jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Help for Console plugin cannot be found
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 28 March, 2005 - 10:46
When I open help and click on the help for the Console plugin I get:
The file jeditresource:/Console.jar/index.html could not be loaded due to an I/O error.
(java.io.IOException: Resource not found: index.html)
I then removed Console and loaded it again using Plugin Manager, but nothing seems to help.
Any ideas?
TIA,
Arie
International Character input (at least Baltic Encoding)
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 25 March, 2005 - 18:27
I just thought it might help somebody. I have Mepis3.3 installed on my IBM Laptop and under windows i was used to jEdit, so after switching to Linux i of course installed jEdit too, but my my - though the keyboard layouts work just fine in any other program it wouldn't in jEdit - it just prints absolutely wrong characters (no matter what encoding is set default). I found a workaround to this:
First of all you need Character Map plugin installed.
So how do we get the character - using kde (3.3.2) Alt+Character does the trick, but not in Java apps.
Do this:
Start Macros Recording > type the Alt+Character (it gives you the usual stoooopid none-needs-it character) > Stop Recording (it switches you to Macros editing) > select the wrong character > open Character Map plugin - type the correct one > save the macros > open Global Options Shortcuts > Macros > find the macros you just created and assign it the hot key Alt+Character .
Vuala ! Thus you have what you needed in the first place Smiling Of course, it will take some time to make all the needed macros, but if you love jEdit as i do you will find it a peace of cake Eye-wink

And now for those of you who know the proper way to correct this - start talking ! Laughing out loud
Jedit and MAC os 10.2.8
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 22 March, 2005 - 16:40
[posted this in the wrong forum, installation]
Up installation and start-up an error message is retunred, "MAC OS Plug-in requires a later version of java (MRJ 99)" What do I need, I tried installing MRJ 2.2.26 but was returned a message that the latest version was installed.
New version ProjectViewer and SQL together.
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 20 March, 2005 - 11:29
Hi,

When I install new versions of ProjectViewer and SQL plugin, working together is ended with error:
Cannot start: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: projectviewer/config/ProjectOptionsPlugin.

Please, help me.
tom.
New unindentThisLine property
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 14 March, 2005 - 22:24
I don't know if this is user error, or a bug, so I thought I'd start in the troubleshooting forum.

I constantly use jEdit to edit Ruby scripts (whose files end in .rb). Ruby uses a lot of keywords to specify blocks and other areas where one might want to indent. For example

def foo( num )
     a=1
     begin
         # some code
         if a==1
             # more code
         elsif a==2
             # more code
         else
             # blah
         end
         # yadayadayada
     end
     return a
end

I can get indenting to work just fine when I use the indentNextLines="\s*((if\s+.*|elsif\s+.*|else\s*|do(\s*|\s+.*)|case\s+.*|when\s+.*|while\s+.*|for\s+.*|until\s+.*|loop\s+.*|def\s+.*|class\s+.*|module\s+.*|begin.*|unless\s+.*)*)"

However, if I add a unindentThisLine property, not only does it not work, it screws up my indentNextLines property. The following is how the same code above would look with indentThisLine="\s*((end\s*|else\s*|elsif\s+)*)"

def foo( num )
a=1
begin
# some code
if a==1
# more code
elsif a==2
# more code
else
     # blah
end
     # yadayadayada
return a
end

Normally, with only using the indentNextLines, I would get proper indentation after the begin, def, if, elsif and else statements. If I add the unindentThisLine property, not only do the lines not get unindented at the right time, but the indentNextLines breaks. As you can see in the above example, I only got indentation *after* and "else" or an "end" (which were specified in unindentThisLine). And only the next line was indented, after that it unindented.

