jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
change buffer order
Submitted by nowad3 on Sunday, 24 September, 2006 - 13:18
Hi! I have installed the plugin BufferTabs. Is there generally a posibility, when there are several files open, to change the order of this buffer tabs?

greets nowad
C/C++ tags
Submitted by shlomy on Sunday, 17 September, 2006 - 13:20
Hi,
There are several features I would like to have in jEdit, related to C/C++ tags. Please let me know if there is any work being done on these features (or any plans to implement them). I consider implementing these features myself, either by contributing to existing plugins or by writing new ones. Here are the features:
1. GUI for the creation of tag files (e.g. a dialog interface for 'ctags'). I'd like to see that as part of the Tags plugin.
2. Automatic update of tag files as buffers are being modified. The CodeBrowser plugin provides a similar functionality, but it only works on the current buffer. I'd like to see this functionality in the Tags plugin.
3. Provide different options to 'ctags' when parsing H files and when parsing C/C++ files. From what I saw, 'ctags' by default collects only function/method definitions, but if you run it with "--c-types=p" it will collect function/method prototypes instead. Usually, I'd like the tag files to contain both the prototypes and the definitions, so 'ctags' should be invoked with different options on these types of files. This request applies both to the CodeBrowser (which, in my project, shows only a small subset of the prototypes in my H files) and to the Tags plugin if requests 1&2 above will be implemented. BTW - there is also an option in 'ctags' to collect local variables.
4. 'ctags' provides only prototypes/definitions. When writing s/w, one usually also needs to see all the references to some identifier. The GNU 'global' tool uses 'gtags' and collects both definitions and references. I'd like to have support for the 'global' tool as well, either as part of 'Tags' or another plugin.

My email is: sreinst1@walla.co.il.

Thanks,
Shlomy
automatic encoding detection in HTML/XHTML
Submitted by priitoorn on Tuesday, 8 August, 2006 - 14:18
The encoding autodetection should try to get the HTML or XHTML file's encoding from "Content-type" meta tag:

{meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1257"}
{meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"}
{meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"}

and of course you should replace the { } with html tag brackets.
and btw. get rid of this bullshit "terminated request because of suspicious input data" error in this forum ...
automatic UTF-8 detection
Submitted by mh147 on Tuesday, 8 August, 2006 - 09:14
At several places, the devolopers state that one cannot auto-detect UTF-8 files.

That is not true. Other editors can do that reliably. Even Windows Notepad.

Here is what I think they are doing internally:
1. open the file byte-oriented
2. look if there are special UTF chars in the file (e.g. Ã)
if not: display the this way (byte-wise)
if so:
3. re-open (or scan) the file as UTF-8, looking if it loads error-free
(for instance all Ãx character pairs are valid UTF chars)
if so: display the file as UTF-8
if not:
4. re-open the file byte-oriented and display it this way

Of course, there is a chance, somebody would combine weird chars in a way it would accidently look like a valid UTF-8 file. But compare how often such a file would occur and be mis-detected by the proposed algorithm to the the amount of genuine UTF-8 files that get opened in jEdit and are mis-detected by the current auto-detection. This is a dozen against some million.

Looking at entries in this forum, I think this feature is more than due in order for jEdit to keep up-to-date and to continue gaining new users.
Plugin to change encoding easily
Submitted by raspi on Thursday, 27 July, 2006 - 11:35
Hi,

I'd like to see plugin that allows to change encoding quickly. Like ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8, ISO-8859-15 to UTF-8, ISO-8859-1 to HTML, etc.. I'm tired of doing search & replaces n+1 times.
Extended Plugin Manager
Submitted by Baldurien on Sunday, 23 July, 2006 - 16:48
Hi,

That would be cool for the plugin manager to :

1. select only plugin available for the current version of jEdit
2. disable all plugin that can't work for the current version of jEdit

I remember the customisable fold handler that didn't work from 4.2 to 4.3...

Also, if we could have an update manager ala Firefox Bon Echo (2.0), that would be the best Eye-wink

(Anyway, I don't know if it's the first thing I would do if I were developping for jEdit)

Thank you
Long Time EditPlus user feedback
Submitted by Giesen on Monday, 17 July, 2006 - 05:48
As a long time programmer, a high quality text editor is crucial to what I do. I use heaver IDE's (Visual Studio, Eclipse, NetBeans) for a lot of my work, but for various SQL, scripting languages, and file searching, and text file processing, I use a separate dedicated text editor. I've been a long time user of EditPlus and am just now switching over to jEdit.

