jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Case INsensitive autocomplete
Submitted by rwprogrammer on Friday, 23 September, 2005 - 15:38
Is there any option to make the autocomplete feature in jEdit ignore case?

I.e., right now if I have the word "Something" in the buffer, and I type "some" and try to use autocomplete, it will not list "Something" as an option because I began the word with lower case. However, I WOULD like it to list "Something" in this case.

It should be a mode-dependent setting as to whether or not the autocomplete feature is case sensitive.
Mode Syntax Options - Positional Modes
Submitted by DStaal on Friday, 23 September, 2005 - 14:48
I do a lot of work with EDI at work, and I've been trying to write a mode for it, but I keep running up against JEdit's mode syntax. It just doesn't support what I need.

EDI is a positional syntax, with fields being of fixed or semi-variable length, seperated by a delimiter. The delimiter itself is variable: While there are supposed to be specific choices, in reality any punctuation character has probably been used. To complicate things more, EDI has the concept of 'segments', which are often seperated by line breaks, but not always. (There again, any punctuation character should probably be considered valid, though in both cases it will stay constant within a file.)

So, ideally, I'd like to match the first few characters to a sequence, then use the next character as a delimiter (whatever character that is), then divide the rest of the file into fields by that character. A known number of fields from the start I can find the segment delimiter, which I would like to use as a line-ending. (In the cases where it isn't, there is usually no other line ends in the file.) Also, I'd like to be able to highlight as tokens certain fields, counting from line/segment-ends.

Problem is, there is no good way to do this in mode-syntax. I can highlight the delimiters, by entering a list of the common ones, but any attempt to highlight what is *within* them meets with problems. The most common problem is that the delimiters can only be part of *one* match. So, for instance, a 'span' rule will only match every other field.

Some of the 'interesting' fields of EDI have specific values, which I can then sequence-match, but many do not.

So, some specific suggestions:
- A delimiter-count match. Choose a delimiter, and match specific sequences divided by that delimiter. (And, possibly, end-of-lines). The delimiter itself is not part of the sequence matched, or at least can be applied a seperate token.
- An extension of the 'Terminate' rule, allowing termination at a specific character (or even regrex) instead of at a specific position. Again, the option to 'eat' the matched character or not.
- A property/rule to allow/force wrapping on specified non-whitespace characters.
- The ablity to _disallow_ wrapping on whitespace characters.

These may not be the best way to approach the problems, but they are rules that I can think of that would help. EDI itself does not have the concept of escape characters, but I can imagine that would be a useful addition to a delimiter rule.
Jump to previous selection position
Submitted by rwprogrammer on Tuesday, 20 September, 2005 - 01:13
I would like the editor to remember the last (e.g. 10) places where your cursor has been. Then you could just use a keyboard shortcut to cycle through the most recent cursor locations.

E.g.: You are editing code in one area and you need to know the function definition for functionX, so you search for it and possibly edit it, and then you want to simply hop back to the previous character location...or maybe to the place you were editing even before that.

(If you are familiar with the Visual Studio VB 6.0 or .NET IDEs then you might know what I am talking about. They implimented this very nicely. It is CS+F2 in vb6 and C+'-' in .net)

If this is already implimented, just let me know. I may have missed it.
Thanks
Dynamic variable highlighting
Submitted by mkaatman on Monday, 19 September, 2005 - 22:03
Has anyone seen the way eclipse does dynamic variable highlighting within java projects?

This is a really cool feature and I would love to use it on javascript and php through jedit.

When you click on a variable name, it highlights every instance of that variable within a script. To date, there are no php editors with this feature that I am aware of.
-reuseview should be default behavior
Submitted by kjkrum on Monday, 12 September, 2005 - 03:48
I think that -reuseview is probably the intended behavior almost all the time. If that's true, then it should be the default behavior. You shouldn't have to add it to all your shell aliases, application launchers, file associations, etc...
XML plugin support for Zope Page Templates
Submitted by robbo on Friday, 9 September, 2005 - 20:52
Since jEdit comes with an edit mode for Zope Page Templates (zpt), I think it would be natural for the XML plugin to support such files - such as automatic closing tags, block level outline, etc. I've done this by extracting XML.props from the plugin, adding the line mode.zpt.sidekick.parser=html, then updating the jar file. This doesn't do validation, but treats the zpt file like an html one, without having to change my edit mode to html. Could this line be included in future versions of the plugin?
jEdit and Mac OS X integration
Submitted by Derentis on Friday, 9 September, 2005 - 19:40
A really nice feature for jEdit would be to have the menu at the same place where other apps do have their menu in OS X : in the Finder bar !

I notice that jEdit 4.1 did function like this but not jEdit 4.2 ... Why ? this feature is almost essential for us, Mac users ! Even NeoOffice/J has its menu in the Finder bar, like every other app !

Or have I missed sommething ?
German Language Update...
Submitted by benders on Tuesday, 23 August, 2005 - 13:05
Hi,

i use jEdit now since any weeks and i´m happy to found this program. give it a chance for a standard german interface plugin, that we can change the language? i think that i not only one, they want this.

thanks
Benders
DotComplete
Submitted by Cicero Ribeiro on Tuesday, 16 August, 2005 - 19:58
hi friends,
Great jEdit----> it´s the best.
But I think that´s really needed a DotCompelte (parser) to ansi C / C++.
Thanks.
New Line Ignorer
Submitted by sdexp on Friday, 12 August, 2005 - 03:28
jEdit is great with handling the newline (/n, /r, or /n/r) arguments. However, it needs to be able to ignore them to with find and replace given an option is checked. This option should be located under the HyperSearch checkmark.

