jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Launching the native Windows Command Prompt
Submitted by LordKelvan on Wednesday, 7 December, 2005 - 05:30
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was any way to actually launch the Windows command prompt, and pass it parameters? I tried something like running cmd.exe from the System Shell of the Console plugin, but all that did was run the command prompt INSIDE the System Shell, not actually launch it (like some other editors, such as Crimson Editor, are capable of doing). Does anyone know how to do this properly (or just in general launch external applications from inside jEdit)?
Problem with Console Plugin and stdin
Submitted by LordKelvan on Wednesday, 7 December, 2005 - 05:26
Hi, I have the latest version of the Console plugin (4.1.2). After reading some posts in this forum, it seems that versions of the plugin after 4.1 should support stdin (i.e. it allows for user keyboard input when running c programs). However, when I try to run a simple C program which asks the user a few questions in the System Shell of the Console plugin, it doesn't work properly. What happens is the cursor moves to the next line, and just stays there. I have to type something and hit enter before anything happens. Then the message "Press any key to continue" appears. After I press enter, the message "Press any key to continue" appears again, along with all the printf's contained in my program, with the scanf's bypassed (even though I never typed in anything). My program is very simple, and runs properly in the regular Windows shell. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong with regards to the Console plugin. Do I have to set it up in some special way to allow for keyboard input?
Is the Tilde issue fixed?
Submitted by rdrs on Wednesday, 30 November, 2005 - 10:30
Hello all,

I've been experiencing this "tilde issue" with jedit 43pre2, as well as with some other Java applications, though not all. I'm using a us_intl keyboard layout on linux, and my windows installation doesn't suffer from this.

I can do graves, acutes, umlauts and cedillas, alone or with a letter, but no tilde. The search and open dialogs 'can't tilde' either.

The same thing used to happen with Komodo 3.1, though it has been fixed in 3.5. Eclipse doesn't suffer from the problem. jGnash displays the exact same problem.

I've checked earlier posts, suggesting some workarounds, but after a message earlier this year, there's no more communication on the matter.

Now, apparently there was some relation between this problem and the JVM, or rather not? It's not fair blaming jEdit if the problem lies elsewhere..

Does anybody know of a solution?

Regards,

Renato
JCompiler slowing key response
Submitted by cburbeck on Tuesday, 29 November, 2005 - 14:32
I'm running JEdit 4.2 on a mac mini with Tiger( OSX 10.4.2), using the JCompiler, Console, and ErrorList plugins. After I run an app from the Console, subsequent key response in JEdit slows to the point where its unuseable. The quirky thing is that going to PlugIn Options>JCompiler>GeneralOptions and clicking OK, without making any changes, brings response time back to normal. I'm using the default error parsing options:
Regexp for errors (.+):(\d+)Sad.+) (The unhappy faces were originally colons followed by left parens)
FileName at $1
Line number at $2
Message at $3
Regexp for warnings: (.+(note|warning|caution):.+)|(.+deprecated.+)
Is there something in my setup that could account for this?
error when using the project viewer plugin
Submitted by SBrightman on Wednesday, 23 November, 2005 - 10:10
I am using jedit on Windows XP System.

i do the follow:
Plugins -> Project Viewer -> Create Project

if i do this i get the error shown below.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/gjt/sp/jedit/PluginJAR
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2170)
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethod(Class.java:1712)
at bsh.Reflect.findAccessibleMethod(Unknown Source)
at bsh.Reflect.invokeMethod(Unknown Source)
at bsh.Reflect.invokeStaticMethod(Unknown Source)
at bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Unknown Source)
at bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(Unknown Source)
at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(Unknown Source)
at bsh.BSHBlock.eval(Unknown Source)
at bsh.BshMethod.invokeDeclaredMethod(Unknown Source)
at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(Unknown Source)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellAction.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(Unknown Source)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditAction$Wrapper.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1849)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2167)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:302)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1000)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1041)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:231)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5465)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3089)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5230)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:1961)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3933)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2019)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3781)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4205)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3885)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3815)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2005)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1764)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3781)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:463)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

thanks
steve
Continual Memory Growth under OS X
Submitted by jpavel on Monday, 21 November, 2005 - 06:17
Hello,

I'm running jEdit 4.2 under Mac OS X 10.3.9 with Java v1.4.2_09. I've passed an "-Xmx32m" switch to the JVM when I run jEdit, but nonetheless, its memory usage, as reported by the Activity Monitor, continues to grow as I use it over a number of hours, from ~50MB to about ~150MB and still slowly moves upwards. Given that I've capped the JVM heap, where is this consumption coming from? Does anyone else experience this, or know how to deal with it?

