jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
SuperAbbrevs 2.0pre2 with ZenCoding (SuperAbbrevs.jar v2.0pre2 by kpouer)
Submitted by kpouer on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 15:40
Zencoding rewritten
Large Files under Win7
Submitted by kjg48359 on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 21:06
Hi, I've looked a while, but not finding out how to edit large files under windows 7. This one might be tricky, but I also do not have admin rights on the machine (corporate environment).

I think the issue is is how can I pass parms to the java machine, when in windows there's a executable (jedit.exe) that must do the work of calling java. I tried the "-mx256m" parm to jedit.exe, but it doesn't seem to be accepted.

I've also tried to run the start up parm by borrowing my sys admin's id and pswd and editing the entry in the registry for startups to the following key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

key: "jEdit Server" value: "C:\Program Files x(86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -xms64, -xmx256m -jar "c:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar" -background -nogui --i4j- dont-wait

(oh and yes, using the admin id, I updated "ij4.ini" in the jedit subdirectory to have the value "-mx264m". Nothing seems to work on editing a 300 meg file in Win7).

Thanks.
save a file with name in sequenze like versioncontroll
Submitted by leuveg on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 14:19
Hei, (sorry for my ugly english -_-" )

i use jEdit for text writing (Examen) and i would save my text files in a sequence like
Text_2012_12_13__01.txt
Text_2012_12_13__02.txt
Text_2012_12_13__03.txt
for Bakup. Smiling
In this time i can do this only per hand, but i looking for a plugin/makro/etc. that i get a button for 'klicking' and do this automatical. I know SVN and so, but i think that is a little bit to much for a simple single work text.

Has someone an idea or help for me?

Greetings,
Jens
I broke my /usr/bin/jedit.sh startup script
Submitted by Sn3akyP3t3 on Wednesday, 14 December, 2011 - 21:53
Environment:
Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop 64 bit. Jedit was installed from the repository.

Error encountered:
(at the command line) "jedit" under logged in user returns:
exec: 10: /usr/local/java/latest/bin/java: not found
however, "sudo jedit" opens the jedit editor as expected. No error returned.

Java:
Some meddling with custom Java installations was performed and probably the cause of the problem. Details will be disclosed when it is pertinent information.
"which java" returns:
/usr/bin/java
"java -version" returns
java version "1.6.0_22"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.10.4) (6b22-1.10.4-0ubuntu1~11.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode)

contents of /usr/bin/jedit.sh:
#!/bin/sh
#
#
. /usr/lib/java-wrappers/java-wrappers.sh
find_java_runtime java6
find_jars /usr/share/jedit/jedit.jar
run_java org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit "$@"

java-wrappers.sh called which calls /usr/lib/java-wrappers/jvm-list.sh

I'm unclear how jedit is determining "/usr/local/java/latest/bin/java" to be the location where java is supposed to be existing. The script that did some butchering to my Ubuntu installation is located here:
https://github.com/talltroym/Railo-Ubuntu-Installer-Script/blob/master/setup-railo.sh
Under the section # Download and Install Java there was some undesirable changes made that I tried to revert from. I deleted /usr/local/java, removed "JAVA_HOME" & "JRE_HOME" from /etc/environment, and deleted the symbolic link "/usr/local/bin/java" in attempts to recover from changes. I'm also boggled why "sudo jedit" runs while "jedit" returns the error.
Jedit Proxy settings password encryption
Submitted by decuman on Friday, 16 December, 2011 - 01:39
Hello,

I just noticed that my proxy settings password (which I do not want to expose to anyone) goes directly to .jedit/properties files with no encryption which, i believe, could be unsafe. Is it possible to add a simple encryption and instead of putting it explicitly into the preference file just encode it with some hashing function.

