jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
My header files are always treated as Objective-C code... :-(
Submitted by ernest on Thursday, 8 May, 2008 - 22:19
How do I get jEdit to treat my headers as C++ code rather than Objective-C code? I know I can go into the buffer properties and change it, but is there some way I can make this a permanent (or project wide) association?

Thanks,

Ernest
Syntax highlighting for Rails 2 files
Submitted by mamboze on Saturday, 10 May, 2008 - 04:04
Hi,
I'm editing a Rails 2.0.2 app and I find that files with the .erb extension do not show any syntax highlighting. I'm using jEdit 4.3 pre10 with Java 1.6.0_03 on a Ubuntu Gutsy box.

What should I do to get some highlighting up and running?

Thnx in advance

Roy
jEdit Coding Standards
Submitted by rowancompsciguy on Saturday, 10 May, 2008 - 23:27
Hello,

I am a masters student at Penn State University and I am working on my masters thesis. My thesis discusses how complexity can proliferate through a software system as it evolves. Part of my thesis involves a case study of the jEdit program. I was wondering if any of the developers could let me know if jEdit complies to any particular style guidelines or coding standards and, if so, what those guidelines are. This would be extremely useful in my research. Any information you could give me would be very much appreciated. Thanks for this great product!!

Thanks!!
TextAutocomplete too slow
Submitted by powery on Monday, 12 May, 2008 - 14:04
TextAutocomplete (0.9.5) on JEdit (4.3pre14) is too slow for large files (3 MB). 'Start for buffer' takes about 2 minutes. If Ctrl+B is used, it's fast.

Options:
max. words: 10000
min. prefix: 2
remember: 2
belongs to word?: Character.isLetter(insertion) || insertion == '_';

other default

Any ideas?
F# Edit mode (fsharp.xml v0.0.1 by Nicolas Vallée)
Submitted by gorgonite on Monday, 12 May, 2008 - 21:12
It's just a simple fork of another edit mode made for OCaml :
http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/1269

I made some changes :
  • I put in another color the keyworks of OCaml, which shouldn't be used in F#
  • I added a support for the commands like #light, #use, etc
  • I changed some functions/modules colorations which aren't in F# core library
My work isn't good enough, but I wish people would improve it :)
Dark background
Submitted by martinsarsini on Tuesday, 13 May, 2008 - 08:09
Hi to everyone, I just started using jEdit and I already like it
What is the best way to have a skin like the ones in the screenshots, dark blue background and appropriate colours of syntax highlighting?
Like this one http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshot&image=21
How to open more unsaved buffers?
Submitted by powery on Wednesday, 14 May, 2008 - 10:51
How to open more unsaved buffers? When only one unsaved unchanged buffer (Untitled-1) is open (no more open files), then using File/New or Ctrl+n action opens no buffer.

jEdit 4.3pre14

Any ideas?
Need Tag List as found in UltraEdit
Submitted by tj_sony on Thursday, 15 May, 2008 - 11:55
Could anyone please tell me if I can use the option "Tag List" as found in "UltraEdit".
Multiple Buffer lists
Submitted by imgod2u on Thursday, 15 May, 2008 - 18:39
I find myself working on multiple projects at once and I'd ideally like to be able to separate the buffer list into different projects (in different windows). For instance, one window will have a buffer list containing all of the files I've opened in that window (that belong to project A of course) and the other window will have a separate buffer list that contain files opened in that window that belong to project B.

Is such a thing possible? Is there a plugin for this?
How do I remove period (or dot) at every line?
Submitted by Ethien on Saturday, 17 May, 2008 - 10:40
How do I remove period (or dot) at every line?

jEdit is a good program that I would like to use in my future projects except for one feature that really bothers me a great deal. That is period or dot shown at every line. I could not find a way to disable that. I have checked every option there is. I am pretty sure I am missing an option somewhere to turn that off.

I would like very much to continue using the jEdit without having to see period/dot at end of line.

Thanks in advance!

~Ethien
An error at Jedit startup
Submitted by squier on Saturday, 17 May, 2008 - 13:46
I have installed Jedit v4.3 in my openSuSE v10.3 KDE system. Jedit does start, and immediately shows this error message:

------------------------
The following I/O operation could not be completed
home/user/Desktop/icon32.png
Cannot load with the encoding "UTF-8"
(java.nio.charset. MalformedInputException (Input length = 1)
-------------------------

If someone can tell me how to clear this error, I will be very grateful.

"icon32.png" is the filename of an icon that I tried (and failed) to associate with the script that calls Jedit.

If someone can also tell me why I am unable to substitute that, or any other icon for the generic one that the script now has, I would be even more so. When I open the Properties screens of the script, and try to drop an icon on the existing generic icon, the cursor changes to its "forbidden" form.
Usage of GUIUtilities.loadIcon
Submitted by Hamza on Saturday, 17 May, 2008 - 14:13
Hi folks,

I am trying to modify the QuickNotepad sources to add an extra button to the tool panel (QuickNotepadToolPanel.java) but whatever I do I can't seem to load a PNG file as the button icon.

I've added the following bit to QuickNotepadToolPanel.java to add the actual button:

add(makeCustomButton("msp430.foo", new ActionListener() {
public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent evt) {
QuickNotepadToolPanel.this.pad.foo();
}
}));

..and I have specified the icon files in the props file as:

QuickNotepad.foo.icon=foo.png
QuickNotepad.foo.label=Foo

the icon foo.png resides in the same folder as the java sources and the code compiles just fine but the icon is not loaded when I load the plugin and the button is just the size of a tiny dot.

