jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
jEdit windows appear blank
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 21 September, 2004 - 18:09
After I started jEdit the first time it appeared to have hung. All windows were blank - but then I noticed that my hard disk activity led was flsahing - Java seems to be very slow on my computer.

Nothing (much) wrong with that, but then I went and changed jEdit Appearance to something else than the default (can't remember what), did a restart of the program as instructed, but now all other windows remain blank (a sort of a light gray color) no matter how long I wait.

I suspect this is because of the Appearance. Where can I cahnge it back, since the Global Options dialog isn't showing correctly either?
JEdit 4.2 on Win2K wants to open everything under the sun
Submitted by macbsd on Monday, 20 September, 2004 - 22:53
Installed jEdit 4.2 on a Windows 2000 machine, and I'm pretty happy with it. The problem is that it wants to open ton's of stuff it shouldn't. The other day I double-clicked on a jpeg file, and it opened in jEdit. I have the default type for ".jpg" files to open with irfanview, but double-clicking still opens with jEdit. The right-click contextual menu has "Open with jEdit" <- in BOLD first "Open" <- in plain text second. I right-click, select "open with..." navigate to the proper app, Check "use this Always for this type file" Select OK. But the next time I double click, it opens in jEdit. Whats up? - MacBSD
Problem while trying to close the editor.
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 20 September, 2004 - 17:01
Hello all, I have been using JEdit for past 1 year. Its the coolest editor. Recently i am having trouble trying to close the Editor. I have noticed this problem since 4.2pre13 to 4.2final . I am currently using JEdit 4.2final on Windows XP Pro, JDK 1.4.2_05-b04. Dose any one else have similar problem? can some one tell me what's causing this problem or how can i avoid it. I know i can kill this process but it looses all the history of recently opened files. and i will like jedit to open all the previously opened buffers. -yogesh

--Activity.log--
[debug] EditBus: EditorExitRequested[source=org.gjt.sp.jedit.View[active]]
[error] EditBus: Exception while sending message on EditBus:
[error] EditBus: java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
[error] EditBus:  at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.getBuffers(jEdit.java:1950)
[error] EditBus:  at ise.plugin.bmp.BufferLocalPlugin.handleMessage(BufferLocalPlugin.java:262)
[error] EditBus:  at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditBus.send(EditBus.java:148)
[error] EditBus:  at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.exit(jEdit.java:2467)
[error] EditBus:  at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.closeView(jEdit.java:3790)
[error] EditBus:  at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.closeView(jEdit.java:2224)
[error] EditBus:  at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View$WindowHandler.windowClosing(View.java:1731)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.windowClosing(AWTEventMulticaster.java:291)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Window.java:1121)
[error] EditBus:  at javax.swing.JFrame.processWindowEvent(JFrame.java:266)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.Window.processEvent(Window.java:1079)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3615)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1627)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1606)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3477)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:456)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
[error] EditBus:  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)
[debug] SessionManager: saveCurrentSessionProperty: currentSession=default
[message] HistoryModel: Saving history
[message] BufferHistory: Saving C:\Documents and Settings\ybkani\.jedit\#recent.xml#save#
[message] KillRing: Saving killring.xml
[debug] SessionsPlugin: autosaving current session...
[debug] Session: save: name=default
[debug] Session: saveXML: name=default filename=C:\Documents and Settings\ybkani\.jedit\sessions\default.xml
[debug] Session: Writing PROP: mode
[debug] Session: Writing PROP: basedir
[debug] SessionManager: saveCurrentSessionProperty: currentSession=default
[message] BufferHistory: Saving C:\Documents and Settings\ybkani\.jedit\#recent.xml#save#
[message] KillRing: Saving killring.xml
[debug] SessionManager: session saved: default
[message] PerspectiveManager: Saving perspective.xml

jEdit maxing processor
Submitted by Sako on Monday, 20 September, 2004 - 14:10
When I start jEdit, it loads up, but before it allows anything to be done, it starts maxing the processor and I need to use TaskManager to kill it. I am using java version 1.4, jEdit 4.2 final on a Win2000 system with all updates. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thank you.
Console stopped working...
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 20 September, 2004 - 12:09
Hi everybody and thanks for this wonderfull editor.

I have been using Jedit for a year now, and suddently for no obvious reason the console pluggin stopped workking. What I mean by that is that when trying to run any command that is not builtin, nothing happens anymore, just the turning animation on the left and when I press the stop button, it says that no process is currently running!
I was using 4.2pre15, I installed 4.2final, reinstalled the console plugin, still the same.
NT4.0, java build 1.4.2_04-b05.

