jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
XML completion broken
Submitted by DavidVerdin on Friday, 23 January, 2009 - 13:30
Hi With the XML plugin installed, I can't have autocompletion while editing an XSLT file. I typed this: When I type "<" on the empty line, the menu appearing allows me to select a comment, CDATA block or a closing xsl:stylesheet tag. I supposed that XSLT autocompletion was built in the XML plugin. How comes I can't choose between the full set of first level elements allowed in this language? The worst part is that I used it a few years ago and it worked out of the box. Do I have a manipulation to do to allows the full autocompletion be performed?
Errors when startin jEdit
Submitted by ADelm on Sunday, 18 January, 2009 - 08:55
Hello,

Using jEdit 4.3 pre 16. on Windows XP SP3.
When starting jEdit, the status bar shows in red on the right 2 error(s).
Double-cliquing this an error window opens showing:
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException: Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.invalidByte(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.read(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.load(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.skipChar(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.gjt.sp.util.XMLUtilities.parseXML(XMLUtilities.java:139)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.SettingsXML.load(SettingsXML.java:155)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BufferHistory.load(BufferHistory.java:175)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:443)

Any solution?

Thanks,

Alain
List of recent files
Submitted by ADelm on Sunday, 18 January, 2009 - 08:51
Hello!

I have jEdit 4.3 pre 16 using Java 1.6.0_11

The list of recent files is working computer has not been shut down.
If I stop the computer, the list is empty.

Any help, thanks!

Alain
File list is not sorted alphabetically.
Submitted by skelband on Tuesday, 13 January, 2009 - 00:19
After upgrading JEdit to 4.3pre_16 I've noticed that the file list drop-down is no longer sorted alpbetically.
When Jedit starts, any files being reopened are sorted, but additionally opened files are placed at the end of the list.

This means that there is a mixture of sorted and unsorted files which is really bizarre and makes it hard to find files.
I'm pretty sure that files were immediately sorted alphabetically before.

I this a bug or has the behavious been changed deliberately?

Cheers
skelband
TextArea is now doublespaced, might be Swing related (4.3.pre16)
Submitted by d4rr3ll on Monday, 22 December, 2008 - 16:41
Hi,

I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction please, I have been using jEdit for ages but since installing Eclipse (to try out Android SDK) everything in the TextArea now seems to be double spaced, infact everything text related now seems to have extra padding at the bottom. Nothing has changed with regard to my jEdit settings. I suspect it might be something Java related that's got installed along with Eclipse, but don't quite know where to start.

Before and after screenshots...

before: http://www.d4rr3ll.com/images/jedit/jedit.gif
after: http://www.d4rr3ll.com/images/jedit/jedit1.gif

I need to get it back to how it looked, as the double spacing is freaking me out.

Hopefully somebody can help.

Cheers
Toggle Docks broken in pre16
Submitted by ntbenari on Thursday, 4 December, 2008 - 08:04
Hi,
I just upgraded from pre14 to pre16.
Selecting Docker/Toggle Docks now causes the follow exception.
I have run Plugin Manager / Update so I should have the must
update version.

Thanks in advance for your help,

java.lang.NullPointerException: Null Pointer in Method Invocation
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:841)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:75)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHIfStatement.evaluateCondition(BSHIfStatement.java:63)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHIfStatement.eval(BSHIfStatement.java:46)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(BSHBlock.java:130)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHBlock.eval(BSHBlock.java:80)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:362)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:258)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:186)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellFacade.runCachedBlock(BeanShellFacade.java:225)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:441)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellAction.invoke(BeanShellAction.java:73)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:352)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:317)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.DefaultInputHandler.handleKey(DefaultInputHandler.java:197)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.input.AbstractInputHandler.processKeyEventKeyStrokeHandling(AbstractInputHandler.java:405)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.processKeyEvent(InputHandler.java:151)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.processKeyEvent(TextArea.java:4545)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
File opens in both views when opening file by drag and drop
Submitted by matt82 on Wednesday, 3 December, 2008 - 17:26
In 4.3pre15 and 4.3pre16 when using split view, when I drag and drop a file into a view to open it, it switches both views to the same file. This only happens when dropping a file into the non-active view. Dropping a file into the active view just opens it in that view. I found bug 2321838 to be describing something similar, but it's been marked as fixed, so maybe it's not the same after all. Anyone know what might be causing this?

I'm running a Power PC Mac with OS X 10.4. jEdit is version 4.3pre16. Java is 1.5.0_16, which is unfortunately the latest version Apple have released.

Matt
File owner being reset on Linux
Submitted by gp on Friday, 28 November, 2008 - 00:42
I can't get jEdit to preserve the file owner on Linux when saving a buffer. The owner is always reset to my_user:my_group, while the file is initially owned by my_user:www_group. So now everytime I save a buffer in jEdit I have to do a chown, otherwise Apache won't be able to read the file.

Disabling or enabling the "two-stage save" feature doesn't seem to make any difference.