If I specify an absolute path the code compiles but jEdit chokes on startup and I have to kill it.

Do I need to somehow specify the icon location in the build.xml file? Can I manually add the files to the jar itself?

Quite an easy question I guess but it has been driving me crazy so any comments/help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Hamza.
Need help with macro to toggle tab size
Submitted by ernest on Tuesday, 20 May, 2008 - 04:58
How would I create a macro to toggle the tab size between 4 and 8? I tried to start one by recording a macro while I changed the tab size using the buffer options dialog, but the resulting macro only showed this: new BufferOptions(view,buffer) - which just brings up the buffer options dialog. I'm not sure now how to proceed. I want to learn how to write good macros, and eventually plugins, so I'm hoping for advice rather than a complete solution. But any help at all will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ernest
XPath tool is confused with namespaces
Submitted by eiku on Tuesday, 20 May, 2008 - 07:04
Hi

Is there a trivial solution for the XPath tool to recoginze and operate correctly with namespaces? For example, I have a XML document(WSDL file, I omit all the namespace declarations for better reading):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <wsdl:definitions ... >
    <wsdl:types>
      <xsd:schema ... > ... </xsd:schema>
    <wsdl:types>
  </wsdl:definitions>
If I try to execute XPath expression //types or //wsdl:types then an empty resutl is returned? As much as I know of XPath (and also experience from othe XML editors) there should be a single node as result. Is it just the the plugin is not usable or am I missing some other plugins or some knowhow (how to use jEdit).

Thanks for input,
Heiko

Embedding Java app inside dockable window
Submitted by donTomaso on Tuesday, 20 May, 2008 - 19:28
Hi!

How about making a plugin that can embed any jar-based java application inside a dockable window?
Maybe even using jdic? Or just something very basic configurable to use any application set by the user.

Isn't this something that could easily be achieved?

Regards,

Tomas
GUIUtilities.setIconPath doesn't work with pre14
Submitted by MichaelSchreiner on Thursday, 22 May, 2008 - 02:30
After updating from pre13 to pre14 my startup script containing:
GUIUtilities.setIconPath("jeditresource:iconfile.jar!/org/gjt/sp/jedit/icons/");
doesn't work any more, the icons are missing after jEdit startup.
The activity log shows no problems.
Move to text area from console
Submitted by ernest on Friday, 23 May, 2008 - 01:16
I have a macro that I use to save my current document to disk and then to the server on which I am required to launch builds. This all works fine. But when I do a save, the macro runs (running ssh) and the cursor ends up in the Console. How can I have the cursor jump back into the text area where I am working?

Also, the act of saving causes any errors in the Error List to be cleared. I can understand this given that Console does the error parsing, but is there some way I can tell Console not to clear the Error List?

Thanks!

Ernest
jEdit4AutoIt (jEdit4AutoIt.zip v3.4 by Thorsten Willert)
Submitted by Thorsten Willert on Sunday, 25 May, 2008 - 09:29
A collection of:
  • edit-mode
  • macros
  • console-commando-files
  • startup-scripts
  • XInsert-library
to create AutoItScript-programms.
More information you can find on the jEdit4AutoIt homepage.
Included in the archiv:
  • Ctags
Required plugins and software:
  • Console-plugin
  • Clipper-plugin
  • XInsert-plugin
  • Sidekick-plugin
  • CtagsSideKick-plugin
  • An installation of AutoIt3 and all the other tools you want e.g. Tidy ...
Should I build a Python/Django plugin?
Submitted by Ristretto on Monday, 26 May, 2008 - 00:15
I'm moving from Java to Python, and Seam to Django. I'm also ditching Eclipse. I used to use Jedit for Java dev. I'm back. I would like to have a few features available that would make learning and using Python and Django a bit easier. I'm guessing the features are already there, and I just need find them or download plugins.

I've read in the forums that using 'spaces' for tabs, and setting 'deep indent' is wise, so I've done that.
I notice that there is a django edit mode, and then I set the django type in SideKick to parsed by 'xml', so now the XML plugin show the structure of the template, and the edit mode bolds the django template language keywords. This is so totally cool as a start. Big thank yous!! to the people who put this support together.

For Python, I would love these three things. Is this available somehow? Perhaps an existing plugin can be configured do it?
- code completion for imports and methods.
- method param lookups which typing
- documentation lookups (doc strings)

If nothing exists to do this, perhaps that for good reason: It isn't needed. I've heard that Python is so well designed that a programmer can keep most of the key bits of knowledge in his/her head. I'm not there yet, and I really do like handy look ups to get info and save time.

If nothing like this exists, and you think it would be valuable, would anyone want to give me tips and pointers to writing a plugin or set of macros, or ??. I would be happy to implement a solution and commit back to the project. (At this point, I know more Java than Python.)

cheers
BeanShell in classpath
Submitted by jossoj on Monday, 26 May, 2008 - 16:22
I've seen some suggestions about this error:

[error] BeanShell: You have BeanShell version 2.0-0.b1.6jpp in your CLASSPATH.
[error] BeanShell: Please remove it from the CLASSPATH since jEdit can only run with the bundled BeanShell version 2.0b1.1-jedit-1

when starting jedit, but the replies ans solutions seem to be specific for MacOS.
Could anyone tell me how to resolve this issue in linux (fedora 6, installation of jedit by rpm) ?

$ jedit -version
jEdit 4.2final

More specific: should I change something in the jedit startup script, in my environment variables, or do I have to remove the conflicting beanshell version ?

Thanks, Jos
User login
Browse archives
« May 2008 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338