jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Horizontal bar on the screen
Submitted by mauricebis on Friday, 25 June, 2010 - 10:29
Hi,

I'm using jEdit version 4.3.2 on Ubuntu lucid. It works pretty well but there's an issue which is a bit annoying: A horizontal bar or sometimes various horizontal bar appear at random in the textarea, these horizontal lines appear or disappear as I type along and insert or remove lines in a non predictable way. Any ideas? Thanks.

Log head:
22:23:31 [main] [message] Log: java.version=1.6.0_18
22:23:31 [main] [message] Log: java.vm.version=14.0-b16
22:23:31 [main] [message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.6.0_18-b18
22:23:31 [main] [message] Log: java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
22:23:31 [main] [message] Log: java.compiler=null
22:23:31 [main] [message] Log: os.name=Linux
22:23:31 [main] [message] Log: os.version=2.6.32-21-generic
22:23:31 [main] [message] Log: os.arch=i386
22:23:31 [main] [message] Log: user.home=/home/maurice
22:23:31 [main] [message] Log: java.home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre
22:23:31 [main] [message] Log: java.class.path=/usr/share/jEdit/jedit.jar
22:23:32 [main] [debug] MiscUtilities: Saving backup of file "/home/maurice/.jedit/activity.log" to "/home/maurice/.jedit/settings-backup/activity.log~1~"
22:23:32 [main] [notice] jEdit: jEdit version 4.3.2
encodings
Submitted by efthimis on Friday, 18 June, 2010 - 13:32
Hallo my friends i am a novice user of jedit and i want to ask you how can i use the x-MacGreek encoding to see some files that i have. I used it before but i have made an upgrade of java and then it dissapeared from the list of my Global Options where can i find it?
I have an old version jEdit 4.3pre12 using Java 1.6.0_20 but i had not any problem before this upgrade.
Thanks a lot...
Efthimis
Frequent crashes on OS X
Submitted by dfilip on Sunday, 13 June, 2010 - 20:33
I have just started using JEdit and love it ... when it works! However, using it under OS X frequently crashes.

I am justing Snow Leopard - 10.6.3 - and drag-n-drop files into the JEdit which usually launches JEdit with the file source. However, sometimes - more frequently after I've just logged in (?!) - it will launch, and then immediately crash, giving me the options to ignore / restart / report. Sometimes it will launch JEdit with an empty buffer (even though I've dragged-n-dropped a file), sometimes it will crash immediately, and sometimes it will launch with the correct file source. After a crash, I repeat the same drag-n -drop of the same file repeatedly, it will eventually work and not crash, but may take 2 or 3 or up to 4 or 5 times before it works, although I don't think I've ever had to do it more than 5 times. However, after I've launched it by draging-n-dropping a file into it, editing and saving files seems to work flawlessly.

If I manually launch JEdit with an empty buffer and then drag a file into it, it usually works, but again, sometimes will crash.

Important hint: because I am developing for a Java 1.5 server, the JVM that I am using is Java 1.5.0_19, from Snow Leopard. Therefore, I am NOT using the 1.6 JRE that Apple provides with Snow Leopard, but rather the JRE 1.5 that Apple provided with Leopard. Could this be causing my problems?

Is anyone else having similar problems under OS X? I think its a great editor when it works, which is actually most of the time, but find it frustrating when it crashes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.
jerky performance on 64bit win7
Submitted by Rambosmurf on Tuesday, 25 May, 2010 - 10:54
I see there are some other threads regarding this that pertain to slow draws of the textarea and/or windows such as the file browser, with a variety of hardware and os-configurations.

I'm having the same problem after reinstalling my computer with windows 7 64 bit, previously windows 7 32 bit. I did this as i god an 8gb ram upgrade and an ssd, but these hardware changes are imo unlikely to be the source of the problem. In that sense the hardware is essentially the same before and after reinstall.

The performance of jEdit 4.3.2 on the same pc under 32 bit was immaculate, while the performance under 64 bit is jerky. I can sense a slight lag as i type, selecting and scrolling through larger pieces of code is noticable more jerky, windows take a long time to render. I've tried reinstalling both jEdit and java, also googling for 64bit specific editions of java, but there doesnt seem to be any 64-bit specific java packages?

In any case, the java binary on my computer says 32-bit.

What i did notice however (just now) is that jEdit is running under something called server-background mode, as detailed by the about screen. I saw from a different thread (http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/4165#7870) that one user outlined a possible cause as java beeing run in server mode. Are these two related, and what exactly does this server mode in jEdit do?

If it helps, the hardware im running on is as follows:
Nvidia quadro fx 770 mobile
Core2duo cpu
Intel ICH9 family chipset
multiple untitled buffers
Submitted by mauricebis on Friday, 14 May, 2010 - 07:19
Hi,

I'm using Jedit 4.3.1 on the following platform:
5:28:44 PM [main] [message] Log: java.version=1.6.0_17
5:28:44 PM [main] [message] Log: java.vm.version=14.3-b01
5:28:44 PM [main] [message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.6.0_17-b04
5:28:44 PM [main] [message] Log: java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
5:28:44 PM [main] [message] Log: java.compiler=null
5:28:44 PM [main] [message] Log: os.name=Linux
5:28:44 PM [main] [message] Log: os.version=2.6.24-16-generic
5:28:44 PM [main] [message] Log: os.arch=i386

For some reason, I've the screen cluttered with multiple untitled buffers (it goes until 17) which I can't close. I also suspect this has a negative impact on performance. In the hope that this bug can be fixed in the future, would there be a way to edit manually the file where Jedit's state is saved so that on reopening, these multiple untitled windows disappear?

