jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Minor FRE - closing empty unnamed buffers
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 21 October, 2004 - 16:16
This is a minor thing, and not too much of a hassel to deal with, but it seems to me that if a buffer, which is untitled and zero size is closed, you should not be prompted to save. This is indeed how it works if the untitled buffer was never modified, but not how it works if the said buffer has ever changed.

For example. Open up a new buffer. Add some text. Delete all text. Close buffer. Now you are prompted about save, even though buffer is empty and unnamed.

This comes up frequently for me because I often use jEdit to do text manipulations for other programs (such as a the nice search/replace using regexp), or for deleting columns of text for another app, running a regexp search, etc.
Turning off the gutter
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 20 October, 2004 - 11:45
I searched extensively for an option / a possibility to turnoff the gutter in buffers completely. But I did not find one. Since I do not use any of the functions the gutter offers I would rather see one more column of text (especially when multiple buffers are open).

cu,
dwoakee.
Hiding unnecessary scrollbars
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 20 October, 2004 - 11:42
I would like the scrollbars (especially the horizontal scrollbar) to (individually) disappear when the text actually fits horizontally or vertically into the buffer. This provides about one more column and line of text and is especially helpful when you have more than one buffer open. I always like to see as much text as possible without having to scroll.

cu,
dwoakee.
resin
Submitted by troublesome on Tuesday, 19 October, 2004 - 18:04
i'd like to request a plugin for resin/j2ee development. if there is one already, could somebody tell me what it's called? thanks
What's next?
Submitted by pcause on Tuesday, 19 October, 2004 - 12:38
Glad to see the release and love it, as always. Any thoughts on what is next, timing, etc?
Block copy/paste request
Submitted by Hans_Bauer on Saturday, 16 October, 2004 - 17:41
Dear JEdit team,

working a lot with JEdit using block copy and paste i miss a very useful feature, some other editors offer. So at the moment it's hard for me to change to JEdit completely even though i wish to do this.

With JEdit we need to select a block using the ctrl-key, count the number of the selected lines in the block, select the same number of lines in the target area and insert the block (ctrl-v). This is very hard for large blocks with many lines, expecially because the statusline does not show the number of the selected lines.

It would be very useful to be able to paste the selected block into the target area only by setting the cursor to the upper left corner of the target and pressing ctrl-v.

An example to show my problem:
Assume the block of 'X' should be copied between 'c' and 'd' (should be read with fixed font)

aaaaa bbbbbbbbb
aXXXa cccdddeee
aXXXa f
aXXXa ggghhhiii
aaaaa jjjjjjjjj

The intuitive way is to select the block of 'X', press ctrl-c, move the cursor between 'c' and 'd' and press crtl-v to get

aaaaa bbbbbbbbb
aXXXa cccXXXdddeee
aXXXa f XXX
aXXXa gggXXXhhhiii
aXXXa jjjjjjjjj

At the moment the above procedure leads to

aaaaa bbbbbbbbb
axxxa cccXXX
XXX
XXXdddeee
axxxa f
axxxa ggghhhiii
aaaaa jjjjjjjjj

I hope you agree with my request. Is there a possibility to implement this?

I appreciate your great work coding one of the best editors found in the net.
Thanks you all.

Yours
Hans Bauer
Block copy/paste request
Submitted by Hans_Bauer on Saturday, 16 October, 2004 - 17:40
Dear JEdit team,

working a lot with JEdit using block copy and paste i miss a very useful feature, some other editors offer. So at the moment it's hard for me to change to JEdit completely even though i wish to do this.

With JEdit we need to select a block using the ctrl-key, count the number of the selected lines in the block, select the same number of lines in the target area and insert the block (ctrl-v). This is very hard for large blocks with many lines, expecially because the statusline does not show the number of the selected lines.

It would be very useful to be able to paste the selected block into the target area only by setting the cursor to the upper left corner of the target and pressing ctrl-v.

An example to show my problem:
Assume the block of 'X' should be copied between 'c' and 'd' (should be read with fixed font)

aaaaa bbbbbbbbb
aXXXa cccdddeee
aXXXa f
aXXXa ggghhhiii
aaaaa jjjjjjjjj

The intuitive way is to select the block of 'X', press ctrl-c, move the cursor between 'c' and 'd' and press crtl-v to get

aaaaa bbbbbbbbb
aXXXa cccXXXdddeee
aXXXa f XXX
aXXXa gggXXXhhhiii
aXXXa jjjjjjjjj

At the moment the above procedure leads to

aaaaa bbbbbbbbb
axxxa cccXXX
XXX
XXXdddeee
axxxa f
axxxa ggghhhiii
aaaaa jjjjjjjjj

I hope you agree with my request. Is there a possibility to implement this?

I appreciate your great work coding one of the best editors found in the net.
Thanks you all.

Yours
Hans Bauer
third button paste under linux
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 12 October, 2004 - 16:09
I'm really disappointed, I'm just discovering this fantastic tool and the third button paste wont do anything !

