jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
MalformedByteSequenceException in JEdit 4.3pre15
Submitted by dhschulten on Friday, 15 August, 2008 - 09:07
After installing the new jedit, I get a red label 1 error(s) in the lower right. When I double click it, the following stack trace appears. Something in the buffer history seems to be wrong, but how can I fix this?

com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException: Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.invalidByte(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.read(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.load(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.skipChar(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.gjt.sp.util.XMLUtilities.parseXML(XMLUtilities.java:125)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.SettingsXML.load(SettingsXML.java:150)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BufferHistory.load(BufferHistory.java:175)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:441)
KunststoffLookAndFeel exception
Submitted by powery on Thursday, 14 August, 2008 - 13:11
Do you have same problem?

jEdit 4.3pre15 java 1.6.0_02 windows xp

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.incors.plaf.kunststoff.KunststoffLookAndFeel
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:276)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:247)
at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.loadSystemClass(SwingUtilities.java:1848)
at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.java:580)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.initPLAF(jEdit.java:3393)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:418)
missing encoding big5 on xp on global settings
Submitted by kitsguru on Wednesday, 30 July, 2008 - 22:26
I am running xp professional and have need to use big5 encoding however it is not an option under global encodings, in fact there are several encodings that appear to be missing but this is the only one I need.

I have de-installed and then re-installed jedit 1.43pre14 to no avail. I have search microsoft and the web to see if I could find anything relevant but came up with nothing useful. Other programs on the same machine should the big5 encoding option.

Any ideas what might be the problem?
jEdit No Longer Loads in Vista
Submitted by dustinfineout on Wednesday, 30 July, 2008 - 14:29
I've seen this reported before by users who installed a Windows update and subsequently were unable to open jEdit. I did not install any updates, though, just tried to go to work this morning with no luck.

I installed jEdit with the Windows installer about 3 months ago on this machine, which is running Vista Home Premium, and have had no problems until today. Now, when I try to open jEdit, a javaw.exe process is spawned and hangs. This happens whether I run through the installed shortcut, directly run the exe, or run from command line, and regardless of whether I run as administrator. I've uninstalled jEdit to try different releases, and I cleared all temporary and application data and rebooted after each uninstall. The same thing happens regardless what I try. Also the latest Windows update I've installed was on the 20th and I tried uninstalling that (didn't help).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've used jEdit almost exclusively for about 2 years now - it's become a very powerful tool for me so I'd hate to have to move back to other editors.
Block Insert Broken?
Submitted by herr_jon on Tuesday, 29 July, 2008 - 20:00
Using block insert, using + , to select regions of a file for txt insertion used to work but now creates irregular areas. The way I've been using this feature is in the columns before or after existing text I select a zero width column then type new contents in that collumn. What used to happen was each character would be equally spaced from the left hand margin - what happens now is the spacing is variable. Can this be fixed? Thanks, Jon
Edit window locks after switching to another app and back.
Submitted by ttmrichter on Friday, 18 July, 2008 - 03:37
This isn't a showstopper, but it's really annoying. I don't know if this is a bug or if it's something bad in my setup, so I'm posting here first to see if this can be resolved before reporting it formally as a bug.

Setup:
- jEdit 4.3pre14
- Ubuntu 8.04
- Java 1.6u7
- Plugins:
- AStyle Beautifier, Beauty, BufferList, BufferTabs, Code2HTML, Column Ruler, Common Controls, Console, CtagsSideKick, Editor Scheme, ErrorList, FTP, GnuRegexp, Hex Edit, Hyperlinks, Info Viewer, JavaScript Shell, JDiff Plugin, JTidy, Latest Version Check, MacroManager, Project Viewer, QuickNotepad, RecentBufferSwitcher, RFCReader, RubyPlugin, SideKick, SQL, SshConsole, SuperAbbrevs, SuperScript, Syntax Helper, TextTools, WhiteSpace, XercesPlugin, XInsert and XML

All of the plugins are at the latest known version according to the Plugin Manager.

With this setup, I experience some very bizarre behaviour. Whenever I switch away from jEdit, when I come back the edit window will simply not respond to the keyboard at all. Mouse activity works fine. I can get context menus. I can cut and paste using them. The editing window seems to be working fine in every respect except that it ignores the keyboard. To make the keyboard work, all I have to do is go to any other window -- say the console window or my side kick window or the project manager window -- and click inside it, giving it the focus. Then if I click back in the edit window everything works perfectly.

To me this smells of some kind of plug-in interaction problem, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what's clashing where. I've tried disabling various plug-ins here and there, but nothing seems to get rid of this problem. Still, with this many plug-ins loaded it's hard to figure out what combination is the magic one, so I'm asking for those more experienced with jEdit to lend me a hand with this.

What can I do to better characterize this problem and, even better, what can I do to get rid of it?
Error Message
Submitted by audstune on Saturday, 12 July, 2008 - 20:01
Hi...I installed jedit on my desktop and love it. But I tried to run it on my laptop and I get an error message: When Java Virtual Machine Launcher tries to launch, the error says: Could not find the main class.