Thanks,
Nik
Qmake Edit Mode (qmake.xml v1.0 by flyer-explorer)
Submitted by flyer-explorer on Friday, 16 December, 2011 - 05:17
This is my first stab at an edit mode for qmake's .pro and .pri build files. It has:
  • All the official documented variables
  • Some extra "use the source luke" variables from qmake's sources.
  • All the current (as of QT 4.7)'s buildspecs with shortcuts
To activate the edit mode, you will need to add this to your catalog:

<MODE NAME="qmake" FILE="qmake.xml" FILE_NAME_GLOB="*.{pro,pri}" />

Yes, I know .pro conflicts with prolog, but .pro is the default for qmake as well. If you run into any problems. comments, or suggestions, email me at n-p-o-t-t-s u-c-a-r[dot]edu. Add the circle a where it seems appropriate.
How instal plugin Railscasts in jedit ?
Submitted by agnaldovb on Friday, 16 December, 2011 - 16:07
Excuse-me because I a initiation user. TKS
Possibility to reactivate the I-O Monitor
Submitted by barcla on Tuesday, 20 December, 2011 - 15:12
Hi,
I ask the possibility to reactivate I-O Monitor, inexplicably disappeared in the r. 4.5.pre 1; according to my opinion it worked better of the Task Monitor and in more precise way.

Tanks.

Excused for my poor english.

Clòaudio Barbiero.
modified bufferlist plugin with ability to ctrl click select multiple files, then right click to split into multiple windows
Submitted by mfenston on Thursday, 22 December, 2011 - 03:07
Evaluating jEdit as replacement for Textpad 4.7.3 ... this is one feature I can't seem to find on any other editor (Even the latest TextPad 5). I see jEdit has the split feature, I see the bufferlist plugin, but the two are not integrated.
PovRAY ini commando file (povini.xml v0.2 by monkstone)
Submitted by monkstone on Sunday, 25 December, 2011 - 08:42
Commando file for PovRAY to run povray.ini file from the working buffer. Single option is toggle whether the final image is paused in the PovRAY window. In my experience requires double-mouseclick to close a paused window. Now allows choice of quality, if specified in ini file. You should also create a macro:-
// povini.bsh
new console.commando.CommandoDialog(view,"commando.povini"); 
noob needs macro assistance..
Submitted by jdlx on Friday, 30 December, 2011 - 03:20
Hi,

i'd appreciate if someone could help me on this nobrainer.. (well not for me obviously Eye-wink :

I'd like to grab some selected text, or if none is selected, the content of the clipboard,
and then do some search/replace, add some text, and paste back to the textarea..
my approach so far:

var = textArea.getSelectedText();
if(var.length == 0){
// get text from clipboard & assign to var..
// Registers.cut(textArea,'$'); does get the clipboard, but i just don't know how to assign it to var..
}
esc_var = var.replaceAll("'", "\"");
textArea.setSelectedText("FB::log("+var+",'"+esc_var+"');");

cheers & thx..
jc
Highlight all matches with 'find'
Submitted by seminal on Thursday, 5 January, 2012 - 21:09
New to Jedit - liking it so far. When I hit ctrl + f to find something, it only highlights the first matched result. How do I set it to highlight all the matches on the script?

thanks
Plugins Not Installing (Suspect Windows 7 "Feature")
Submitted by jgamble on Saturday, 7 January, 2012 - 00:42
I've installed jEdit on my new Windows 7 computer, and cannot upgrade plugins or install new ones.

After attempting to upgrade Template, I got the message "The plugin C:\Users\John M Gamble\.jedit\jars\Templates.jar could not be removed", followed by "Error while downloading the plugin, please try another mirror".

New plugins went through the download process (successfully), but then reported "Error while downloading the plugin, please try another mirror" for each one. Changing the plugin installation directory in Global Options from "jEdit settings directory" to "jEdit application directory" had no effect.

I tried this with jEdit version 4.3.3 and 4.4.2 as well, with the same results. I installed the latest version of Java (jdk-7u1-windows-x64.exe), with no change.

So this problem appears to be Windows related, but I can't seem to find anything that would cause this. Which is annoying, as I really need to use the GitPlugin. Any ideas?
bug or feature? No copy&paste in Quicknotepad
Submitted by rovf on Tuesday, 10 January, 2012 - 12:05
(jEdit 4.5 running on Windows 7)

Copy & Paste (using Control-C and Control-V) does not work from and to Quicknotepad. Control-C also doesn't work on text selected at the "Tips of the Day". However, it works fine between edit pane.

