couldn't find anything).

Any input would be appreciated.
Title Case
Submitted by Llelan D. on Saturday, 17 July, 2010 - 13:48
I see menu entries and shortcut commands for "To Lower Case" and "To Upper Case", but where is the command for "To Title Case"?

Title Case - Each word is all lower-case except for the first letter which is upper-case.
java highlighting modes
Submitted by mamboze on Wednesday, 14 July, 2010 - 04:54
Hi,
I'm setting jedit up for java. I understand there are java highlighting modes available. If there are, where could I find them

thnx
Beauty plugin issues
Submitted by ITGuy on Monday, 12 July, 2010 - 07:27
Hello

Really like jedit and the plugins that are provided. Many thanks to all the hard working developers who have contributed to this great program.

In teaching myself some Java I am using the Beauty plugin attached to a keyboard short (Ctrl-Shirt-F11). Using Beauty version 0.5.0 with Java mode.

The plugin in has two/ three little issues:
1. If have multiple classes in the same file (yes I know I shouldn't but the examples I am using do so) when I "Beauty" it I loose the lower classes. The workaround I have found is to change the bracketing to give my one class with sub-classes and then re-insert the brackets.
2. If I have a line that says "class MyClass extend Thread {" this becomes classMyClassextendThread{ if I have more than one class in the file as per 1 above. Does not affect sub-classes if I have removed
3. There is some weird thing where if I re-Beauty already formatted code I get additional blank lines between code which I can only delete via hand (regex search and replace not working). This is intermittent but then re-Beauty again and again keeps adding blank lines.

I have a brief look through the source code for Beauty but beyond my abilities to find or resolve. Ideas on what to do

Cheers

ITGuy
ScalaMiniIDE plugin with scalatest
Submitted by matuszek on Friday, 9 July, 2010 - 00:27
Hi,

I'm using a nonstandard plugin, scalaMiniIDE, from

http://wiki.liftweb.net/index.php/SetUp_jEdit

which I really like, because it's a lot more stable than any of the
plugins for Eclipse, NetBeans, or IntelliJ. However, when starting
jEdit, I always get

/Applications/jEdit.app/Contents/Resources/Java/jars/MvnPlugin.jar:
Cannot start: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Already connected
Try updating to a newer version of the plugin.

I apparently need Maven2 to use scalatest. I don't know Maven at all,
but I can probably follow the instructions on the above page, if I can
somehow remove the above plugin (not as easy as it sounds) and add a
good Maven2 plugin.

Can anyone help me with this? Has anyone successfully used scalatest
with jEdit?

Thanks,
Dave Matuszek
matuszek@cis.upenn.edu
Whitespace marking...dots
Submitted by imgod2u on Monday, 14 June, 2010 - 02:30
So this must be new to 4.3.2 or around there. But I've noticed that all of my whitespaces (on OSX) are being marked with a small dot. While I'm sure this is quite helpful, I find it distracting. How do I turn this off?
filename.extension + ~ files
Submitted by ColaColin on Monday, 7 June, 2010 - 01:45
Why is jEdit creating additional files with a leading ~ ?
For example if I edit a main.bsh it will create a main.bsh~ next to the main.bsh.

Is there a way to stop jEdit from doing this ?
I want to edit files in a dir, which will get zipped and stored and i dont need additional files in it.
jEdit Console Commandos for Tcl/Tk
Submitted by Gary Gabriel on Saturday, 29 May, 2010 - 10:38
Hi,

jEdit Console commandos do not currently include Tcl/Tk. I was not
successful in finding any in the archives or references.
- Does anyone have the commandos to bind the Tclsh and Wish interpreters
into the Console and could provide them?

Thanks for your efforts and time- Gary Gabriel
How do you clear the console screen by using keys?
Submitted by 357mag on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 01:09
Is there a way you can clear the contents of the console window by using keys? Like in the Windows command prompt you hit cls and the entire screen clears. If you hit cls in jEdit you will see the message that it exited with code 0 so it appears nothing went wrong but the screen does not clear. It's still full of junk.

And then tried assigning a few shortcut keys to the clear console command in the shortcuts menu but they don't work either. First I assigned cls to the clear console command and it did not clear the console. Then I assigned c to the same command and that didn't clear the window either.

Confused.
Next line and beginning of the next line
Submitted by kkerst on Monday, 17 May, 2010 - 18:12
I have a basic question: When using the arrow keys to move the caret/cursor to the next line, the position stays where it's at opposed to moving to the beginning of the next line. How do I configure Jedit such that the cursor returns to the beginning of the line each time I use the arrow keys to move to next line?

Thanks!

kkerst
Simple Question from a Simple Mind
Submitted by stevelw on Monday, 17 May, 2010 - 09:45
I have two questions that have me battering my head against the wall ...

1. How do I configure Jedit so that the find box is empty when creating/opening a document. At the moment every time I start the progam the find box is filled with an old search criteria that I no longer need.

2. How do I arrange for the app to open at a particular location and with a specific sized window?

Thanks
A few questions
Submitted by 357mag on Monday, 17 May, 2010 - 08:39
I'm experimenting with jEdit and I downloaded the console plug-in so I don't have to open a command window. I can successfully compile and run my programs from the menu options on top but I also tried typing in the commands at the prompt but they fail.

To compile my program I've been typing: javac Experiment.java

To run my program I've been typing: java Experiment

But Jedit complains and has an exit code of 2

What's the deal?
Adding a shortcut to "Execute script" command of the superscript plugin.
Submitted by sinarf on Saturday, 15 May, 2010 - 14:42
I'd love to use jEdit for all my scripting work.

I installed the superscript plugin as explain here: http://groovy.codehaus.org/JEdit+Plugin
It's working fine but I couldn't find a way to add a keyboard shortcut to the "Execute script" button, and there is nothing available from the global options / shortcuts list or even in the plugin configuration.
Adding a shortcut to a command in jEdit is so basic stuff that I cannot believe it has not been done yet.

Before I try to dive into hacking the plugin to give access to the command from menus or shortcut, I thought I ask you guys if I didn't miss something?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Shift-Scroll Wheel scrolls horizontally?
Submitted by smeet on Tuesday, 27 April, 2010 - 19:28
This worked for me in previous versions (4.1 I believe).
From the docs (http://www.jedit.org/users-guide/scrolling.html):
> If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, you can use the wheel to scroll up and down in the text area.
> Various modifier keys change the action of the wheel:
> Shift - scrolls an entire page at a time.

Other modifier keys work with the scroll wheel as documented, it's just the Shift that is different.
This doesn't work for me in 4.3, instead it scrolls horizontally. Is there a way to get back the page scrolling behavior?

Thanks!
list of macros, bracket matching, smart tabs
Submitted by ludolf on Sunday, 25 April, 2010 - 22:22
Where can I found possible commands for writing macros? Some I can find if I save a keyboard macro but they are not all (some others are in examples at the documentation).

Is it possible to have bracket matching - if I write e.g. "(" then ")" is added such that the caret is before it?

Is it possible to have a smart tab - jumping to columns of starts of words at the line above?

Thanks for any ideas, ludolf
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349