I love jEdit. Thanks.
Retain selection
Submitted by bmiller on Monday, 8 August, 2005 - 13:41
It would be *very* handy if selections were retained after undo. In other words, if one were to select a block of text, cut/delete it, and then hit undo, the text would (obviously) be returned, and the selection of said text would also return, giving you a better idea of exactly what you had undone.
dockable Search window
Submitted by cajetanus on Saturday, 30 July, 2005 - 12:42
I couldn't find this in any of the plugins.

Would it be possible to have the search dialog as a dockable item? For instance, it would be nice to have it on the right side, maybe with the hypersearch results beneath like in the file browser.

The current search dialog is a pain to use. It hides my text, doesn't disappear and is just plain annoying like all dialog boxes are. I like jEdit because almost everything can be put on the docks, and are instantly available when I want them. This search dialog seems to be the only exception. I know that there exists the search tool bar (which I now use almost exclusively, as I repeat, I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS STUPID SEARCH DIALOG - wow, glad to get that off my chest). However from this tool bar you cannot search directories. What do I need to do to have this option?

Also, it would be nicer if the multiple file search was a little faster. It seems to take forever on a regular expression...

Thanks for listening.
Flash Plugin
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 29 July, 2005 - 10:11
Give it a web based jEdit Version, where i can programm imploded flash or shockwave features use? i will change the structure of my website (Telefonkonferenz to write it complett in jEdit.
ClearType on Windows
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 10 July, 2005 - 18:47
ClearType antialiasing available on Windows is a lot better than jEdit's font smoothing. I have noticed that Eclipse, which I believe to be written in Java as well, and which I run on the same JVM, uses Windows' font smoothing. It would be great if jEdit allowed for this option.
REQUEST - General CODE completion via TAGS and editmode xml data
Submitted by wrongway on Friday, 13 May, 2005 - 11:12
Greetings you wonderful jedit coders and hackers. I write today with a feature request ... General CODE completion via TAGS and editmode xml data...

I see many people asking for code completion for various langs, and I feel a simple implementation via the TAGS file, and modes.xml data, can work for a whole slew of langs.

Basically have a shortcut (ie ctrl+space) that would grab the previous word, and check for matches in the tags and the editmode xml data, showing a popup with the list of matching keywords for completion.

It seems like it would be a fairly easy plugin for an experienced jedit hacker.

Thanks in advance..

WrongWay
Glob should have an "AND" operation
Submitted by Bradlis7 on Saturday, 7 May, 2005 - 03:55
I was just messing around with glob, and there's no way to have an AND search. For example, if I do "{*.*, !{*.jpg, *.gif}}" it returns everything, even jpg and gif files. This example is kind of pointless, because you can do it without *.*, but I would like to see a way to do this. Another example, if I wanted to filter files that had "ca" in it but not image files, I don't think it's possible. "{*ca*.*, !{*.jpg, *.gif}}" would not exclude images. Maybe it could be "{*ca*.* + !{*.jpg, *.gif}}" or just use "AND".

If no one else thinks so, it doesn't really matter to me. It's just my 2 cents.
Extending the UNDO function
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 6 May, 2005 - 22:59
Whenever I'm typing a line of text, and I realize that I made a typo, I'm used to hitting and/or holding CTRL-Z to undo the letters I've just typed until I get to my error. But when I hit CTRL-Z, it un-does the entire line. Some might say to just use the backspace, because that's what it's there for. So then I press/hold the backspace and sometimes I end up erasing too many chars. So I press CTRL-Z again, and it'll rewrite all the text I just erased. I guess the solution to that is, don't mess up. But if I could do that, I wouldn't need an undo function.

Anyway, is it possible to add an option that simplifies the undo function to undo the last basic action/keystroke?
Extending the UNDO function
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 6 May, 2005 - 22:59
Whenever I'm typing a line of text, and I realize that I made a typo, I'm used to hitting and/or holding CTRL-Z to undo the letters I've just typed until I get to my error. But when I hit CTRL-Z, it un-does the entire line. Some might say to just use the backspace, because that's what it's there for. So then I press/hold the backspace and sometimes I end up erasing too many chars. So I press CTRL-Z again, and it'll rewrite all the text I just erased. I guess the solution to that is, don't mess up. But if I could do that, I wouldn't need an undo function.

Anyway, is it possible to add an option that simplifies the undo function to undo the last basic action/keystroke?
Getting off the docking strip
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 6 May, 2005 - 19:51
Please, would it be possible to switch off the docking strip? I don't want to see it (the panel) anymore. For better explanation, see http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/2273
auto tab behavior
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 2 May, 2005 - 14:02
I would like to be able to select the 'tabbing' behavior to match my coding style. The only behavior I see now is to force my next line to start to the right of where ever I am typing. What I would like is:

always@(test)
begin
newtabhere
newtabhere
end

and NOT

always@(test)
begin
newtabhere
newtabhere
end

Well the forum doesn't do my request justice - all of my spaces have been swallowed up.
Try editing my submission to see what I am talking about.

Anyway - my Windows based editor does the behavior I want but I am trying to use jedit in linux full time.
Please help!
Jon
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348