I use 4.3pre16, but I had the problem even before upgrading. I don't even know where to start troubleshooting this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Can't Print
Submitted by subuta on Thursday, 27 November, 2008 - 15:53
Hello,

My knowledge is weak in the areas I am discussing, so please be patient.

I am running jedit under ubuntu 8.10. I have set my printer up with cups and it works well when I use lp to print. jedit won't print (fails silently). lpr doesn't work either. Helped by error messages that jedit produced when I tried to print prior to having installed lpr, I have concluded that:

1. jedit is using lpr
2. lpr is failing because I don't have an entry for my printer in termcap

Are these reasonable conclusions? Can I tell jedit to use lp instead of lpr? (I would prefer not to have to maintain printer definitions in both termcap and cups).

Thanks very much for your help.

-subuta
Problem on Ubuntu 8.10: can't type {[]}
Submitted by tomK on Sunday, 16 November, 2008 - 16:43
Hello,

I have a small Eye-wink but difficult problem with my jEdit-editor. I use it now a
few years without big problems. But now it's a little bit more ...

I use it under linux (with windows too, but there are no problems), before with
Ubuntu 7.10, with sun java 5 or 6 (it makes no
difference for me for this problem). And - as german - I have german keypad with
"de-nodeadkeys"-config. With "CtrlAlt-Right 7" for example I get "{" and so one.

Now I changed to Ubuntu 8.10. And there, if I type "CtrlAlt-Right 7" I get "7"
instead of "{"! (it's not really good for programming Eye-wink ) Does anybody have
seen such behavior? It looks as it would ignore
"CtrlAlt-Right"-key. Other applications on this installation do not show such,
there all is fine.

I have tried 4.3pre15 and too 4.3pre13 from official ubuntu package servers.
Same thing. Every time fresh installed (e.g. no ~/.jedit directory) and no
plugins. I'm not sure, if Ubuntu 8.04 is ok or not. I had it only a short time
installed and havn't used jEdit much in this time. But I know, that Ubuntu 7.10
works fine with jEdit.

Maybe it depends on new X server, but I'm not sure and I don't know, how to catch
it. Anybody out there with some suggestions? Some comments in other boards suggests also, that something is broken with sun java under Ubuntu 8.10.

Greetings,
Thomas
Text area display garbles but only on monitor 2
Submitted by Nick Payne on Monday, 10 November, 2008 - 20:01
I'm running a dual monitor setup using Windows Vista SP1 32-bit with a pair of 20" LCD monitors. Java version is JRE 6 update 10 and jEdit is 4.3pre15. On monitor 1 the jEdit window looks fine, but if I drag the window to monitor 2, at the point where more than 50% of the window is on monitor 2 the text area suddenly changes to show a small part of the file I am editing repeated over and over. If I drag the jEdit window back to monitor 1, as soon as more than 50% is on monitor 1 the window changes back to the correct display.

If you have a look at the screen dumps I have uploaded to http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/stuff/monitor1.jpg and http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/stuff/monitor2.jpg you can see what I mean.

The only plugin I've installed in addition to the default ones is LilyPondTool.

The only other Java application I use is Audiveris, and it works fine on either monitor. No other applications on the machine have any display problem on either monitor.

Nick Payne
Autosave of untitled buffers on Vista.
Submitted by Nick Payne on Sunday, 9 November, 2008 - 08:30
Works fine on XP, but on Vista this fails with an error messagebox: "C:\Program Files\jEdit\#Untitled-1#: Cannot save: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\jEdit\#Untitled-1# (Access is denied)".

I can't see anywhere in Options to change the autosave path away from the Program Files dir. I have 4.3pre15 installed on Vista Business.
MRJApp.properties not found
Submitted by jsudduth on Friday, 7 November, 2008 - 23:02
jEdit used to work just fine on my MacBook Pro OS X 10.5.5. Now when I try to start it up there's a flash then nothing. In the system.log is the following:

Nov 7 13:43:56 jsudduth-mbp-2 com.apple.launchd[128] (0x10bac0.Locum[1998]): Exited: Terminated
Nov 7 13:44:02 jsudduth-mbp-2 [0x0-0x8a08a].org.gjt.sp.jedit[2002]: [JavaAppLauncher Error] CFBundleCopyResourceURL() failed loading MRJApp.properties file
Nov 7 13:44:02 jsudduth-mbp-2 [0x0-0x8a08a].org.gjt.sp.jedit[2002]: [JavaAppLauncher Error] CFBundleCopyResourceURL() failed while getting Resource/Java directory
Nov 7 13:44:02 jsudduth-mbp-2 [0x0-0x8a08a].org.gjt.sp.jedit[2002]: [LaunchRunner Error] No main class specified
Nov 7 13:44:02 jsudduth-mbp-2 [0x0-0x8a08a].org.gjt.sp.jedit[2002]: [JavaAppLauncher Error] CallStaticVoidMethod() threw an exception
Nov 7 13:44:02 jsudduth-mbp-2 [0x0-0x8a08a].org.gjt.sp.jedit[2002]: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
Nov 7 13:44:02 jsudduth-mbp-2 [0x0-0x8a08a].org.gjt.sp.jedit[2002]: at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:112)
Nov 7 13:44:02 jsudduth-mbp-2 [0x0-0x8a08a].org.gjt.sp.jedit[2002]: at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:50)
Nov 7 13:44:02 jsudduth-mbp-2 [0x0-0x8a08a].org.gjt.sp.jedit[2002]: at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.main(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:61)
Nov 7 13:44:02 jsudduth-mbp-2 com.apple.launchd[128] ([0x0-0x8a08a].org.gjt.sp.jedit[2002]): Exited with exit code: 1

The odd thing is there's no MRJApp.properties file in the jEdit.app package I downloaded. Why is it suddenly looking for this file?