Is this a bug, or is this feature deliberately not implemented?
Help (F1) does not work - can not contact to server
Submitted by rovf on Wednesday, 11 January, 2012 - 09:30
Calling up Help (F1) does not open a help window.

The activity log does not show any error. Actually, it does not show any activity whatsoever, except a periodic entry saying

10:27:35 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [debug] EditBus: DynamicMenuChanged[menu=recent-files,source=null]

The problem occurs independent on whether I try to call up the help using the F1 key, or via the Help menu.

Any ideas why this doesn't work?
Calling Perl Compiler from jedit
Submitted by rovf on Wednesday, 11 January, 2012 - 12:44
I'm using jEdit mainly to edit Perl and Ruby programs.

Is it possible to configure jedit, so that it invokes, say, Perl -c when saving a file, and have it display the errors? I first thought that the ErrorList plugin would do the job, but it doesn't. I guess I need some "supporting" Plugin which "knows" about Perl. I have already installed PerlSideKick, btw.
Assign shortcuts to numeric keypad keys
Submitted by fincha on Wednesday, 11 January, 2012 - 14:40
I'd like to be able to assign actions to numeric keypad presses.
This seems to have been asked for a couple of times in the past but the replies don't say whether it is possible or not. Is there any chance of it ever being implemented?
java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host
Submitted by anonymous4711 on Friday, 13 January, 2012 - 19:33
hi all,

i just installed jedit using jedit4.5pre1install.jar

when i run 'update mirror list' in the plugin manager i get lots of erros stating with - see below.
(i had the same problem with jedit 4.2)

it makes no difference wether i turn the http proxy on or off. the proxy works fine for my firefox.

any pointers?
need more info (like OS/version/etc)?

18:46:07 [jEdit Worker #1] [error] PluginManagerOptionPane$UpdateMirrorsThread: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host
18:46:07 [jEdit Worker #1] [error] PluginManagerOptionPane$UpdateMirrorsThread: at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
18:46:07 [jEdit Worker #1] [error] PluginManagerOptionPane$UpdateMirrorsThread: at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:333)
18:46:07 [jEdit Worker #1] [error] PluginManagerOptionPane$UpdateMirrorsThread: at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
18:46:07 [jEdit Worker #1] [error] PluginManagerOptionPane$UpdateMirrorsThread: at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:182)
18:46:07 [jEdit Worker #1] [error] PluginManagerOptionPane$UpdateMirrorsThread: at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366)
18:46:07 [jEdit Worker #1] [error] PluginManagerOptionPane$UpdateMirrorsThread: at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:529)
18:46:07 [jEdit Worker #1] [error] PluginManagerOptionPane$UpdateMirrorsThread: at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:478)
18:46:07 [jEdit Worker #1] [error] PluginManagerOptionPane$UpdateMirrorsThread: at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:163)
18:46:07 [jEdit Worker #1] [error] PluginManagerOptionPane$UpdateMirrorsThread: at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:394)
Mustache edit mode (mustache.xml vbeta by Kevin Tucker)
Submitted by tuckerkevin on Sunday, 15 January, 2012 - 17:02
jEdit edit mode for mustache logic-less template language found at http://mustache.github.com/ Since mustache is not limited to HTML, this mode does not assume that the template is HTML. The literal parts of the template are left plain and only the mustache tags are highlighted. catalog line: on github here: https://github.com/tuckerkevin/jedit-mustache
How is PATH in Console determined?
Submitted by rovf on Tuesday, 17 January, 2012 - 09:35
On Windows 7:

I opened a new console using the menu item Plugins/Console/Shells/console.shell.system-show

In the resulting console Window, my PATH is set differently to what I have set using the Windows Control Center.

Now I wonder how jEdit sets up the PATH for the Console application. I checked the Console plugin user's guide, but couldn't find this topic being explained.
User login
Browse archives
« December 2011 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82338