jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
jedit as default editor -- unexpected behavior
Submitted by dheitzmann on Saturday, 8 September, 2007 - 19:06
I've used JEdit for years, successfully. Under Windows 2k. About a year ago, my machine suddenly started opening JEdit whenever I tried to open a PDF file (directly from Windows explorer, or from IE)... I've done the obvious thing of setting the preferred application for .pdf files to acrobat reader, and Windows says that is the current setting -- yet, JEdit still gets opened if I double-click on a PDF file. The only way to successfully open a PDF file is to use "Open With...", which works, but is annoying. To my knowledge, this isn't happening with any other file type. I've tried re-installing Acrobat Reader, to no avail. The only thing that had changed on my machine around the time this started was the routine installation of Windows automatic maintence... A search of Microsoft's support site doesn't lead me to any clues.

Does anyone know where there might be some setting in Windows that is causing this behavior? Again, I've already tried setting the "registered file types" list in Windows Explorer, and this has not solved the problem. I don't think this is necessarily a JEdit issue, directly, but it doesn't seem to happen with any other file extension or application. Help, anyone???
-don
jedit as default editor for .ai and .pdf files - not expected
by hphillips on Tue, 02/10/2007 - 14:20
I just installed jedit 4.2 Under Windows 2000 SP4 to use for validating KML. It works perfectly for that purpose when the appropriate plugin is installed and configured as per: http://earth.google.com/outreach/tutorial_jedit.html

The problem that cropped up after the install is that when two different Adobe file type (Illustrator .ai and Acrobat .pdf) are double clicked in an Explorer window, instead of opening in their respective applications, they are opened in jedit. When I check the file associations, I see that both of those file types are still associated with their respective applications, not jedit. If I use File,Open in these applications then the files open normally. Adobe Photoshop .psd files are NOT affected in this way, so this does not appear to be a global Adobe application problem, but is beginning to smell like a jedit problem by its consistency with what dheitzmann reported on 9/8/07 for .pdf files.
User login
Browse archives
« March 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338