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot,

Seb.
Can't get ContextHelp working on 4.2
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 19 September, 2004 - 17:44
Hello,

I instaled 4.2 final and the ContextHelp plugin. Copied help file (php), checked beanshell script.
Whenever i try to do a keyword search, it always shows an error as follows:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at contexthelp.ContextHelpPlugin.runScript(Unknown Source)

at contexthelp.ContextHelpPlugin.runContextHelp(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at bsh.Reflect.invokeOnMethod(Reflect.java:149)

at bsh.Reflect.invokeStaticMethod(Reflect.java:100)

at bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:872)

at bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:72)

at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)

at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)

at bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(BSHBlock.java:130)

at bsh.BSHBlock.eval(BSHBlock.java:80)

at bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:349)

at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:246)

at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:171)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:523)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellAction.invoke(BeanShellAction.java:76)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:229)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:195)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.DefaultInputHandler.handleKey(DefaultInputHandler.java:297)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.processKeyEvent(View.java:669)

at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea.processKeyEvent(JEditTextArea.java:4957)

at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Thanks for your help
Short (DOS) filenames in Windows using 4.2 final
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 19 September, 2004 - 15:33
I've recently started to use 4.2 final on Win2k. I've used 4.1 before. Now I noticed that the JEdit window title (and Recent files list, Save as dialog, ...) shows the "old" 8.3 characters style filenames, rather than the full Win2k name. It's a bit annoying.

Could not find any settings affecting this behavior. Any idea?
Strange "Auto Correct" bug
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 18 September, 2004 - 22:18
I have encountered a very strange bug in version 4.2 final. Whenever I type "in " (that's "in + space"), jEdit will replace "in" with a unrecognizable character. It is independent of fonts and modes. I do have the some plugins installed. However, I am not going through the process of eliminaiton to find out if they interfere at all.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Mac OS X 10.3.5
Java 1.4.2
jEdit 4.2 Final
Invisible Search Dialog Box.
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 17 September, 2004 - 14:38
Hi,
I'm running jEdit 4.2 final on Windows XP, SP1 w/ JDK 1.4.2_05. I have a dual monitor setup and up until this morning everything has been working fine. Note: I have messed around a little w/ the lookAndFeel configuration, but not recently.
Anyway, when I fired up jEdit this morning the search dialog box is hidden/invisible - when I hit Ctrl+F or trigger from the menu, jEdit shows that it has lost focus; further more I can type in a word then hit enter and the search is run, but I can not SEE the dialog box. As you can imagine, this very annoying. I think that maybe it is being positioned off the screen, but I have played with my monitor settings with no success. If anyone has any ideas please let me know; I would be glad to post more details, just let me know what is important.

Thanks.
Create new file and save it to FTP doesn't works :(
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 17 September, 2004 - 11:05
Hi all!

this is my first post here, and is because I'm experiencing an issue that makes me crazy... I usually work with remote files, and then the FTP plugin is basic for me. It works great and very well for me, except for one thing, I can't create new files and save them to the ftp server, everytime I try to save the file, jedit brings me an I/O operation error, the ftp plugin or jedit itself, takes the filename I've introduced as a folder name, and tries to open that folder, that obviously doesn't exists and crashes.

Any idea about this?

many thanks!
Xavier
the output file from XSLT Processor is "locked" and cannot be saved
Submitted by Matthew Harrison on Thursday, 16 September, 2004 - 13:20
After performing a transformation using the XSLT Processor plugin an attempt to save the output file fails (whether or not the file has been edited in the buffer) and results in an error message popup:

D:\xml\schedule\n.xml:
Cannot save: java.io.IOException: Rename failed: D:\xml\schedule\#n.xml#save#

(where n.xml is the output file and the file: #n.xml#save# is created)

The output file can be released from this lock, and be saved by either restarting jedit, or by waiting a few minutes or by saving or opening another buffer.

Is there anything I can do make the XSLT plugin release the file immediately

Thanks,

Matt Harrison
Problem with Tildes and accents in Mac OS X
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 10 September, 2004 - 00:59
Hi,

I tried the Mac Os X package and the Java-based installer and I have the same problem with that. Both of them was the 4.2 Final version.

I can read accents and tildes from a file created in other text editor, but I can't type accents and tildes with the Keyboard. So, I can't type characters like à or á.

I'm using Mac Os X 10.3.5

In my settings I've the Keyboard as Spanish ISO, I tested with Spanish non-ISO but it doesn't solve the problem.

jEdit is a great Text Editor, but I need to resolve it for use this Editor in my projects.
Jedit strangely slow
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 8 September, 2004 - 18:27
I’ve been using Jedit for several years now on a number of different machines. I recently installed Jedit 4.2 final on a PIII 1.2ghz 512meg RAM notebook. I am having severe performance issues for some reason. For example, if I hit carriage return, I get a full 1 second pause before that action takes place on jedit. Similarly, I get a full 1 second pause when scrolling in the buffer (a full 1 second pause between each step in the scroll). Each time, my javaw process spikes the CPU to 100%. It spikes for even only 1 single carriage return in a new file with no other files open in the other tabs. Even the menus are slow I've uninstalled all extra plugins, so I don't think any of those were the culprit.