Overall, I'm very impressed with jEdit. I thought it would be unlikely to beat EditPlus and this did it. However, I'd like to share my thoughts and suggestions.

Pros:
- Cross Platform: Huge advantage. EditPlus is Windows only. jEdit runs on all Java platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris) so I can easily move between platforms.
- Free: I don't mind sending in a donation for a program I use so much, but it's so nice to not need to worry about licensing every copy I install
- Better Plug-in/Scripting/Macro support. By far. Excellent thus far.
- Awesome syntax highlighting for several languages (Java + SQL)

Cons:
- HyperSearch: I like EditPlus's setup much better. I wish the HyperSearch could be displayed in a pane in the main jEdit window rather than in a separate window. I also wish it displayed results as it found them rather than making you wait until the entire search is complete before showing you anything.
- Search/Replace: Regex support is buggy (didn't have time to boil down to simple cast and post, but I saw definite bugs). No multi-line Regex option. How do I replace \n\n with \n (eliminate blank lines)?
- No built-in sort/dedupe. Didn't see a plugin either. Maybe I missed this? This is crucial for a text editor.
- No "column selection". Did I miss this? Very important feature.
- No ability to set "type" of unsaved buffer. Sometimes I typing SQL into a buffer that I don't want to save, but I want syntax highlighting.
- No keyboard shortcut to enable/disable soft word-wrap. I frequently need to turn this on/off. I hate having to navigate the menus to do this.
- Name. I love Java, but this is product really excels as a general purpose text editor rather than a Java specific tool. Couldn't this use a less Java-centric name? Most .NET coworkers would love this tool but be turned off by the name.
Default encoding per mode
Submitted by asteiger on Wednesday, 12 July, 2006 - 19:51
Older versions of jedit had this functionality. You could set the default encoding for different modes, but it was changed to a global setting.
Check for Plugin Updates
Submitted by icon on Friday, 7 July, 2006 - 16:15
A feature that I would find useful, is a global option that will launch a search for plugin updates at startup and displays the plugin manager or a dialog box if any exist. The same functionality could be used for jEdit program versions as well. The key would be that it is a user set option, so it can be enable/disabled at will.

Adding this option would prevent spending time checking for updates periodically or having to set up an rss feed.

//i\\
Autocomplete Plugins
Submitted by jotamachuca on Friday, 7 July, 2006 - 01:23
Hi

I have a problem. ..

I don't find the plugins for autocomplete ... i search into plugins available, but i don't find....

What plugins to use????

Thanks

PD: I don't speak english, sorry :$
Default settings on a clean install
Submitted by brackeen on Thursday, 6 July, 2006 - 23:33
I've been trying out jEdit 4.3pre5, and I'm really glad to see it progressing. Everyone is doing a great job.

I think there are a couple things that could make it easier for new jEdit users. Here are some ideas for jEdit default settings on a clean install.

1) Before downloading plugins, allow the user to choose a download mirror. "Plugin central defualt" gives error messages.

2) Use the system defaults whenever possible (Use the System L&F instead of the Cross Platform L&F, and on Java 6, use the platform's setting for font anti-aliasing.)

3) Show plugin dockables after installing a new plugin. (Only one dockable each - i.e., don't show two Structure Browsers for both xml and html.) This gives the user feedback as to what they just installed, and it is easier to hide a visible plugin rather than show a hidden one.
put "Search And Replace" window in HyperSearch panel
Submitted by dfabrizio11 on Thursday, 6 July, 2006 - 12:27
Hi All,

It would be nice if the "Search And Replace" window was part of the HyperSeach Results panel. I currently dock the HyperSearch Window on the bottom and then move the "Search And Replace" window so it doesn't obstruct the text view.

I have often thought it would be nice if the "Search And Replace" window was on the left
side of the "HyperSearch" window.

I know about the XSearch plugin and have read it can be docked but I would really like the standard "Search And Replace" window to share the bottom window space with the "HyperSearch" window.

Can this be added as a new feature?

Thanks,
Dan Fabrizio
Mouse right-click behavior
Submitted by mabra on Wednesday, 5 July, 2006 - 22:22
Hi All !

Right-clicking with the mouse into the buffer unexpectedly - so far for me - also moves the caret/the current line to this position. I personally think, right-clicking the mouse should only open the context menu, nothing else.

