If you don't have a java runtime installed, start with Installing Java?.
You can download jEdit at http://sourceforge.net/projects/jedit regardless of your OS. System specific installers are available for different operation systems.
Either download the Windows installer or the jEdit install jar. The system specific installer lets you install jEdit like any other Windows program, provided that you have Java installed (Installing Java?).
For the jEdit install jar:
If double clicking on the jar does not start the installer, follow these steps:
- If you want to play it safe and have the most stable version, get the stable version 4.4.2.
- If you're willing to risk a few glitches to try out and test the latest features, get the development version 4.5pre1.
- If you either don't want to wait for the next dev build to be updated or you're just interested, you can also build j Edit from source.
or follow the instructions on http://jedit.org/index.php?page=download&platform=windows#instructions
Mac support for java stopped with jdk 1.1.x, but current versions of jEdit only work with java 1.3.x and java 1.4.x. However, if you've just got to have jEdit on your old mac, you can use jEdit 3.2.2 which works with java 1.1.x.
You can either download and install with the Mac OS X package or the system independant jEdit install jar.
- Open 'My Computer' and go to
- go to the 'File Types' tab
- Create or modify the entry for 'JAR' files to open with the
javaw program in your
- you should now be able to double click the install jar to install jEdit.
You can either download the Debian package directly or
add these lines to
- Use the JPackage RPM repository if you use the RPM Package Manager
- Gentoo users can
deb http://dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/jedit ./
deb-src http://dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/jedit ./
apt-get update followed by
apt-get install jedit
jEdit is in the Ports tree under:
The current development version of jEdit is in the Ports tree under:
- Making Custom Distributions?
Revision r1.8 - 17 Feb 2011 - 13:48 GMT - Jan Northoff
Parents: Web Home
Copyright © 1999-2011 by the contributing authors.
All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding jEdit Community Wiki? Send feedback.