I have tried this with Java 1.4.2_05 as well as J2SE 5.0rc. I have tried this with Jedit 4.2final, as well as 4.2pre15 and 4.2pre14, with the same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I use Jedit 4.2pre11 all the time on my notebook at home, which is a 1.4ghz mobile P4 with 512 … without _any_ problem. I simply can’t figure out what is happening. Any help would be much appreciated. Using something other than Jedit really isn't an option for me -- I've used it for so long and found it fits my needs perfectly! NOthing else even compares. I hope I can get it working on the machine here at work.
XSearch options in 4.2final don't appear in search box
Submitted by Andre on Wednesday, 8 September, 2004 - 06:57
The additional check boxes (e.g. word part search) don't appear in the search box despite all options being selected in the Options:Plugin:XSearch box. The search box is the standard one, working fine but without the extensions.
My system: jEdit 4.2final, Win XP pro, JRE standard edition 1.4.2_03
Thanks for help.

Note: jEdit and the plugins are great tools and a pleasure to use. Thanks.

Andre
Projectviewer
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 5 September, 2004 - 13:08
I have the projectviewer plugin installed with jedit 4.2final, but now projectview seems to exist.
What do I have to do to get the projectview?

Thank you

Mat
Serious bug with jedit 4.2 and FTP plugin on JDK 5.0
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 3 September, 2004 - 02:00
Hi,

I have noticed a rather serious bug when using the FTP plugin in jedit 4.2 with JDK 5.0 (both beta 2 and RC1). When I open a ftp folder and choose a file from an ftp site to open in jedit and then modify and save it, the hard drive makes a click sound and turns off, the computer immediately reboots, and when it reboots the hard drive turns back on. I've never experienced this problem with any other program, so I'm wondering what may be the problem here. On some files if I press save it doesnt reboot, but with most files, upon saving the remote file, it reboots immediately. I wonder whether this is a problem with the FTP plugin, jedit, or JDK 5.0?

any help is GREATLY appreciated.
thanks.
pb with final 4.2 on XP with jre 1.5 RC on xml indenter plugin
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 2 September, 2004 - 16:33
java.lang.NullPointerException at java.text.MessageFormat.applyPattern(Unknown Source) at java.text.MessageFormat.(Unknown Source) at java.text.MessageFormat.format(Unknown Source) at xmlindenter.XmlIndenterPlugin.processException(XmlIndenterPlugin.java:66) at xmlindenter.XmlIndenterPlugin.indentXml(XmlIndenterPlugin.java:116) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at bsh.Reflect.invokeOnMethod(Reflect.java:149) at bsh.Reflect.invokeStaticMethod(Reflect.java:100) at bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:872) at bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:72) at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102) at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47) at bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(BSHBlock.java:130) at bsh.BSHBlock.eval(BSHBlock.java:80) at bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:349) at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:246) at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:171) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:523) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellAction.invoke(BeanShellAction.java:76) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:229) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$3.invokeAction(jEdit.java:2910) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditAction$Wrapper.actionPerformed(EditAction.java:216) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source) at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
'Unsync' split screen mode?
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 31 August, 2004 - 12:52
This is hopefully simple. I use jEdit with a split screen, usually with a different file in each split. When I open a new file now, it's opening and becomgin active in both splits. I don't recall that happening before -- the new file would open in only the active split but get listed as open in both splits.

As it's working now, I have to click into the other split and re-select the file that I was working on prior to opening the new file, which is quite a pain...

Is there some setting I missed somewhere to "unsync" the splits, so that newly opened files become active in only the selected split? Or am I remembering the past incorrectly, and this is just how it works? I've looked at (I think) every menu option, and the user manual, but I can't find anything about this...

thx;
-rob.
jEdit 4.2final on Mac OS X behaves strange
Submitted by kimjim on Sunday, 29 August, 2004 - 12:14
The 4.2 installation does not contain a starter application "jEdit.app" as it used to be on jEdit installations on Mac OS. If I double-click the jEdit.jar, the splash screen says it is vers 4.2 final, but I get an error message saying the MacOS.jar Plugin didn't work and I should update it.

When I copy the old "jEdit.app" from an 4.2pre15 installation into my jEdit 4.2 folder and double click, the splash screens says it were jEdit vers 4.2pre 15, also I have deleted my 4.2pre15 installation! But the MacOS.jar plugin now works.

What version does this jEdit.app really start now? I mean, I deleted 4.2pre15! And the infostring in the info.plist of jEdit.app says its 4.2final, also I took it from the 4.2pre15 package! This really confuses me. Is there another way to find out which version is runnig despite looking at the splash screen or see the "About jEdit" menu entry?

Thanks for any help, kimjim
Not able to use the mouse pointer to scroll up or down in JEdit
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 27 August, 2004 - 10:40
Hi,

I am unable to use the mouse pointer to scroll up and down in JEdit. My colleague is able to use the mouse pointer to scroll up/down in JEdit. Are my settings not up to date? Please advise.

Thanks,
Shilpa
User login
Browse archives
« March 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338