Thanks!
can't run
Submitted by akurashy on Friday, 18 November, 2005 - 06:19
GC Warning: Out of Memory! Returning NIL!
Segmentation fault
ProjectViewer double click stopped working
Submitted by acicovic on Thursday, 17 November, 2005 - 13:30
Hi there.

I am using jEdit 4.2 final on a Windows box. Today, I updated the ProjectViewer plugin to the latest version. Now, double clicking on a file in the ProjectViewer no longer opens it in the editor. Drag and drop works though.

I tried re-installing it, but it still has the same problem.

Any ideas? I am stuck....

For anyone suspecting conflict with another plugin, I provide a list of the other plugins I use:

Common Controls
CssEditor
ErrorList
JDiff
JTidy
Latest Version Check
QuickNotepad
SideKick
SQL
WhiteSpace
XML
Trouble with templates plugin
Submitted by Richard_UICI on Wednesday, 16 November, 2005 - 20:20
I have downloaded the templates plugin, but it refuses to retrieve a template from the template tree. Whenever I try, I just get a dialog box with a red stopsign in it and an OK button, and nothing else. This happens with even the simplest of templates -- just a line or two of text with no directives.

Otherwise it seems partially functional -- for instance, I can save templates and view them in the template tree. I'm using the latest stable build of JEdit, 4.2, and Java runtime 1.5.

Anyone have any ideas?
Change from 2 monitors to 1 monitor will result in an hidden search window (still on mon 2)
Submitted by Augur on Thursday, 10 November, 2005 - 20:20
Hi.

If I deactivate my second monitor in XP the search window still stays on the deactivated screen. How can I get it back without the use of an second monitor?

THX, Nils
Runs, Display is blank
Submitted by Posidon on Monday, 31 October, 2005 - 02:48
JEdit launches, but the splash screen is completely blank (white area where the splash screen should be). Once JEdit fully loads, the main window is there, but it's contents are blank.

As far as I can tell, I think its a problem with my Java installation. Any Swing application that I run manually (samples from the SDK installation) don't show any of the JButtons, JLabels, etc. I've un-installed and re-installed the SDK (1.4.2_90) multiple times, but I haven't been able to get things to display properly.

Any ideas/help/suggestions on this issue? Thanks in advance.

~ J
jedit doesnt simply launch!
Submitted by contrapunctus on Sunday, 30 October, 2005 - 15:53
hi everone. i have winxp sp2 with jre1.5.0_05. i tried installing both windows and java installer versions of jedit (on 3 computers like mine). however when lauching, i only see the splash screen and when the bottom progress bar completes, nothing happens and the splash picture just freezes! i checked the %path% environment variable. all things seem correct to me. i need jedit and thus i need your help!
(i tried launching via cmd, and this long error message produced)

[error] GUIUtilities: java.lang.NullPointerException
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.util.StringTokenizer.(Unknown Source)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.parseStyle(GUIUtilities. java:790)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.loadStyles(GUIUtilities. java:888)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.loadStyles(GUIUtilities. java:864)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane.propertiesChanged(EditPane.j ava:453)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane.(EditPane.java:358)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.createEditPane(View.java:1547)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.restoreSplitConfig(View.java:139 3)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.(View.java:1197)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2141)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2117)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2097)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$5.run(jEdit.java:3455)
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source )
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy( Unknown Source)
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Un known Source)
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source )
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source )
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.parseStyle(GUIUtilities. java:790)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.loadStyles(GUIUtilities. java:888)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.loadStyles(GUIUtilities. java:864)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane.propertiesChanged(EditPane.j ava:453)
[error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.restoreSplitConfig(View.java:139 3)
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source )
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy( Unknown Source)
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Un known Source)
[error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source ) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy( Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Un known Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source ) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source ) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: java.lang.NullPointerException [error] GUIUtilities: at java.util.StringTokenizer.(Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.util.StringTokenizer.(Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.parseStyle(GUIUtilities. java:790) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.loadStyles(GUIUtilities. java:888) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.loadStyles(GUIUtilities. java:864) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane.propertiesChanged(EditPane.j ava:453) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane.(EditPane.java:358) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.createEditPane(View.java:1547) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.restoreSplitConfig(View.java:139 3) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.(View.java:1197) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2141) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2117) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2097) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$5.run(jEdit.java:3455) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source ) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy( Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Un known Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source ) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source ) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: java.lang.NullPointerException [error] GUIUtilities: at java.util.StringTokenizer.(Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.util.StringTokenizer.(Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.parseStyle(GUIUtilities. java:790) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.loadStyles(GUIUtilities. java:888) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.loadStyles(GUIUtilities. java:864) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane.propertiesChanged(EditPane.j ava:453) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane.(EditPane.java:358) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.createEditPane(View.java:1547) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.restoreSplitConfig(View.java:139 3) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.(View.java:1197) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2141) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2117) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2097) [error] GUIUtilities: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$5.run(jEdit.java:3455) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source ) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy( Unknown Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Un known Source) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source ) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source ) [error] GUIUtilities: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: java.lang.NullPointerException [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextAreaPainter.setStyle s(TextAreaPainter.java:218) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane.propertiesChanged(EditPa ne.java:453) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane.(EditPane.java:358 ) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.createEditPane(View.java:154 7) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.restoreSplitConfig(View.java :1393) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.(View.java:1197) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2141) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2117) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2097) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$5.run(jEdit.java:3455) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown So urce) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierar chy(Unknown Source) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown So urce) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown So urce) [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Saving and WebDAV
Submitted by no_hope on Saturday, 29 October, 2005 - 20:18
Saving a file with jEdit in a WebDAV folder seems to cause the file type to be set to application/*zip*. I have observed this behavior when mounting WedDAV with Konqueror and WebDrive.