For example, if your caret is at the end of the buffer and you scoll up to see some text to decide what do next and then open the context menu [that mentioned right click!] to insert some text etc., this would unexpectedly happen at that clicked textline, not - as I was expecting - at the end of the buffer.

What are the usual expectations here and by other users? My macros do not work very well in this scenario. It looks more as unripe behavior than planned, or I am wrong here?

Note:If there is text selected, it works well and the cursor/caret/current line stays exactly were the selection is.

Thanks a lot,
Manfred
XInsert:Respecting CDATA in CDATA and more global references
Submitted by mabra on Wednesday, 5 July, 2006 - 14:35
Hi All, I am new to JEdit and after discovering XInsert, it becomes my most importent module!!!

With other libraries, I was not that successful [like "Clipper" and "Templates"]. Although, IMO, some enhancements would be very welcome.

First, I try to manage my VBScript library with it, but my most scripts are based on the xml-format [usual extension is ".wsf"]. Inside this scripts/snippets, I have always to include CDATA sections to surround the code-blocks, but this is not possible in XInsert using "xinsert_script" item-types:

<item name="Feature.Request" type="xinsert_script"><![CDATA[ ?XML version="1.0"?> <package> <job> <![CDATA[ -- This is the "inner" CDATA section required for VBScript 'My script body here Option Explicit Dim someObject ]]> -- end "inner" CDATA </job> </package> ]]> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole library is no longer usable after this, not only the current file! All libraries below the current module are no longer displayed. I am not sure, if this is a bug, I'll just request for respecting CDATA in CDATA sections, which works well in my other xml's.

My workaround was to use "CDATA.BEGIN" and "CDATA.END" inside my snippets and replace them by macros. Even this is not easy:

String search = "CDATA.BEGIN";
String repl = "<![CDATA["; The last line is not possible at all and I have to recode it like:
cdataBeginReplace.append((char) 0x3C).append("!").append("[").append("CDATA").append("]");
..... Sad

It might be, this is simply JEdit's xml interpretion itself?

Additionally, a "global reference" to the current XInsert file would be very useful;All my modules contain currently a "Edit this lib" entry-macro, which has to be hardcoded.

Further, another tag like "macro" would be a good idea, just to put library common code into the module. Currently, I put all this things in my startup as global code.

This should not be considered as a complaint Eye-wink , just a wish for some useful enhancements!

Thanks a lot!
Manfred

Note:This was not easy to write!!! Luckily, I discovered, that one may use the "xmp" tag inside the post [just to help others with this note]
Saving to locked files
Submitted by mekondelta on Wednesday, 28 June, 2006 - 10:19
I'v been using EditPad Pro for a while now on Windows and love it's ability to write to a file that has been locked by another program.

For example, I can view a log file from my application server (as I can in JEdit now) but I can also clear the file's contents, save and overwrite the log file so that I can have logs that just show the content that I want to see.

Is there anyway to incorporate this into JEdit. It's the killer feature of EditPad (even the Classic version) and is the only thing stopping me from switching to JEdit. (Other than the "Stay on Top" feature which I can replicate with DesktopPins.

Cheers, Chris.
C debugger
Submitted by chobo2 on Monday, 26 June, 2006 - 04:21
Is there a C debugger in jedit? if not I would like to see one.
Colour set per syntax mode
Submitted by Baldurien on Tuesday, 20 June, 2006 - 15:25
Hi,

I'd like to know if it is possible to have one color set per syntax mode, instead of one color set for each syntax mode.

Since such thing exists for buffer options, I don't see why it's not in jEdit.

Honestly,
Baldurien
"Explore from here" functionality
Submitted by bohboh on Friday, 16 June, 2006 - 09:25
Like in dreamweaver 8, can we have (or is it already possible) a shortcut key / button which will open up the directory in which the file that you are currently editing resides in the platforms file explorer, e.g. nautilus, windows explorer etc and can the file explorer be configurable.
Clicking line numbers to select the line.
Submitted by thinsoldier on Friday, 16 June, 2006 - 01:56
thats it.
just clicking line numbers to select the line.
Line spacing
Submitted by gp on Saturday, 10 June, 2006 - 19:21
I have been using jEdit for years now, and the single most serious and enduring frustration I have had with it is line spacing. I find it very difficult to read text or code in any font other than Courier New. Could the development team please consider adding an option for controlling the amount of space between text lines?
User login
Browse archives
« March 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338