Thanks.
Some keywords not recognised for highlighting
Submitted by ClivePage on Monday, 10 May, 2010 - 14:27
I'm using Jedit version 4.3.1 on Windows XP, and editing some Fortran90. The syntax highlighting mostly works very well, but a few Fortran keywords did not get recognised (so they did not benefit from highlighting, and the Macro to convert all keywords to upper-case didn't work on them either).

For example data types INTEGER and REAL got recognised, but COMPLEX and DOUBLE PRECISION did not. And while nearly all other statement keywords in the code were ok, the CONTAINS statement was not.

I checked the fortran.xml file and all of these are present, so it's not obvious to me why a few keywords do not get recognised in my code.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or just a feature, or if there's something in the way I have used these keywords that has confused the parser.

Here's a trivial example:

PROGRAM quadratic
IMPLICIT NONE
REAL :: a, b, c, term, root1, root2
COMPLEX :: cterm, croot1, croot2
PRINT *, 'Enter a, b, c:'
READ *, a, b, c

All keywords except COMPLEX are highlighted here.
Strange mouse cursor
Submitted by JonBlanchard on Friday, 23 April, 2010 - 02:49
In the middle of editing a tcl file, the mouse cursor becomes an east-west arrowhead whenever I move the mouse cursor away from the editing area. This includes the menu bar, all menus, the buffer drop-down and the scroll bars. If I open a dialog such as the Global Options menu item, the mouse cursor is normal while the dialog is open. Once I close the dialog, the cursor goes back to the east-west arrowhead outside of the text area, but inside the jEdit app window.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
XInsert plugin does not load (my) user xinsert file
Submitted by mabra on Friday, 2 April, 2010 - 17:30
Hi All !

I have just upgraded to jEdit 4.3[.1], I installed from scratch and setup all required plugins.

XInsert no longer works for me! None of my xinsert files are loaded!
I tried all, I can think about:
- use the \Program files\XInsert dir
- use \user\.jedit\XInsert dir
- specify a custom dir [in plugin options]
- install the plugin manually

All my includes works well in jEdit 4.2.
I depend completely on XInclude and just cannot continue.

Any help would be really great! I do not know, what's wrong and
if this is a bug.

Best regards,
mabra
+line command line attribute does not work with spaces on the filepath ?
Submitted by PlayeFox on Saturday, 27 March, 2010 - 19:29
So, I'm trying to load jedit from the command line and redirect the cursor to a line number.
I copy my test text file readme.txt to the HD root, and do from the jEdit folder:

jedit "c:\readme.txt" +line:2

Works like a charm, cursor is right there on second line. Then I create a directory named "a a" at the root, move the readme, and do:

jedit "c:\a a\readme.txt" +line:4

Nope, still on line 2. Tried fidling with the batch file with no luck.
Any ideas ?
"Open with jEdit" does not work with Win7 (x64)
Submitted by Hans_Bauer on Friday, 26 March, 2010 - 08:27
Opening a file via the context-menu of the explorer does not work anymore under Win7 (x64), although the associated entry in the registration for the context-menu:
HKCR\*\shell\Open with jEdit\Command
with the content
"C:\Windows\system32\javaw.exe" -Xmx192M -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar" -reuseview "%1"
uses correct paths.

Amazing workaround:
Create the file "C:\Temp\JEditStart.bat" with the line
"C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar" -reuseview %1
And create a registration key
HKCR\*\shell\Open via JEditStart\Command
with the content
"C:\Temp\JEditStart.bat" "%1"
This will do the job.

My first suspicion was, that the tcp/ip-traffic between the jEdit-client and the server could be causal and be blocked by the windows-firewall. So i allowed "C:\Windows\system32\javaw.exe" for internal and external traffic, but nothing changed.

Any ideas to fix/enable the original context-menu-item "Open with jEdit"?

Thank you!
Hans
Can you edit the list of open files jEdit tries to restore on start-up?
Submitted by Julian Treadwell on Monday, 22 March, 2010 - 02:25
Hi,

A long-time jEdit user but first-time poster here.

I tried to use jEdit to open a large data file which caused it to hang. jEdit now hangs every time I use the standard start-up batch file (start "jEdit startup" "C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe" -Xmx192M -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar" -reuseview %*) unless I append '-nosettings -norestore'. Just appending '-nosettings' or '-norestore' doesn't fix the problem.

I need to remove this filename from the files jEdit will try and open - anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Julian
Opening file: reuseview problem
Submitted by lilive on Friday, 19 March, 2010 - 15:30
Hi,

Since a few days, I can't re-use jEdit view to open a file. My OS is Windows XP.

this command...

start "jEdit startup" "C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe" -Xmx192M -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar" -reuseview a-file.txt

...always launch a new jEdit instance.