So, it seems that the addition of unindentThisLine break indentNextLine, plus anything I specify in unindentThisLine does not unindent, but rather indents the next (and only the next 1) line.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a bug?
jedit won't print after Cisco VPN Client installed - WinXP
Submitted by rimcrazy on Wednesday, 9 March, 2005 - 22:08
I have a laptop with Winxp sp2 installed. Jedit worked fine. I installed Cisco VPN client and since then I cannot print from jedit. You select print from the menu and program hangs. I tried an uninstall and reinstall and it still won't work. Any clues?
Open dialogue box invisible or off the screen
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 5 March, 2005 - 19:43
I'm running JEdit 4.2 under WindowsXP on a IBM ThinkPAD laptop (T-42p). I go between two envronments, working with two monitors (my laptop screen plus an attached LCD), and just working with one monitor (my laptop screen).

Recently when I am working with one monitor, JEdit's Open dialogue box is off the screen, invisible, or hidden. When I click on Open it effectly freezes my JEdit environment until I ALT+F4 (close) the invisible open dialogue box.

How can I adjust the open dialogue box so that it's always visable?
error messages
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 28 February, 2005 - 11:38
I am new to jedit and am trying to use the XSLT plugin to combine .xml and .xsl files into .fo files for reporting. With a pair of input files which are both well-formed I am getting an error message "2: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration of element 'fo:root'", although as far as I can see fo:root is present and correct. With another pair of very simple files I get the message "2: Content is not allowed in prolog". Where can I find further explanation of these messages?
Click on a file with extension java and the file opens in jEdit in windows 2000.
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 26 February, 2005 - 04:56
Thought I would share this. I created a batch file called jeditstart.bat. The file contained the following line:

"C:\Program Files\jEdit 4.2pre15\jedit.jar" %1

The quotes were neccessary.

Then in My Computer - Folder Options - File Types - click on New button for new file extension and type java, then click ok. Now click the Change button and then click on other button and browse to your jeditstart.bat file and click on it to highlight it and click the Open button. Then click the Ok button.

Now you can double click a file with an extension of java and it open in jEdit.
Where's my find dialog?
Submitted by mlongmire on Friday, 25 February, 2005 - 17:31
I recently changed machines, from a laptop with screen resolution of 1920x1200 to desktop with resolution of 1280x1024. I copied over my settings folder from the old machine and now my find dialog is off screen when I open it.

What file in the jEdit settings folder has the positions for the find dialog?

Please cc any answers to me @ mailto:mark.longmire@infor.com

Thanks
Mark
Dead keys - can't type non-US characters
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 23 February, 2005 - 23:50

Hi dear jEdit users,
I pretty much love jEdit and so first thing what I did when I switched from WinXP to Fedora Core 3 Linux last week was installation of Sun JDK 1.5.something and lastest jEdit 4.3pre1. But what a suprise! I can't type certain characters on my Czech keyboard layout (numbers from 2 to 6 at aplhabetic keyboard). Because I have notebook and can't just use numpad and this makes work nearly impossible. I must copy&paste when I need these numbers!

After my web research I observed that is probably very very old bug in Sun's Swing implementations (see bugs http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4799499, and bugs 4935357, 4707542, 4765333, 4797332, 4799500, ...). Symptoms are still same - can't type non-US nation characters. Somebody reports german "sharp B", <, > and may other various characters. My case are numbers.

jEdit's keyb tester knows about these keys but don't pass it to screen (they are filtered). I can send excact dump.

I simply can't believe that all users at Linux do copy&paste to insert dead characters. Is there *any* workaround?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Have a nice day to all
Libor (Czech Rep, Europe)

jEdit under Windows
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 13 February, 2005 - 20:11
Hello,
I'm very happy with jEdit, but I've got a problem: I said windows that he should open all *.php files with this adress:
C:\Programme\Java\j2re1.4.0_01\bin\javaw.exe -jar "G:\Programme\jEdit\jedit.jar"
It works, but not with *.php files in directories with blanks. Unfortunately, all my files are in "H:\Tim\Eigene Dateien" and so I can't open them directly.
Can somebody help me? I really hope so Eye-wink
Thanks,
Tim.
Font issues on Windows with jEdit 4.2
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 10 February, 2005 - 23:14
Whenever I start jEdit (using javaw) on Windows (XP SP2) all the fonts on the screen seem to go bold (or something). As soon as I close jEdit they return to normal.