Is there a way to tell jEdit not to change file attributes when saving?

Thanks!
Abbreviations don't work in embedded script
Submitted by davmay on Saturday, 22 October, 2005 - 02:50
I created an abbreviation for Javascript mode; it works fine in a *.js buffer, but I find that it doesn't work within a Javascript block embedded in an *.html or *.hta buffer. Shouldn't mode-specific abbreviations work correctly within a delegated mode just as syntax highlighting does?

Is there some way for the user to make this work, or is this an ability that jEdit does not have yet?

Workarounds:
1. Copy the javascript abbreviations to the html mode.
2. Create the abbreviations in the global mode instead.

Both these approaches, of course, negate the principle of configuring each mode independently.
Mac OS style menubar not working
Submitted by noah on Monday, 17 October, 2005 - 21:26
Since I upgraded from Panther to Tiger, the option to "Enable Mac OS style menubar" (in the Plugin Options for the Mac OS Plugin) no longer works. Regardless of whether or not this option is selected, the jEdit menu appears at the top of the jEdit window, not in the OS X menubar at the top of the page.

Is there a setting I can edit manually that will fix this? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Noah
Mac OX Plugin
Submitted by jbmoore on Saturday, 15 October, 2005 - 21:53
Greetings..

Just installed a JEdit on a fresh Mac OSX (Panther) and it came with the Mac OSX plugin.. I then did an install of nearly all of the plugins..

The Mac Plugin now fails so I removed it from the "installed" (it was red). I would like to reinstall it but I don't see it on the "Installs" list..

Suggestions..?

John..
Code Browser and Python sources
Submitted by Pedro Ribeiro on Friday, 14 October, 2005 - 13:52
Hi everybody.
I am a big fan of jEdit and cant find any more complete editor for Python.
But I am using Code Browser/ctags and it is working BUT unfortunatelly the METHODS are not coming nested under their respective classes. This is indeed provided by ctags when I run it on console as codebrowser does as you can see below:
...canvas.py /^ def __init__(self, parent, id = -1):$/;" kind:member class:ColumnCanvas

Is there any way to workaround it? Change some conf file or xml in the jar?
It seems a pretty easy code to write how can we help do it? I am willing to do it if it is the case...

Thanks
Indent Next Line property
Submitted by Targ Collective on Thursday, 6 October, 2005 - 14:45
I am trying to get IndentNextLine to work in a custom XML, but as the Jedit documentation does not cover this in nearly enough depth I don’t know where to start. The example is no help, as there are more of these: “(“ than these: “ )“ which confuses things. The Jedit team should update their documentation of this really, but in the interim could someone fill me in?
Cannot find CatalogManager.properties
Submitted by HolyBastard on Wednesday, 28 September, 2005 - 13:22
I'm using jEdit under linux redhat enterprise 3 I have XML plug-in 0.13 and sidekick 0.3.4 and I consistanly get thoses messages:
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: Cannot find CatalogManager.properties
[error] SideKick #1: Cannot find CatalogManager.properties
[error] SideKick #1: Cannot find CatalogManager.properties

It doesn't seems to do anything but its really annoying and i was wondering how I could fix this.
Thanks in advance for your help.

HolyBastard
Location of JDK
Submitted by naugiedoggie on Tuesday, 27 September, 2005 - 01:32
When I try to run JCompiler, it gives me an error saying that my 'java.home' appears to be "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04". Where is it getting that from? It's not from my environmental settings:

powem@PDXPOWEM01 [ ~ ]
--> echo $JAVA_HOME
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_04

c:\src>set
CLASSPATH=C:\Program Files\MySQL\mysql-connector-java-3.1.10;
JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_04

I've looked in various properties files and can't find any place to set this value. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mp
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348