I did the same thing during many months without problems. I haven't updated my jEdit installation, nor my JRE.

Can anyone help please?
Mac OS X - Shortcuts
Submitted by gerhard.tinned on Tuesday, 2 March, 2010 - 11:57
I am using jEdit now for a couple of years. I started using it on Windows and now i moved over to MacOS X.

I used it with Mac OS X 10.5 and now 10.6. But since i am moved from Windows to Mac i observed a very interesting behaviour with the keyboard shortcuts for Copy and Paste.

In the Text Area (i hope my naming for all the components are correct) the Copy and Paste shortcuts are Cmd+C and Cmd+V ... which is exactly as it is used in all Mac-Applications. But all the poup-windows (like Search and Replace, Global Options, ...) The text fields do not react on this shortcuts. They use the shortcut i remember from the Windows version ... Ctrl+C and Crtl+V.

In my opinion this looks a bit confusing for me as i do not leave the Application but the shortcut is different on every window. Sad
Is there any way to change this somehow inconsistent shortcuts?

Thanks.
ctagssidekick with VHDL files
Submitted by timxdunn on Thursday, 18 February, 2010 - 20:12
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I have a problem with the ctagssidekick plugin. I am trying to use it with VHDL files but after parsing all it finds are the entity name and any constants that I may have defined.
Has anyone got any experience of how to set up the ctagssidekick to work with VHDL?
Project viewer plugin causes Jedit to freeze
Submitted by ricardino on Wednesday, 17 February, 2010 - 13:28
Im having trouble using the project viewer plugin. I can get it installed OK, but whenever i attempt to to anything with it (add new files, create new group etc) Jedit just freezes completely. The only way to get things going again is to end the Javaw.exe process and start again. When i attempt to remove the project viewer plugin, the same thing happens.

Im using windows xp pro 32 bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
saving remote files via ftp crashes internet connection
Submitted by 1234ru on Monday, 15 February, 2010 - 22:54
saving remote files via ftp crashes internet connection

Hi!
I have very unexpected problem with JEdit 4.3 and FTP-plugin 0.9.7 (Java 1.6.0_18, Windows XP Service Pack 3)
I can view directories and open files via FTP protocol but when I try to save changes my internet connection crashes (I reproduced it in 100% of cases; It is even more strange assuming I connect via router not directly via VPN or PPP).
It happens with any server I tried and any time.

Other ftp clients connect and modify files normally.

Saving via SFTP protocol also goes normally.

P.S. I have older JEdit on another machine and older FTP plugin (can't remember exact version now). They work with no such errors. So I'm really surprised...
duplicate files on jedit
Submitted by pols on Thursday, 11 February, 2010 - 09:25
Can someone help me configure in saving the files on jedit. Everytime I try to save the files that I'm working on jedit, there is a duplicate files on it.. I want to configure on jedit on how can I save, without duplicating the files.. thanks in advance
global variables values in XInsert plugin are blank
Submitted by d_l on Thursday, 28 January, 2010 - 13:50
I have jEdit 4.3 Java 1.6.0_17.

In the XInsert script I am trying to refer to global variables set in fields in
Options: Plugins: Xinsert

It seems that the value of the 1st global variable is lost (blank) after I enter variable name and value pair, press Apply, press O.K. and then inspect XInsert Options window again. The variable name is always retained but not the value. It is not seen by an xinsert.xml script. I have tried with and without quotations around the value.

I do ensure that I reload XInsert after each edit of the test.insert.xml file placed in /.jedit/xinsert/

I have tried closing down jEdit and restarting but still the global var value is lost.

Also in /.jedit/xinsert/ is the variables file (global variables but blank).

What takes precedence .. the global var settings in the Options pane or the variables file?

This does look like a bug but I'm not sure.
in Mac Snow Leopard, file not loaded into jEdit
Submitted by dushanm on Wednesday, 13 January, 2010 - 02:52
I've been using jEdit 4.3pre14 under Tiger, and it has worked fine. Very recently
I moved to Snow Leopard X.6.2, which uses Java 1.6.0_17, and installed jEdit 4.3.
It works fine except for one thing: when I 2-click on a text file (to which I've
associated jEdit.app) from any file manager - Finder, Path Finder or muCommander -
jEdit comes up, but with no file loaded. I then have to Open the desired file
separately.

Is there some setting in Preferences, or maybe in Java, that I need to configure?

Thanks for any suggestions.

- Dushan
Error message: Cannot run 'global'. ...
Submitted by groofke on Tuesday, 12 January, 2010 - 13:46
Hi,

I'm new at jEdit and i even just installed this program today. I took all the plugins, but i'm getting this error message: "Cannot run 'global'. Please set the path to 'global' in the plugin options."
I've looked at the plugin options at the menu globalplugin. There i see on the top line: "'global' path and a text box, with global in it. I guess that's what the error-message means, but what am i doing wrong? Or is it somewhere else i have to look?

Greets,

Groofke
User login
Browse archives
« March 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338