Can anyone help with this? I need to use my laptop on a trip to update my xml file.

Thanks!
ISO-10646-UCS-2 encoded xml-file isn't readable
Submitted by achim.wessling on Sunday, 29 June, 2008 - 13:55
I've a ISO-10646-UCS-2 encoded xml-file which is written by Smallworld GIS. If I try to open this file with jedit it's not readable. Cryptic characters are displayed, other editors like gedit, PSPad, windows texteditor, do not have any problem with displaying it. What's wrong?
Fuzzy looking fonts and graphics
Submitted by gatorbrit on Monday, 23 June, 2008 - 19:18
Hi I am running jEdit in Ubuntu linux 8.04. The fonts etc are really fuzzy and blurry. Not at all crisp. Everything else (outside of jEdit) is very clear.

Any ideas where the problem might be.

Thanks
jEdit Launcher bug on administrative privilages
Submitted by takeshin on Thursday, 19 June, 2008 - 09:01
Problem exists on Windows XP/Vista and other NT based.
When I try to open a new file (form system context menu Open with jEdit)
and server instance of jEdit is running, i get following error:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Null Pointer in Method Invocation
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:841)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:75)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHVariableDeclarator.eval(BSHVariableDeclarator.java:86)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHTypedVariableDeclaration.eval(BSHTypedVariableDeclaration.java:84)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:644)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:738)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:727)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellFacade._eval(BeanShellFacade.java:149)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellFacade.eval(BeanShellFacade.java:114)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.eval(BeanShell.java:389)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditServer$1.run(EditServer.java:343)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

What’s the trouble?

--
takesgin
InfoViewer encoding
Submitted by takeshin on Wednesday, 18 June, 2008 - 09:30
Hello,

I use InfoViewer plugin to preview HTML during coding.
When I declare UTF-8 in meta tag, and UTF-8 in buffer encoding,
Unicode characters (ą, ę, ś, ć, ż, ż…) are rendered incorrect.

When I change meta declaration to iso-8859-2 and buffer encoding to UTF-8,
characters are ok.

Anybody can help me with this issue?

--
takeshin
jEdit won't search in files named "_*.*" - need a fix!
Submitted by tomcloyd on Friday, 6 June, 2008 - 19:51
I very rarely have problems with jEdit, which I use a lot, even though I'm only an avocational programmer. I'm right now having a problem I've not encountered before, and I'm sure I'm simply running into my own ignorance, but so far haven't found the fix. It's simple:

First, I'm on Kubuntu Linux 7.10, running jEdit 4.3 pre12, with java 1.6.0_03. I'm fairly new to Linux.

I have a fairly large number of text files (*.txt) in which I'm needing to do a search and replace involving a straightforward character string. It seems clear that jEdit simply will NOT open and search any of my files which begin with an underscore, and a lot of them do. This is a disaster, since doing a manual search is out of the question. I've certainly tried unchecking the "skip hidden/backup" option in the search modal window - it has NO effect. What's the problem here and what can I do to fix it, please?

Any help would be much appreciated!
jEdit freezes when running python with raw_input() in Console Plugin
Submitted by Cheo on Wednesday, 4 June, 2008 - 22:48
Hi

I found this issue annoying, as I cannot run any python script in the Console plugin if there is a raw_input() or input() within the code.
I'm using Debian. jEdit simply freezes, with the running icon spinning in the Console plugin, but being unable to do anything at all.

As long as there is no raw_input() or input() in the code, the python command run fine in the Console plugin.

Any idea?
jEdit won't start...after hibernate?
Submitted by jimmygyuma on Saturday, 31 May, 2008 - 18:42
All my problems started when I upgraded my memory from 1G to 2G. I ran into the 'Not enough system resources...' bug. Tracked down and installed the hotfix for that. jEdit would not run. It was working fine before. Uninstalled it downloaded and installed the new version (jEdit 4.3pre14 using Java 1.6.0_05); still won't run. Maybe a restart is required. Did a restart. jEdit started right up, with the pretty colored icons and all my plugins, macros, etc. Okay, I'm set I think. I almost never shut my computer down, it takes so long to start up, plus it doesn't connect to my always on internet (or didn't, installing the hotfix seems to have jarred something loose in that department.) I started and stopped jEdit two or three times this morning with no problems, but on the third or fourth go, it wouldn't start. Double click on the icon, the hourglass appears for about a second and disappears and nothing further happens. I tried starting it from a command prompt and got 'Unable to access C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar.' I cogitate on it and try another restart; jEdit starts up fine after.

So it seems I have two choices: 1. Keep jEdit running all the time, or 2. Restart my computer before firing up jEdit.

Could someone help me please?