(I mean by that when you select some text in a console for example and click the third button anywhere else: it pastes usually the selection.) Everywhere but not on jedit.

thanks
jobano@linux-fan.com
Allow multiple docked views for one plug in
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 5 October, 2004 - 21:49
As I understand, jEdit allows one Option Pane per plugin as evident in the dock position assignment screen.

It would be very cool to have multiple views for one plugin.

Example:
A CVS plugin could have these views
1. "CVS Repositories" - contains the list of repositories with checkout function
2. "CVS Resource History" - contains revision change details
3. "Synchronization" - list of files that are changed locally or remotely
Bookmarks and changed buffers
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 1 October, 2004 - 15:10
Hello everybody,

I love the bookmarks. They are perfect when working with long files. But the setting of a bookmark changes the status of the buffer to CHANGED. I thing it's a little bit confusing. Is it necessary? I hope it isn't.

Petr
search the variable definitions
Submitted by yyq on Monday, 27 September, 2004 - 06:17
I am a new user, is there a feature that can automatically list the header file which includes the highlighted variable's definition? This can make reading C programs easier.
SWT to use GTK widget on linux platform
Submitted by harobed on Saturday, 25 September, 2004 - 11:33
Hello,

I would like know your opinion about SWT.

JEdit will be more speedly if it use SWT. And more beautiful on Linux OS with GTK native look.
"Go to line" should set focus to the buffer's pane
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 24 September, 2004 - 21:25
The "go to line" feature should not only go to the specified line, but also set the focus to the buffer's pane.

The way it currently is, if your focus is in a different pane, it stays there. So, for example:

Say you compile something, with the output going to the Console plug-in's pane. You scroll through that pane (thus setting the focus to it), looking for reports of syntax errors. It says there's an error on line 37. You hit CTRL-L (i.e. "go to line"), and tell it to go to line 37. The buffer's pane now shifts so that line 37 is displayed. You start typing the correction for the syntax error.

Unfortunately, the focus is still on the Console plug-in's pane, not the buffer's pane. So instead of fixing your syntax error, you're doing random things in the Console plug-in.
"Windows" menu
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 24 September, 2004 - 20:58
There should be a "Windows" menu, or something like it, that allows you to easily switch to a particular buffer with a couple keystrokes.

I know that you can do the "CTRL-PAGEUP" kind of stuff, but you're reliant upon the (seemingly random) order in which the buffers are stored. With a "Windows" menu, each open buffer would be assigned a number, and if you want to get to, say, buffer 3, you do an "ALT-W 3". See Ultraedit for an example.

Incidentally, why are the buffers stored in a seemingly random order, rather than in the order in which they were opened? In particular, I'm using the BufferTabs plugin, which may or may not have something to do with this.
Delete key
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 24 September, 2004 - 19:51
When the file-choosing dialog box is open, you should be able to select a file (or files) and delete them using the "delete" key.

You can currently delete them by right-clicking and choosing the "delete" option, but the natural keyboard-driven equivalent is missing.
Hex mode
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 21 September, 2004 - 17:44
I know that there's a hex plugin. But it just doesn't cut it. All it seems to do is allow you to load a file so that its contents are displayed in hex.

You shouldn't have to load a file, as the plugin makes you do - you should be able to toggle the display of any buffer back and forth from normal mode to hex mode, with just a simple built-in menu option and/or hotkey.

You should be able to edit the file; the plugin doesn't seem to allow you to. You should be able to edit the file both via the left-side hex display and via the right-side ASCII display.
narrow to fold improvement
Submitted by VoY on Tuesday, 21 September, 2004 - 11:53
I really like jEdit's ability to narrow my view to certain level of indentation/folding. However I find this feature rather incomplete. When eg. designing a long form in HTML, you often have around 10 levels of indentation (imagine a table with few more tables in it [I know - tables for layout are evil :-)] and perhaps a javascript code in one of the table cells and you get the picture). This makes editing and navigating the code pretty difficult - especially if you use whitespace's plugin feature called "Remove trailing spaces". Every time you hit an empty line then, jEdit will jump to the begining of that line, leaving you with a whole screen of empty tabs and no code. You then have to grab your mouse and scroll the textarea using horizontal scrollbar. Now if the narrowing feature had an option to hide the leading tabs, it would improve the code readability dramatically.

I RTFM hard, but came to the conclusion, that this is currently not implemented in jEdit. In case I missed something, please tell me. Appart from this little detail, jEdit is really cool and I evangelise it among all my friends .-)
Java Console Plugin please support stdin
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 18 September, 2004 - 00:26
Mark Pages
Submitted by bstegman on Wednesday, 15 September, 2004 - 14:14
I've looked for this feature but haven't found it, but I would love it if I could mark pages as I'm working on updates for projects so I know what files I need to update on the live server. Would love to hear any suggestions too....
Using maven to build jEdit
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 9 September, 2004 - 07:13
Hi,

I think moving the build system over to maven will make a lot of difference.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349