Has anyone any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks
Increase heap size used by jEdit?
Submitted by a992400 on Thursday, 10 February, 2005 - 22:24
I tried editing many files at once in jEdit v4.2, and got an error message from jEdit that there was not enough heap allocated. Back in the days of version 4.1, a simple fix was to increase the maximum heap size via Programs > jEdit > "Set jEdit Parameters" > "Command line options for Java executable", and setting it to "-mx64m". But now that Windows launcher and other handy things appeared to be missing in the new version, it seems I have to pass "-mx64m" as a parameter to jEdit.

So I tried adding -mx64m to the shortcut created during jEdit installation. (By the way, C:\_a\ is where I install all of my applications.) So...
C:\_a\Java\JRE\bin\javaw.exe -jar C:\_a\jEdit\jedit.jar
... which works fine, becomes...
C:\_a\Java\JRE\bin\javaw.exe -jar C:\_a\jEdit\jedit.jar -mx64m
... which doesn't work at all. When I enter that at the command line, nothing happens. I'm guessing that Java sees -mx64m as an invalid parameter, but unhelpfully does not report that.

I know I am able to pass parameters to jEdit, e.g.:
C:\_a\Java\JRE\bin\javaw.exe -jar C:\_a\jEdit\jedit.jar x.html
... opens the file just fine. But...
C:\_a\Java\JRE\bin\javaw.exe -jar C:\_a\jEdit\jedit.jar x.html -mx64m
... fails.

Any suggestions on how to get it to work?
Unsupported major.minor version 49.0
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 10 February, 2005 - 20:28
Hi, I just update to 4.2-2jpp via yum, and now when I lauch jedit I get that :

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/gjt/sp/jedit/jEdit (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)

I read somewhere that it has to do with my version of java and the version used to compile the program. Here I run jvm and jdk 1.4.2_06-b03 on Fedora Core 3. anyone can help?
ELF binary type "0" not known
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 8 February, 2005 - 11:09
Hi.When i first time run jedit it works fine then i turn off my computer and when i turned on the next time and try to run jedit i get a message: ELF binary type "0" not known.
Abort trap
I am using FreeBSD and jedit installed from ports.Please help me to solve the problem.Thanks.
Words disappearing
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 6 February, 2005 - 00:16
I'm having trouble when ever I type the words 'in', 'and', as well as 'or' they disappear into a little box. Can somebody tell me what setting I need to change?

Thank you.
ProjectViewer: No easy way to start an instance of it?
Submitted by malyvelky on Friday, 4 February, 2005 - 22:06
Hi, until recently I wasn't able to use ProjectViewer because there was no way to start it. There is no menu entry 'Start Project Viewer' or "New floating P. W,'. Finally I discovered I can use the plugin's actions 'Project Viewer (new floating instance' and 'Project Viewer (toggle)' to add them to the main jEdit context menu and start it from there. But I'm sure this is not the normal way. Is there something missing in my ProjectViewer's menu or is this normal? Thanks! /Kuba
Restore dialog window size?
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 1 February, 2005 - 21:39
The dialogs that opens when I click on the memory indicator int he status bar as well as error notices only show the title bar of the window and i cannot resize them. How can i restore the default size for those dialogs?
Using 4.2final on windows2000

thanks in advance

Daiwai
Danish letters
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 28 January, 2005 - 19:54
I have a problem getting æøåÆØÅ to work in jedit, I've tryed
-Dfile.encoding=UTF8
-Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1
and setting the encoding properties in the build.xml file.
I'm running Debian and æøåÆØÅ work in all other app's.

I have not tryed to compile it manualy without ant.

Hope somebody can help me getting to use this incredible editor more often.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348