Jim
JEdit produces ever increasing number of windows for every jedit start through a VPN connection
Submitted by Xoman08 on Friday, 30 May, 2008 - 11:03
I am using JEdit (4.2 Stable) on an old Linux CentOS (uname -r = 2.4.21) at work and on Fedora 8 at home. On both I use KDE environment. Recently I got VPN connection to work. Then I connect through a ssh -X -C -q -l username machine_name. The connection works well and it feels like working at the office. However JEdit shows some worrying phenomena. If I logout from work when I login into my session through VPN and then I can start JEdit and it will appear at my machine at Home. Everything is fine and well. However If I forget to logout at work, jedit will refuse to appear at my machine at home ... Unlike many other applicatios which do appear at the screen at home. When I get to the office I will see extra windows at the office for each time I started jedit. Also, and this is the most worrying phenomena. For every time I start jedit on a remote connection, even if it doesn't appear on my screen (it appears at the screen at work) a new window appears. So far I have 5 JEdit windows. And that number has increased for every jedit start I have executed through VPN. The fact is that when I get back to the office even after closing JEdit or rebooting the Linux machine, still when starting JEdit I get 5 windows. I am worried that if this keeps going Jedit is going to become unusable. I have been looking at /.jedit folder settings also at /tmp ... Also I have tried to start Jedit from the command line with different versions but still the phenomena persists. Nothing I can find nothing that may indicated something like a "replication of sessions - windows". If anyone can give me a hint of where to look, which files to delete in order to correct this behaviour, I will be very grateful. Does anyone know if there is "professional support" (i.e. read "paid support") for JEdit? This issue is quite urgent, if I don't get it sorted I will be forced to use another editor when working remotely. And even at the office too will be forced to stop using JEdit until this issue is solved. Could this be a bug in Jedit? Probably not, I figure is some issue in this bloody old CentOS that I have to use at work. Thanks for reading.
Using jedit on Solaris 9 with Gnome desktop
Submitted by rlanier on Tuesday, 27 May, 2008 - 18:45
Hi,

I've installed the latest release of jedit in my home directory, and can get jedit to come up fine. But when it does, I get TWO instances of jedit, both with the same text file. I've also tried to print to a color printer, but all I get is grayscale.

Does anyone have a clue why I'm seeing this?

Thanks,
Tony
UnsatisfiedLinkError on Mac OS X with Apple's Java 1.6
Submitted by vocaro on Tuesday, 27 May, 2008 - 09:30

I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.2 and have installed the new 1.6.0_05 release of Apple's Java distribution. The new Java seems to be causing problems, however, because jEdit 4.3pre14 will not run with it installed. I get:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/java/libObjCJava.A.dylib:  
 at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method) 
 at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1822) 
 at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1702) 
 at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:770) 
 at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1005) 
 at com.apple.cocoa.foundation.NSRuntime.loadLibrary(NSRuntime.java:127) 
 at com.apple.cocoa.foundation.NSRuntime.(NSRuntime.java:35) 
 at com.apple.cocoa.foundation.NSObject.(NSObject.java:27) 
 at macos.MacOSPlugin.start(Unknown Source) 
 at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PluginJAR.startPlugin(PluginJAR.java:1360)

There has been talk of this bug in other places, namely here:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/java-dev/2008/Apr/msg00280.html

and here:

http://lists.bluej.org/pipermail/bluej-discuss/2007-October/006482.html

My guess is that the problem can be worked around by preventing jEdit's Mac OS plugin from launching, but I haven't confirmed this.

Any other thoughts?

GUIUtilities.setIconPath doesn't work with pre14
Submitted by MichaelSchreiner on Thursday, 22 May, 2008 - 02:30
After updating from pre13 to pre14 my startup script containing:
GUIUtilities.setIconPath("jeditresource:iconfile.jar!/org/gjt/sp/jedit/icons/");
doesn't work any more, the icons are missing after jEdit startup.
The activity log shows no problems.
TextAutocomplete too slow
Submitted by powery on Monday, 12 May, 2008 - 14:04
TextAutocomplete (0.9.5) on JEdit (4.3pre14) is too slow for large files (3 MB). 'Start for buffer' takes about 2 minutes. If Ctrl+B is used, it's fast.

Options:
max. words: 10000
min. prefix: 2
remember: 2
belongs to word?: Character.isLetter(insertion) || insertion == '_';

other default

Any ideas?
Mac Expose Trouble
Submitted by dimebag on Tuesday, 6 May, 2008 - 22:35
It seems that over time, jEdit has accumulated some sort of cache of blank pages. When I go to Expose, I get a ton of blank windows, each of the windows is titled "Untitled-1." They seem to load each time I start jEdit and have significantly reduced the performance of the application. At first I though the problem may be due to the auto backup, but I have turned it off without any effect. Maybe there is some bug with the window splitting mechanism? I'm running jEdit 4.3 pre 13 on OS X 10.5.2, but have had this problem before the OS updates. Check out this screenshot for reference: http://obreczarek.com/screen.png
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348