Thanks,
Jim
Help! I've lost the File Open and Save As dialogs
Submitted by Lummo on Sunday, 26 October, 2008 - 14:46
When I try File | Open or Save As operations jEdit apparently writes up the dialog because I hear disk activity and see Input/Output complete in the status bar. The dialog is no where to be seen. Any other menu operations are met with a beep which normally indicates a modal dialog is expecting input. gets rid of it and I can then use other menu options. I'm using jEdit 4.3pre10 with java 1.6.0_03. Things went wrong when I was trying to open a file and got bored waiting for the dialog to appear (network share). I am using Microsoft Virual Desk Manager (MSVDM) and switched to another desktop to start up some music. While I was on the other desktop the File Open dialog appeared and then disappeared. Now I can't get the File Open dialog on any desktop. I've rebooted and reinstalled jEdit but it hasn't made any difference. I'm guessing that some config file in jEdit has got confused and isn't loading the dialog in the right place in the display. Does any one know if this might be so and, if so, how I can reset it? Thanks for any suggestions. with regards, Lummo
Using JEdit on UNIX system (Solaris P)
Submitted by rlanier on Tuesday, 14 October, 2008 - 15:40
I've used jedit for a while now, and I've noticed something peculiar: if I start instance #2 of jedit, the files that are open in instance #1 show up in instance #2 window, and vice versa. For example, if I start jedit like this:

jedit file1.txt (terminal window #1)
jedit file2.txt (terminal window #2)

I will get two instances of jedit running, but I will see both file1.txt and file2.txt in BOTH instances of jedit!

Why is this and how can I prevent this happening?
Creating EXE for file association
Submitted by proee on Friday, 10 October, 2008 - 22:19
Hello,

My computer need a cold reinstall of windows yesterday so I've been downloading all my favorite programs again. I've installed the latest version of jEdit but don't see an exe to associate files with windows. I read this died back in version 4.2

Bottom line, I have some programs that rely on passing their file to the exe so I can open it in jedit.

The biggest emergency I have it to find a way to associate this firefox plugin https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4125 to jedit. It's used to edit html textboxes with your favorite editor.

Any help here is very much apprehiated.....
Cursor positioning problems on Mac OS X
Submitted by terrencebarr on Thursday, 9 October, 2008 - 09:10
jEdit 4.2 and OS X 10.4 worked fine for me for over a year. A couple of weeks ago I switched to OS X 10.5 and a bit later to jEdit 4.3pre13. In the meantime I also updated to Java 6. Since some point (not sure what caused it) I now have trouble with the cursor positioning in jEdit.

Initially, after opening a file in jEdit I can move the cursor and insert and delete text as expected. But within a couple of seconds the cursor position is off - meaning when I insert or delete text it actually occurs one or two characters *to the right* of the cursor position, not directly left of the cursor. This behavior continues until I close the file and reopen it, upon it will work correctly for a few seconds, then misbehave again.

Strange thing is that switching between jEdit 4.2 and 4.3pre15 doesn't help - the problem now appears in both versions. Also, switching between Java 5 and Java 6 doesn't help, either (Info.plist). So right now I can't find any way to fix the cursor behavior - which is driving me nuts.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-- Terrence
Ftp plugin and "@" in username.
Submitted by radoos on Wednesday, 3 September, 2008 - 11:23
Hi,
Is there any way to login to FTP server with "@" in username?
Increasing java heap size in Windows XP
Submitted by jcaponi on Thursday, 28 August, 2008 - 17:18
I'm trying to increase memory heap size to deal with this error:

'There was insuffficient Java heap memory to complete this request. Try increasing the maximum heap size"

I've found references like this:
http://www.philroche.net/archives/jedit-still-going-strong-increase-heap-size/
and this
http://hausheer.osola.com/docs/5

but not sure where these parameters get set: command line? Jedit Properties control panel?
Would appreciate any advice,
thanks
Problem w/ Console and Perl
Submitted by smoreland on Wednesday, 20 August, 2008 - 16:12
This was working OK at 4.2, but I can't get it to work at 4.3.Pre14 or 15. When I have a perl source file open and go to console> Compile Current Buffer I get errors starting with :
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.gjt.sp.jedit.ActionSet.getAction(Ljava/lang/String;)Lorg/gjt/sp/jedit/EditAction;
at console.ConsolePlugin.compile(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
... and going on for tens of lines.

Everything else seems to be set OK and the edit mode is set to perl.

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

Steve
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348